Lasagna Dinner to Benefit Beaver Island Lighthouse School

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AnonGuy

Post by AnonGuy »

@MJC3855:
I'm not sure whether your question comes from a genuine interest to ensure that the money collected from the dinner is used for the benefit of the students or a hardened cynicism, but regardless of your motivations I thought I would inform you of the following:
1.The Beaver Island Lighthouse School is an integral part of the Beaver Island Community. Through the purchase of hundreds of plane and boat tickets, grocery items (both personal and for school use), and thousands of gallons of gas per year, the Beaver Island Lighthouse School pumps a great deal of funds into the local economy, benefiting the entire community.

2. The students of the Beaver Island Lighthouse School provide community service to the residents of Beaver Island. A few of the projects completed over the last seven years include: cleaning the Mormon Print Shop Museum, landscaping for the Rural Health Center, laying the rail ties at the train memorial, raking leaves and chopping wood for elderly and disabled residents of Beaver Island, helping lay grass at Iron Ore Bay, providing the wait staff for the Senior Dinners at the Beaver Island Community Center on a monthly basis.

3. The funds from the spaghetti dinner are used for worthy causes. The money collected at the Spaghetti Dinners has been used for various purposes that benefit both the residents of the Island and the students of BILS. For instance, funds have been given to the Beaver Island Community Center. They have been used to help bring a Holocaust Survivor to the Island, who presented for both the school and Beaver Island Community. They have helped buy necessity items for students in poverty. Finally, they have helped sustain a school program that has contributed all that has been listed here.

Hopefully your question. "Why should we support them?," has been answered.