Sexism Alive and Well on Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

MR

Sexism Alive and Well on Beaver Island

Post by MR »

I am completely outraged by the outcome of the golf league's decision to not allow Marianne Brown (or any other woman qualified) to play. The vote was held this last Wednesday night, and although not all voting members were present (they were not informed of the voting date), Marianne was denied the right to play-- not because of her ability level but because the "men" on the league would feel uncomfortable with a woman present on their "men's night out". So really, it isn't about the game at all. Hey, why not just meet up at the Shamrock instead???

Yes, we all know that Marianne is a lady. She would be completely insulted and shocked by any kind of burps, farts, or crude jokes that would go along with a men's night. I doubt that she has ever heard anything like that in her life. She is, in fact, a woman.

Oh, this is so very wrong! The members that made this decision should be ashamed of themselves. This decision is not only sexist; it is called discrimination. And get this: Discrimination is illegal!! Something needs to be done...

MR
Kathleen Dvoracek

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

Why do people post without using their name? Just curious. It seems to me that if I was wanting to get my point across to people I would want them to know who I am. I noticed yesterday "The Town Crier" had no name attached either.
MR

Post by MR »

I guess I just assume that people that live here can easily figure that out. I also didn't think that names matter all that much. To me, it is more about getting the information across.

But, just for you...:)

Miranda Rooy (MR)
Kathleen Dvoracek

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

You know what they say about people who assume! Or maybe that is just a mainland thing!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Truth is, they ARE supposed to make themselves known, knickname or not based on the forum rules. It is tragic that Marianne was voted down. I had already let it be known that I thought she should be able to play, after all if she competed for State titles, etc. she was qualified, no less than women that are allowed into PGA events. I really feel that some people are afraid she would beat them from the mens tees, guess the answer will not be known!!
Kim Connaghan

Post by Kim Connaghan »

I'm really sick and tired of people complaining because some woman didn't get on the Men's Golf League.It's called "Men's" for a reason.And honestly if this is all you have to worry about then you really need to get a life.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

To meet the standards of all those who are either offended or not in this tough time that we are facing, gosh I guess overseas wars and stuff could not compare, I had a friend call today, let's call him "Rick" to protect his identity.....................He said we should simply start another league and call it "Teletubbies" if I am spelling that right, at least they are not boys or girls, maybe that could solve the problem!!
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

That might work, but I think that the teletubbies are more into minature golf! However, the teletubbies were created in Great Britain. In Great Britain the oldest golf tournament of all time "The British Open",is played and in this famous event both women and men are allowed to compete.
medic5740

Unplayable Lie

Post by medic5740 »

There is an excellent book out there by the title mentioned as the subject of this post. It's title is "Unplayable Lie: The Untold Story of Women and Discrimination in American Golf" by Marcia Chambers. You can get a copy from Amazon.com.

The simple facts are that discrimination is illegal, immoral, and inhumane. Let's not dress this up as anything other that it is. IT IS DISCRIMINATION!! The private golf clubs get away with this discrimination because they have bylaws, rich members, and lawyers who help keep them private and exclusive. Beaver Island Golf Course is publicized as a public golf course. The Wednesday Night League has never been declared a "Men's" league until this past Wednesday night. I would doubt that a public golf course can discriminate like this legally, but I doubt anyone will take this to court. Nevertheless, it is just WRONG! I don't care what butt-scratching, farting, swearing, smoking, or beer drinking that goes on.
Most guys in this league would have to play this team ONCE in sixteen weeks. It would seem to me that this is not too much to ask when the alternative tells the youth of this community that discrimination is acceptable. "It's okay to discriminate against your teacher, if she is a woman, and it's Wednesday night." Is this what this community is going to allow? Is this what this community stands for?
I for one, will not play in a league that discriminates. I think it is wrong, and I can't believe that it is taking place on this Island.

Joe Moore
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Easy there Medic! I agree that anyone "qualified", whatever that means, should be able to play. My wife, for example, wouldn't consider it because she doesn't play enough.........but if someone can compete at a higher level they should be given a chance to qualify or play. As to the discrimination part, I don't agree. It is a mens league as someone mentioned. Tthe only reason I felt she could play is that there are usually not enough decent players to go around. I just didn't appreciate the "upfront" decision being made by one or two people and then have some deny they said she couldn't play. Now the "league" has voted to keep or make it fully a "Mens" League so the issue is settled. If you want to play golf you should do so. At least there was a vote, that is a democratic process whether we agree with the outcome or not.
MR

Post by MR »

"The only reason I felt she could play is that there are usually not enough decent players to go around."
Really? I don't like that statement.

Thanks for your comment, Medic...I agree completely. It is discrimination no matter how people try to make it look as though they are in the right by attaching "men" to the beginning of the word "league".

And as for Kim... I can see that just because it doesn't affect you, it shouldn't be a big deal. Most human beings are like that. It is called being self-centered.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Oops, I didn't mean could play, I meant might, sorry!!!
Kim Connaghan

Post by Kim Connaghan »

MR wrote:And as for Kim... I can see that just because it doesn't affect you, it shouldn't be a big deal. Most human beings are like that. It is called being self-centered.
I really don't care what you think mr.You don't know me so don't assume you do by calling me self centered.I happen to think there are more serious things going on in this world to worry about than some golf game.I do have the right to express that on this forum whether you like it or not.
medic5740

Once a teacher, always a teacher

Post by medic5740 »

I just want to make certain that we are all on the same page about the definition of discrimination. Here are a few I found on the Internet:

"Treating people in a different, usually bad, manner because of their class, race, gender or some other category instead of who they are as individuals."
youthink.worldbank.org/glossary.php

"an act based on prejudice."
www.ncpublicschools.org/curriculum/heal ... 07glossary

"The denial of opportunities and equal rights to individuals and groups because of prejudice and for other arbitrary reasons."
www.uihome.uidaho.edu/default.aspx

"The illegal treatment of a person or a group of persons based on a prohibited factor. Prohibited factors include race, national origin, color, citizenship, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or veteran status."
www.usd.edu/equalopp/definitions.cfm

My teacher question is this:

Which one of these definitions do NOT fit what happened last Wednesday night?

Joe Moore
medic5740

Only Twelve Teams?

Post by medic5740 »

Now I understand that this Wednesday Night Golf League has only twelve teams, four less than last year. There is another team that could be added if the administrator and league members wanted some more competition. MB and I will be at the golf course this afternoon to play with or without league membership.

Joe Moore