St. James Township General Fund Millage election

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Hunter

St. James Township General Fund Millage election

Post by Hunter »

We haven't been brought up to date on the progress being made to resolve the St. James Township budget problems. If the township officials are unwilling to give us a report on the progress made by election day Tuesday, May 5th, we should all vote no on the 3.25 mills for the general fund. Perhaps all the millages. If they are defeated, that will show the township officials that the taxpayer is not in agreement with what is going on. I am sure the township will put it up again for a vote later if it fails, but it would show them we are seriously concerned about the safety of our money in various funds and how it is spent. Something definitely needs to be done, vote no, bring them to the table for a real discussion of our future!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Couldn't agree more with this post! The "investigation" on this matter is now being soft peddled and swept under the rug. The majority of us are waiting for legal authorities to put forth judgement but in the meantime our own money is being used to hide the real facts. It's time for these people to operate in public and not continue to hide from the reality of the damage done. The clerk is telling tremendous lies blaming the citizens who "did not" pay their sewer bills, such as myself. We DID pay them, if we ever got a bill! I talked to my retired secretary who remembered this very well. The fault lies with management of our public trust and dollars. It would be foolish to reward them with another checkbook, time for change!!

Someone mentioned that there is a possible meeting being called by the clerk, deputy treasurer, a trustee and the old auditor. The new auditor who was brought in to sort into this mess said we should have nothing to do with her going forward. The only thing that could come from this is more cooking of the books to save their own hides (with our money). STOP!!

Nearly a month ago the board voted UNANIMOUSLY to get going on Donegal Bay Road, we were to meet out there in the afternoon to go over the specs and determine how far we could go with the money. I was asked to be there, guess what, I was not called but the other gentlemen went, violating the board decision. This project is being stalled by one person, Jim Wojan, who, it has been said bid with the other contractor. He did not reveal he was a bidder violating law, now he is holding it up for spite; in the process holding all of you up on Donegal Bay Road and more.

Mr. Wojan stated we had set up a reservation system at the Yacht Dock which we sorely need (nothing has been done) and we need a change of management down there, WHY is nothing being done?? They ran one of the most popular harbor masters on the great lakes out of there, Glen Felix. We are in huge decline down there and financially upside down. This is more harm to the future of our community. This vote is more important than one might imagine!
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

While I am not happy with the way this whole St. James Accounting/Record Keeping/Sewer/Road fiasco has played out.

I will say that deciding to vote the Millage down is short sighted and counterproductive. It is akin to the renter with a dispute with their landlord who withholds rent and then is surprised to find his belongings on the street and his wages being garnished.

If you don't like the way township officials handled this for the last xx years... vote them out.

Withholding funds - even in a legal way like refusing the millage will not actually make the situation better. I'd assume it'd reduce our chances of getting our roadwork done and will delay getting the township back on two feet.

I for one trust the committee that Kitty is heading up. While they might not be moving fast enough for some. Unraveling the pasts errors will be time-consuming and tedious.

Finally, the types of statement made in Rich's post really should have been deleted by now. The forum rules state: "Posts which are intended to attack or offend others are not appropriate." The only problem is that in the past when this needed to be done it was Rich who did a fine job upholding the rules at the bottom of the page.
Jim
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Jim, no one was attacking anyone. Stating absolute facts in this case. Rules? We are to follow forum rules but public law and ethics can be violated at will?
Last edited by Gillespie on Mon May 04, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
E. Naranjo

Post by E. Naranjo »

CoastieGuy

Post by CoastieGuy »

Jim F.: Jim Wojan accepted the position of treasurer of St. James Township, therefore he is a political figure. Richie was commenting on his performance, or non-performance, as an elected officials. This criticism should not be taken as a personal assault on his character, but on his performance as that elected official. I also agree that the township officials need to know that they are subject to the taxpayer criticism by the way they handle the taxpayer's money, which is apparently the root of some of the financial problems now facing the township.
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

It seems like the voters in the State of Michigan will be voting no on Proposition I by a 2/3 rds majority. I assume the voters are hoping for the legislature to come back with a sensible plan to fix Michigan's roads. Maybe the voters of St. James Township will think the same way and vote down the millage and hope the officials seek better help in solving their fiscal problems. Apparently the new auditors are being left out of some things and the township is going back to the old ones for help. Maybe the township needs a rude awaking.
IslandWind

Post by IslandWind »

It's a tough bullet to take but I think it is time to take a stand and tell our elected officials at all levels, enough is enough. It appears to be the only time they will listen to the public is on a ballot. I for one will vote "NO" on all local renewals to send a message to the township. If they come around and act responsibly, we can always put it back on the ballot.
Send the message tomorrow, vote "NO"!
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Hopefully everyone will make an informed vote. Does anyone who plans to vote no on the millage know what the ramifications are?
martin

Post by martin »

Judging by what happened in Peaine Township years ago, when some of their renewal millages were voted down, nothing will happen. The renewals will be place on the ballot again during another election cycle. They had a yes vote in Peaine the second time, but I think Peaine got the message from the residents.
martin
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Should the millage be voted down we would schedule another election which would be minimal cost to the township, however, we may get answers we have been seeking and establish a path to proper discourse between the public and elected officials.

Further, we might then establish (re-establish) the book of rules for public policy and ethics to keep officials obligated to the publics best interest!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Don't have exact numbers but the local millages passed but with a horrible turnout, another indication of how the pride has been stripped from this township! The operating millage passed by a vote of 72 to 52 (a huge win or a sign of the apathy we all feel?). Despite a mountain of evidence will this continue? A sad day......
IslandWind

Post by IslandWind »

Proud to have been one of the 52. The renewal of the operating millage is something we needed but this was an opportunity to say to the township with a no vote, "you need to start acting more responsibly". With an easy passage the message becomes, "continue being irresponsible and we will just continue to fund you with whatever you need". If the millage had been voted down and the message delivered, it could have been easily passed once the township board demonstrated good faith in becoming accountable to the public.
Kendra Vera Thorson

Post by Kendra Vera Thorson »

I guess another way to look at it is the MAJORITY of the island voters still have faith and trust in their elected officials!!

Well said Jared!!
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Kendra: A simple majority of Island voters would probably would have to be over 150, as I think the registered voters are around 300. So that is more like 25% approval.