RIP Jim Stambaugh

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jacquel

RIP Jim Stambaugh

Post by jacquel »

A wonderful person, teacher, friend passed away today. The island has lost a great friend. My prayers go to his family, and especially Donna! Love to all of you.

Jacque, Mark and Dan
BI Community Center

Post by BI Community Center »

Thoughts and prayers go out to Donna, their family, and friends. May you all be comforted at this time of great loss. Jim's contribution to our community will forever be held in our hearts and dearly remembered.
The Beaver Island Community Center...
at the heart of a good community!
Diane Sowa

Post by Diane Sowa »

My heart goes out to Donna. I'm glad I got to thank Jim for the incredible job he did for my boys. There is only one in a lifetime and he was it. Rest in peace.
Diane
Marie S Powers

Post by Marie S Powers »

I am so saddened to hear this news. Mr. Stambaugh provided great guidance to my son. The Beaver Island community will feel the signicant void. My heart goes out to Donna.
Marie Sutherland Powers
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

My heartfelt sympathy to Donna and all of the family. What a huge loss for all of the island! Jim's warmth, humor and genuine caring touched all of us. I'll so miss that wonderful smile!
Cindy
Tony Connaghan

Post by Tony Connaghan »

"Best neighbor always"..as my Mother would say...miss you Jim. Thinking of you Donna.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Jim not only leaves a hole in the hearts of all who knew him, he leaves a hole in the fabric of Beaver Island. A man who lived life by example, he has left a positive influence on many young students who can now carry on being proud to have known and learned from him.
Semper Fidelis
Skull&CrossBones
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Jim's passing is truly a great loss to this community. Our thought and prayers to Donna and all his friends and students.
McGrass
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

Jim Stambaugh:
The first time I met Jim, my boat had broken loose from the mooring in a storm, and I was starting the engine,that was partially dismantled. As the boat was about to wash ashore, the engine started, and off the beach waded Jim Stambaugh; no regard to his clothes and shoes, and he held, and turned it, so that I could go back into deeper water, and seek a spot to finish the repair.
I was deeply impressed by this gesture, as I am yet today. Amy asked Jim if he remembered this incident, and he told her that he didn't remember it. That's the kind of a guy he was!!
Jim was a "gentle giant" an example U.S.Marine type. I noticed through the years that he was a great influence on the students, and was like "one of them".
In later years, I was inspired by him, and actually made myself pay him some visits in his home. (as I'm somewhat if a recluse, and never pay visits) maybe because of my poor hearing.
We shared computer interests, and Spanish language study. I even, on the day he left us, used to email him jokes and some political nonsense.
I was saddened deeply, to hear of his illness, and also his departure to Heaven. Many on this island have impressed me, but none as much as this wonderful individual; God bless you, and keep you, my friend. Dick and Amy
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Our children always did and still speak so fondly of Jim which couldn't be a bigger testimonial to a person when they met him in 1st grade and loved and respected him all the way through and into their 30's! How can you beat a guy like that! Jim leaves a strong legacy and the love and respect of many many people. Fond farewell to you Jim!
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

What an amazing teacher to our children, he not only taught them but we learned so much from him also - how to be kind, selfless, hardworking, honest and how to treat people. He was the first one to show up and the last one to leave. What a wonderful legacy this man has left to all of us. RIP Jim! You will be greatly missed! Love and prayers to Donna and family!
joddy

Post by joddy »

A wonderful person will be truly missed on the island. I know that my sons have been the beneficiaries of: 1) the vast amount of knowledge that he bestowed on them through his love of teaching. and 2) the building of character through both the work he did as a boy scout leader and a true teacher of life!This does not even begin to touch on the vast amount of community service that he did!! It is with great,great love that all of my family's hearts go out to Donna and to Jim -- a truly wonderful human being!!! LOVE Beth,Stryder,Saygan & joddy
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

The passing of Jim Stambaugh is a source of deep sadness for the West family. He was a wonderful teacher and a huge contributor to our community. Thank you for your service sir to your country and your Beaver Island home!

Semper Fidelis Jim Stambaugh, Sgt USMC

Steve West, Cpl USMC
Grant West, Sgt USMC
Gavin West, Capt USMC
Elaine West, Marine Mom
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
Briguy

Post by Briguy »

I was fortunate to have met Jim and Donna a number of years ago through my piano tuning business. Twice a year, I'd come to Beaver Island (with the help and generosity of Don and Judi Meister) and usually they would want their piano tuned.
Jim and I had some wonderful conversations during the short amount of time I'd be in their home, particularly about music, banjos and all kinds of "neat stuff". He had an infectious smile and a wonderful laugh. He was just one of those guys you couldn't help but like.
I'm going to miss seeing him and talking to him again.
Carry on Marine.....carry on.
Brian Amato
Traverse City, Michigan
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

"As all the comments and blessings flow over the Island about Jim and his wonderful life and gifts, I wish to share an insight. Jim was like a bright light ignited by his love of God, Donna, family, friends and, in particular, his students. This light glowed with greater intensity over the years and we all have a spark of that fire within us. In his honor and God's delight let us keep the flame alive and let it be fueled by our love and search for the truth. May you enjoy a high place in God's Kingdom, Jim. Thanks for all you gave us."

A Message from Fr. Pat Cawley