Today is when the Bradley went down

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BobTidmore

Today is when the Bradley went down

Post by BobTidmore »

The SS Carl D. Bradley was a self-unloading Great Lakes freighter that sank in a Lake Michigan storm on November 18, 1958. Of the 35 crew members, 33 died in the sinking and 23 were from the port town of Rogers City, Michigan. Her sinking was likely caused by structural failure from the brittle steel used in her construction. She was the sister of the ill-fated SS Cedarville.
Built in 1927 by the American Ship Building Company in Lorain, Ohio, the Bradley was owned by the Michigan Limestone division of U.S. Steel, and operated by the Bradley Transportation Line. She retained the title of "Queen of the Lakes" for 22 years as the longest and largest freighter on the Great Lakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Carl_D._Bradley
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

A night to remember as several stood watch along our shores with hope in our hearts. :( :cry:
Skull&CrossBones
Sharolyn

Frank Mays

Post by Sharolyn »

I chatted with Frank (the sole living survivor of 2) this past weekend and mentioned this anniversary of his life. We talked briefly about him coming back to the island this summer. We should get this set for perhaps museum week this coming summer. He is a busy man and travels a lot. He has so much history to share. Thoughts are with him and his lost mates.
Sharolyn Hunter
dickie

Post by dickie »

I got to see Frank when he was here at St James hall. He gave a great presentation. The hall was overflowing. It would be great to see him again a larger venue.
DICKIE
medic5740

Video of Frank Mays presentation on Beaver Island

Post by medic5740 »

One of the many videos recorded by Beaver Island News on the 'Net was the presentation by Frank Mays. If you are interested, it can be viewed here:

http://beaverislandnews.com/Frank%20May ... adley.html

Joe Moore, editor
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Joe, Very nice to share the video. :-) :-) The first clip is a little herding of cats but after that, very worthwhile. :D :D A lager venue next summer would definitely be filled. 8) 8)
Skull&CrossBones
medic5740

News Service

Post by medic5740 »

Good morning, Pirate--

In case you didn't know, the Beaver Island News on the 'Net is a news service, so the first video clip was meant to show, and I believe the video clip does it quite well, that the event was well attended.

I agree with you. Another presentation in a larger venue might very well be in order. Perhaps others will agree with us, and I would be glad to video that presentation also.

Joe
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Joe, My comment on herding cats to get people to their seats was tongue-in-cheek. You do a fantastic job with News on the Net, keep up the good work. Some day I will have you over to Whiskey and we can do a documentary on pirates. :shock: :roll: :D :wink:
Skull&CrossBones