School staff to student ratio question?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AEW

Post by AEW »

How many students does Beaver Island have this year? How many full and part time employees does the school have also? Just curious.

The Mackinaw Island k-12 school has 78 kids this year. They have 1 principle, 1 secretary, 9 teachers, 1 cook, 1 custodian and two part time seasonal teachers aids.

Source:
http://mackinac.eup.k12.mi.us/domain/36
AE Wirth
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

I noticed that you have asked this question before...
all you get is crickets...

Perhaps it is a "State Secret" (?) :-)
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

Jim Campbell
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Just curious, why doesn't Adam just call the school and ask? :roll:
Myles & Sally

Post by Myles & Sally »

Or go to a board meeting
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Hey Adam
If you do get the info somehow, would you post it ,please ?
As I and about 1144 viewers are interested in this post
Thanks
Ben Franklin
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

231-448-2744

Call them and ask.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Adam -
Numbers are and ratios are important but finances are also. Wages and salaries for each individual is public information. Ask for the individual by individual break down, averages and total actual annual costs for comparison to surrounding area.
At first glance, I think BI and MI will be similar in most ratio comparisons. Being from a family of educators, it's not as easy as it looks. They work hard for the money at all levels in most school districts. It's still good for the public to check out the numbers from time to time so they become involved and informed voters.
Kirk
Protard

Post by Protard »

Hope this helps. I believe it's from 2010 but it's a start. This is public info so it should be published somewhere...

http://www.teachersalaryinfo.com/michig ... ty-school/

http://www.teachersalaryinfo.com/michig ... c-schools/
Protard

Post by Protard »

K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Someone writes: "As I and about 1144 viewers are interested in this post"

To which I would suggest 1141 are really wondering why AEW doesn't just call the school and ask. But, then again that would be too easy.
AEW

Post by AEW »

After getting no response on the forum to this simple question I sent a FOIA to Judy Gallagher on Sept 15th. She got back with me the next day and told me she should have the information for me tomorrow (17th) or Friday at the latest. Still no response but I know Judy will get it for me. She is a very honorable woman in the community. I will be happy to share the answer when I get it. I was surprised not to see it on the school website.

It would be a great benifit to the community if every tax funded entity on the island was required to post a detailed monthly status of their operational expenses, income, utilities, staff, pay, benefits, debt etc online. A island wide standard format. Also to have a publicly displayed copy available for all to see in the marina, library, transfer station, health center, airport, fire station, sub station, government building, EMS, township halls, Forrest view, transit, museums, road commission, transit authority and school etc.

Openness and transparency is a good thing and a great way to prevent misinformation, fraud, waste and corruption.
AE Wirth
AEW

Post by AEW »

As I said before Judy Gallagher is a very honorable woman in the Island community. She provided a very clear and complete response.

Dear Adam:

What follows is my response to your FOIA request dated September 15, 2015â??where you asked for the following information:
1. How many full time employees work at the BICS?
2. How many part time employees work at the BICS?
3. How many students are currently enrolled at BICS? and,
4. Please provide a list of all current job positions at BICS.

#1 and #2--Beaver Island Community Schoolâ??s staffing includes the following employees:
â?¢ 1.0 Interim Superintendent/Principal
â?¢ 1.0 Administrative Assistant/Athletic Director/School Meals Director
â?¢ 1.0 Secretary/Receptionist
â?¢ 1.0 Pre-Kâ??Kindergarten Teacher
â?¢ 1.0 First/Second/Third Grade Teacher
â?¢ 1.0 Fourth/Fifth/Sixth Grade Teacher
â?¢ 1.0 Secondary English-Language-Arts
â?¢ 1.5 Secondary Mathematics Teachers
â?¢ 1.0 Secondary Social Studies Teacher
â?¢ 1.0 Elementary/Secondary Science Teacher
â?¢ 1.0 K-12 Art Teacher
â?¢ 1.0 K-12 Special Education Teacher
â?¢ 2.3 Para-Professionalsâ??1 for Title I students, & 1.3 for 2 high needs Spec. Ed. Students
â?¢ 1.3 Custodial/Maintenance (for the 25,000 sq.ft. building used 12-15 hrs. a day)
â?¢
#3: The full time and part time staff identified here now serve 51 studentsâ??the smallest number we have had for many years. These 51 students are enrolled in all 13 grades. The reduced number of students is consistent with the reduced numbers in other districts in northern Michigan, however. The Intermediate School District attributes the overall drop to the loss of jobs across the northern area, along with fewer numbers of adults in the childbearing years. Though it will be modest, growing numbers are expected to increase gradually over the coming years.

Earlier this year, BICS Board of Education approved guidelines for a minimum set of staffing needs in light of the content standards, graduation requirements, and special education students we serve in concert with Michiganâ??s education laws. Our small elementary and secondary learners need teachers competent in their subject fields, and our special ed. students also need well-trained professionals.

#4: In terms of your 4th question, we have no current job positions in addition to what I have listed above, though pending reviews of several special-needs students may slightly adjust the part-time staffing numbers. This year we have several volunteers and two contract hires for enrichment courses, however, in addition to our official employees. They are offering special elective learning experiences in robotics, computer programming, health occupations, photography, and strings (with the Crooked-Tree Arts Center in Petoskey). We also pay two part-time coaches for soccer and basketballâ??as we are in the Northern Lights League. Our Administrative Assistant also coaches Volleyball and manages student travel to and from the Island.

So thatâ??s about itâ??but if you have other questionsâ??please let me know and I will clarify as best I can. I would also be interested in chatting with you by phone or in person if you are interested, as Iâ??ve learned much recently about the strengths and challenges in maintaining a small but successful small school on the most remote inhabited Island in Lake Michigan.

Appreciate your interest, Adam.

Sincerely,

Judy Gallagher,

Thank you Judy for your openness, honesty and transparency to the people of the community.
AE Wirth
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

The forum at it's best...
Straight out questions....
Straight answers from those who have the information...
The community is well served and better informed.
Hopefully this action will set a good example

Perhaps in the future there can be less FOIA requests and some good old discourse will be all that is necessary
Ben Franklin
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

The forum at it's worst...
Not the place for these questions...
Answered in the wrong place because of FOIA.
The community looks like a bunch of whiners to outsiders researching BI for a vacation hot spot.
Hopefully this action isn't repeated.

Perhaps in the future this forum could be used for constructive purposed and not as a replacement for a simple phone call.