Interesting thoughts from a very wise man

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Vincent

Interesting thoughts from a very wise man

Post by Vincent »

Be ruthlessly free of society psychologically
Posted:
As long as you are acquisitive, envious, ambitious, seeking power, position, prestige, society approves of it; and on that you base your action. That action is considered respectable, moral. But it is not moral at all. Power in any form is evil: the power of the husband over the wife or the wife over the husband, the power of the politicians. The more tyrannical, the more bigoted, the more religious the power, the more evil it is. That is a fact, a provable, observable fact, but society approves of it. You all worship the man in power, and you base your action on that power. So, if you observe that your action is based on acquisitiveness of power, on the desire to succeed, on the desire to be somebody in this rotten world, then facing the fact will bring about a totally different action, and that is true action,not the action which society has imposed upon the individual. So, social morality is not morality at all; it is immoral; it is another form of defending ourselves, and therefore we are being gradually destroyed by society. A man who would understand freedom must be ruthlessly free of society psychologically, not physically. You cannot be free of society physically because, for everything, you do depend on society -the clothes that you wear, money, and so on. Outwardly, nonpsychologically, you depend on society. But to be free of society implies psychological freedom, that is, to be totally free from ambition, from envy, greed, power, position, prestige. - Krishnamurti, Collected Works, Vol. XIII",110,Individual and Society
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

and....so ....
What's your point?

The Forum has been fairly quiet ...
It is the middle of winter and you have thrown down some kind of gauntlet.. (??)

....or are you just snowed in?
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
Rob Cole

Another country heard from.

Post by Rob Cole »

Are you the arbiter of everything posted on the Forum now, John? Or do you share that duty with your alter ego BI Pirate? In any case, I doubt a little Krishnamurti's going to hurt anyone here.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Rob, John is my alter ego. I agree with John and Ben who both get a charge out of flying kites. "If we do not all hang together, we will all hang separately". :roll: :shock: :D :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Tim Keeney

Post by Tim Keeney »

You say,"...Power in any form is evil." and "...the more religious the power, the more evil it is."

God (whatever you may call the one true God) is all-powerful and is certainly not evil.

You speak of immorality and morality, but, absent absolute truth (God) of right and wrong, the logical action of man is to act in his own self interest. Murder, theft, and any other evil would be acceptable behavior as long as I benefit.

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life." and "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

If what you are trying to say is that it is more important to be good than it is to be rich and powerful, you are correct. "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

I agree that striving for earthly power, prestige, and material possessions is un-wise, but the fear (reverential respect) of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. All else is,"Vanity of vanities, all is vanity."

Perhaps rather than avoiding society and, thus, ambition, it would be wiser to seek the society of those who would assist in your ambitious quest for that which is true and good.

[/b][/u]
wmarkey

wisdom

Post by wmarkey »

Imagine
"Our problems are man-made,
therefore they can be solved by man."
JFK
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

WOW... This is GREAT!!!
Just as I was beginning to think that the Island had slipped into the Great White North hibernation cycle...

Vince threw out a gallon of gas...
Then, I, innocently, :wink: brought the matches ..
and low and behold... Robert, from wherever he is now, sparks the flint...
and the conversation lights up like the Fourth of July on Paradise Bay...

Well, so far, we got the Religion thing goin' on ...
but I'm waiting for the Politics angle, too.. (But please Ken & Kirk, not our Township woes)

...and then we can have us a grand ole time smack in the middle of February....

Jump on in folks, the water's fine....
Lennon (John or Vladimir),Godspeak, Gandhi, Gandalf or Gaddafi... all's fair!!

I'm cooking up the popcorn...
Ben Franklin
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

I would guess winter island life has been latent too long.LMAO
AEW

Post by AEW »

He had an amazing mind no doubt. I have always wondered how his homeland has produced so many great thinkers through out history yet still most of its citizens live in despair and poverty. Would be cool to see him and Charles De Montesquieu have a panel discussion if both were alive.

http://povertydata.worldbank.org/poverty/country/IND

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India

PS John Bolton. I have the design for the new gate to secure the micro Nation of The Republic Of Mrs Reddings Trail. It should do well to keep the undesirables off our lands (wink wink you get my drift). Would you please work on a flag for our new micro micro Nation?
See you this Summer. John as a fellow property owner and taxpayer on the Island I respect your voice over those who do not own land nor pay property taxes or even live there.
AE Wirth
Tim Keeney

Post by Tim Keeney »

C'mon folks!!

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation."

"No man knows how bad he is 'til he has tried very hard to be good."

Let's hear some talk!!!
Gary Voogt

Post by Gary Voogt »

A wise man? This is what your brain looks like when beef is excluded from your diet because your wacky religion teaches your grandmother has been reincarnated as a cow.
What blather! Lack of ambition is a virtue? Like sitting on de porch waiting for your entitlement check? if so, put a Bernie Sanders sign in your front yard so the rest of us know who we are working for.
OK, enough. I have work to do.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Adam,
Flag design, Hmmmn:
Perhaps a micro house setting on a micro island... or a silhouette of Mrs. Redding , whip in her hand, driving her horse carriage ...
Creating a nation is a hard row to hoe..
Having been labeled an undesirable myself, I am not akin to gates or the fencing off the world....as those walls can be used to keep you in as well as keep some out.
Finally, can we get the Mexicans to pay for it?
Ben Franklin
AEW

Post by AEW »

John Bolton she was a remarkable woman and deserves only the best flag that represents her great character and uniqueness. It must honor her resilience, independence and strength. I found two links about her name origin. I hope you find heavenly inspiration to guide you on this task. Here are some former great women from her place of origin. Pretty tough women! Catherine of Aragon, Margaret of Anjou, Boudica

"Redding Name Meaning English: variant spelling of Reading.German and Dutch: patronymic from any of the Germanic personal names with the first element rad â??counselâ??, â??adviceâ??."

"Recorded as Reading, Readings, Redding, Reddin, Reddings, Reddinges and others, this is an English surname. It is either topographical from residence in a clearing, from the pre 7th Century word ryding, or a locational name from the parish and town of Reading in Berkshire. This is recorded as Readingum in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle of 872 a.d. and as Reddinges in the famous Domesday Book of 1086. The town was named from the Readingas, a tribe who had auburn hair and a ruddy complexion, and were probably Anglo-Saxons. Topographical surnames provided obvious and convenient means of identification in the small communities of the Middle Ages, whilst locational names were chiefly given as a means of identification to those who left their birthplace to settle elsewhere. Early examples of the surname include: Richard del Ryding of Yorkshire in 1277, and Henry de Reding, the rector of Matlask, Norfolk in 1305. An early settler in the New World colonies was James Redding, who embarked from London on the ship "Bonaventure", bound for Virginia in January 1634.
AE Wirth
duffer

mind

Post by duffer »

if we all had true faith, what someone else says would not matter because god will work it out, so take a chill pill, if you know it all life is good!
duffy
duffer

adam

Post by duffer »

and why does he sound like a disenfranchised person????
duffy