Beaver Island Bird Sightings

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

KJWhitecraft

Post by KJWhitecraft »

Had the wonderful opportunity to go to a Kestral forum this past Sat. I like to call myself the "Kestral Keeper". Well one of them anyway, but then someone thought I was "keeping" them.. So..clarification was required. Great opportunity to meet with other volunteers. I highly recommend getting involved at whatever level you can. Pam is a great mentor. Kudos to all the birding peeps.. Love my new trail next door on Barneys Lake...
K.J. Whitecraft
robertg

Post by robertg »

Sat., 4/18:
-2 loons and I fished at the boat launch at Font Lake. They were more successful than I.
-Startled 2 Sandhill cranes at Barney's Lake, just North of boat launch. Skunked again.
-On Buffalo's Camp trail: saw 2 grouse, heard several more drumming; also, first water strider & garter snake of the year! Many downy woodpeckers.
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

4/18
American goldfinch in all his glory at Lawrence McD feeder ( Carlisle rd).....also last week same site and at our home .(McD road in town) lots of juncos ....hadn't seen them this year.....heard loon 11.30pm ( not a happy loon ) Thursday night....heard sandhills last week ....did not see them ...flying over our house....

life is good
robertg

Post by robertg »

Ruffed grouse displaying on the side of the road on Lake St., near Lookout Dr., just now.
Rob Groesbeck
cjones

Post by cjones »

Red Tail Hawk on Angeline's Bluff with prey in its talon's. Might not be noteworthy for some, but for me watching it soar down the road was pretty cool.
CJones
PhilBecker

Post by PhilBecker »

Thursday, April 23rd @ 8 a.m., two pileated woodpeckers in my yard at the intersection of Maple and Lake. Beautiful. I have pictures, is there a place to post them?
Brad

Post by Brad »

We saw some Buffleheads at Miller's Marsh yesterday. Cute little guys!
medic5740

Osprey on nest

Post by medic5740 »

Phyllis and I were fortunate to see two ospreys on the microwave tower the other night. Pictures and video are on facebook and on Beaver Island News on the 'Net.

We believe we captured mating of the two ospreys in photos and video.

We are so glad that the osprey guarding the nest has a mate and that there is a chance for baby ospreys this season.

Joe Moroe
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

We saw 3 Loons at Greene's Lake today at about 1 p.m. and 2 Sandhill Cranes. Grebes at Fox Lake and a Wood Thrush at Cable's Bay.
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

2 Pine Siskins and Goldfinches at my thistle feeder this morning. I saw my first Chestnut-sided Warbler near Tony Connaghan's house off East Side Drive.

At Little Sand Bay, the Winter Wren was singing along with a Brown Thrasher sitting atop a small maple in the fields.
McGrass
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Joe and I saw two loons at Fox Lake the other day.
Angel Welke

Post by Angel Welke »

Two adult eagles and one young eagle in the vicinity of Welke Airport.
robertg

Post by robertg »

Phil, your pileated woodpeckers are working on a dead pine halfway up Freesoil right now.
Rob Groesbeck
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Mockingbird yesterday at Kings Highway and the old Stone House. White-throated and White-crowned sparrows are back along with Pine Siskins-east side.
McGrass
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Northern Oriole at my hummer feeder today, so quickly got out the oriole feeder for him. Beautiful.

Also heard Snipe at Gull Harbor and along Hannigan's Road. We have a barred owl at our house hooting.

Jacque