Veterinary Radiology Services

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

Veterinary Radiology Services

Post by JFPowers »

As many of you know I have for years been able to utilize the X ray Processor at the medical center since as a great service to the furry patients of the island. This goes back over 20 years back to the old health center. I was informed recently that due to new protocols at the Health Center I will no longer be able to use the processor except during the centers regular office hours for all practical purposes. This presents a problem since much of my island veterinary appointment times are either after the center is already closed, or on weekends when the center is also closed. I am looking at purchasing a used digital processor since I have purchased Digital X Ray Plates since the center made the switch over a decade ago. So far the costs range over 10-15,000.00. This will be a hard cost to absorb in the veterinary clinic operation on Beaver Island, considering the number of X Rays that are taken.

I may be considering conducting a fundraiser this year to help alleviate some of the additional costs. I welcome any suggestions.

And finally Kudo's to Ben Delmater, Kathy Ehinger and Island Airways who provided life saving support to a veterinary patient today that was hemorrhaging profusely due to an arterial bleed as a result of an auto accident. The patient was transported to the mainland and veterinary services were performed to repair the damage.

Great Job Folks!! =D> =D> =D>
Last edited by JFPowers on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daddy Franks Restaurant

Post by Daddy Franks Restaurant »

Thank you Jeff. Without your great professional care, given to Mavis the out come could of been worse. I will help in anyway I can, to get you that machine for all the fur babies here.
CoastieGuy

Post by CoastieGuy »

Go for it Jeff. I will contribute and I know the BI Pirate is a parrot and dog lover.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Doc, I'm in :!: :D
Skull&CrossBones
lvietzen

Post by lvietzen »

Jeff, I think people have to accept that you might raise fees to have this available. Last week you did a thyroid test on our dog and you charged only about half what our Chicago-area winter vet would charge. I am willing to accept the cost of services that are really important to me.
SKATINGFAMILY

Post by SKATINGFAMILY »

Hell-o Jeff,
My wife and I when we come to the Island have needed your help a couple of times with our Golden we appreciate your commitment to care for the furry friends of Beaver Island. In that same spirit you can count on us to donate to help you acquire the equipment necessary. We will watch for your post.
Maureen Abele

Post by Maureen Abele »

Count me in, Jeff. I do have to say, though, that this new protocol has me puzzled. Why duplicate a service that already exists? Perhaps the community could somehow convince the BIRHC board to reverse this decision.
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

That is a good point, why duplicate services? The Medical Center is overbuilt and under utilized so it curious that the Board of Directors would not do everything they can to increase the revenue stream to the facility. It is the animals of the island that are going to suffer as a result of this decision.

Bob Tidmore
26025 Main Street
Beaver Island, MI
lvietzen

summer person question

Post by lvietzen »

I am only on the island summers, but pay big taxes and contribute voluntarily to the health center. Do we have any influence over the board?
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Thanks for all of your responses, tonight now their is a dog with an ingestion of a foreign body that should have X Rays done. I will have to find other means to diagnose the problem.

I will hasten my need to obtain an X Ray machine since the use of the medical centers developer is now outside of the realm of the time allotted for my access.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Jeff, This runs to the insanity that our community is suffering these days. No one gives a damn, the EMT, EMS, Health, boat, I don't care what, it's not about out you! This is not how this community survived for 175 years, we never argued with the head of the school or the priest but yet we allow township officials to openly lie? We are being deceived on a daily basis! Oops, its grass cutting season! Oops a local well known liar had voted and bid on a road project and used their position to achieve their means, or oops, we don't like the priest now because he doesn't fold for us, good job people, you will be standing on the dock waiting for the last boat!

I posted this on Facebook today, anyone care to challenge? Look in your heart, look at the altar, look in your Bible, don't worry about mine, worry about yours, worry about your God, your reality, its coming!

"I was thinking about my old man yesterday and how, through every bit of his life he never pretended to be anything but himself and how he shyed from ceremony and especially awards etc to make himself look like a big wheel in front of his contemporaries. Those people stepped in front of him and took credit to themselves many times over those years....it's still going on. His number one goal was do good and help people and the community will grow. Very proud of that fact!"
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

The Health center just called and offered to assist with X Rays if it is needed tonight. Thanks for that, we will continue to monitor the patient through the night.

As for John John, try doing anything here for "Profit" vs Subsidized. When I started the Hardware Store I was told that it would not make economic sense to do so, I did it anyway to help the island.

As for the veterinary services, I have for 26 years provided the island with the best service that I could and yes John John, it does not make economic sense to do so.

I will purchase an X ray unit tomorrow and then be able to access its use when it is needed as opposed to imposing on the health center.

And by the way who are you and what have you done for the island?
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

John John, are you amongst those looking for the truth in posting? Get lost, this IS a private forum and you wouldn't know my father from the man in the moon or you wouldn't bother, further, if you knew what really was happening to this community you would be ashamed of yourself.
anniep

Post by anniep »

It appears that john john's posts have been removed, and I am glad! I rarely post, but when it would involve Dr. Jeff Powers commitment to our Island community--including it's furry and feathered friends--I will do so passionately! And I believe anyone who has been on the receiving end of his tireless and compassionate care for a member of their family would as well.

I would truly hope that something would be able to be worked out with the BIRHC Board so that Dr. Powers would not have to undertake this expenditure (tomorrow), and that it could be mutually beneficial.

I know everyone with furry/feathered members of their families would agree!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Annie, thank you! If we cannot use these services at the very least, for our animals, what then? I think we (whomever) are making ourselves too big for our britches. I think this is bull. We need to remember what an outpost this is! If you don't want to take care of the community, don't! And don't take my tax dollar as well. Jeff has done and outstanding job, whatever the hour, we appreciate that!