Municipal Airport Water Warning

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

sbsp

Municipal Airport Water Warning

Post by sbsp »

As I understand it, the water at the Municipal Airport is not safe for drinking. Is there something that tax payers and the public should be made aware of regarding the safety of the water? This should be posted on the new Chamber Forum but it is not exactly good news if true.

Kirk
KaylynJ

Post by KaylynJ »

Hi Kirk,

I'm presuming you watched the videos of the meeting? It's not a public water source and i believe that they're planning on turning those valves off so it cannot be accessed by the public.
Last edited by KaylynJ on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaylyn Jones
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Kaylyn -
Thank you for the clarification. I did not view the video but learned of the potential problem in a chat room where BI problems and potential problems are discussed.
I will now be better informed for the next time I drop in on the conversations.

Kirk
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

If you or a loved one drank water at the Beaver Island Municipal Airport and now suffer any number of illnesses, you maybe entitled to a settlement, call 1-800-call-BIP. We will handle your case and although we can not promise you a million dollar settlement, you owe us nothing unless we win your case. :shock: :roll: :lol: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Dave P.

Post by Dave P. »

That explains it....got a bottle of it last fall to wash
the bugs off the leading edge of the wings on the Cessna.
It even cleaned the paint off....
Dave
debrob2

Nonsense!

Post by debrob2 »

Kirk,
I just read this post to my husband and his exact words were, "You have GOT to be kidding me! This is how the nonsense gets spewed here." Please know that your comments are being seen by both my husband and I for what the are, yet another attempt to stir up trouble where there is none.

Let me explain to anyone who might not understand what is going on. My husband worked to help rectify the problem of frozen pipes at the Municipal Airport. This problem was not a novel one. Many, many people had problems with underground pipes freezing this year...an unheard of number compared to the past 25+ years that John has done business here. Part of the procedure used to help thaw those underground frozen pipes involved having to put equipment down the piping. This COULD HAVE contaminated the line. Likely, it did not. But, as a PRECAUTION, until the weather permits them to properly chlorinate the well, it is proper procedure to NOT use it for drinking water.

And why was this not posted on the forum to warn people? Well, beyond that being ridiculous, let me just say that NO ONE in their right mind would suggest posting this in any other place than at the site itself.

And Kirk, on a personal note... Get some help. Find a hobby. Stop looking for something to be wrong all the time. You further no ones agenda when you spew this nonsense in attempts to disparage people. If you want people to at all take you seriously, quit barking at the moon!
AEW

Post by AEW »

Hope they can continue to have a fresh water point there. I know many folks have used it over the years as a fresh water point. Might be a nice little thing to keep going considering the financial fiasco caused by the airport committee.
AE Wirth
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Deb and John -
Thank you for the clarification on the airport water issue. Please keep in mind that there are several key issues troubling many of us on Beaver Island. Two at the top of the list are TRANSPARENCY and FINANCIAL regarding the townships' operations. Over lay these concerns with the fact that our tax dollars are entrusted to people at the heart of our concerns. I'm not even going to go into the $1,250,000 issue that the Airport Committee just encountered other than to say we have the above concerns for well founded reasons. The best way to combat rumors and concerns is for the people in public positions to be as transparent as possible when there are issues that will involve tax money.
The first thing I did before posting to the Forum was to go to Peaine Township's webpage and pulled up the Airport Committee's agendas and minutes. Two things raised a red flag with me. There was no mention of the water problem and there are no financial figures, budget or otherwise. Please correct me if I am wrong and please let me know if the airport water issues were made public by some other means.
I obviously ruffled your feathers but my concerns are not with the quality work that Robert's John Service has consistently provided to the Island's businesses and residents. My concerns are with the fact that Beaver Island has some very serious problems and until those are addressed I will continue to ask questions when they involve public officials and public funds.

Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Dear Deb -
I was disturbed by your comments ",... yet another attempt to stir up trouble where this is none.", "Stop looking for something wrong all the time". and "...you spew this nonsense in attempts to disparage people."
In doing my due diligence to assure that I had not missed a public acknowledgement of airport water issue, I went to Peaine Township's website to review minutes and agendas from the township board meetings. If I was searching in the correct location on the site, the last agenda posted to the website was August 14, 2013 and the last set of minutes for the township board was posted September 10, 2014.
I'm not stirring up trouble, I'm pointed out what I believe to be a problem with our township leadership in being transparent. If anyone believes this is acceptable performance by our elected leaders, please challenge me on this post and we can continue what I believe is a civil but troubling conversation.
The issue is not about frozen pipes or a warning on a water tap.

Kirk
medic5740

Transparency

Post by medic5740 »

I'm not getting into any debate here. I just want to say that one of the reasons that I hire people to do video is exactly to provide transparency for those interested in finding out what is going on without having to listen to rumors that go around the island.

The video to the airport commission meeting in April 2015 is on Beaver Island News on the 'Net. The minutes of the Airport Commission are on Beaver Island News on the 'Net. I will post the minutes of the April meeting as soon as I receive them.

So, I suggest that first hand knowledge is better than hearing it from someone else. That's is why our motto is: "Today's News as Close to Today as Possible."

Here is a link to subscribe to Beaver Island News on the 'Net:

http://beaverislandnews.com/Subscription%20page.htm

Joe Moore, editor
Beaver Island News on the 'Net
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Joe -
Thank you for the invaluable service you provide in filming meetings as well as other activities. For those who subscribe, the news couldn't be any more immediate or accurate. However, being a private enterprise, you should not be the one solely responsible to convey public information that the townships should provide constituents. As you may know, I was a charter member when Phyllis started the site and even financially donated before there was a charge for the service. Although for very personal reasons I no longer am a subscriber, I would strongly recommend subscribing for anyone interested in what is happening on Beaver Island in real time.

Kirk
Rachel Teague

Beaver Island Airport Water

Post by Rachel Teague »

The Beaver Island Airport water is safe for drinking but due to a previously frozen water line we have been advised to not utilize the water for drinking at this time as a precautionary measure until the frost leaves the ground and the water is properly chlorinated. Bottle water is available as needed. The Beaver Island Airport is classified as a Noncommunity Public Water Supply which is a water system that provides water for drinking or potable purposes to 25 or more persons at least 60 days per year or has 15 or more service connections and requires at minimum annual testing.

In 2013 the Health Department of Northwest Michigan determined that the water hydrant at the well head on airport property was in violation of current standards and needed to be either removed or the hydrant had to be moved to a new location and upgrades would have to be installed. This information was brought before the Peaine Township board to see if they had interest in upgrading the hydrant and it was not supported so the hydrant was capped. Because the Beaver Island Airport is not a supported source of water for the public to fill large containers or trailers, the outdoor faucets have been shut off unless needed for watering the lawn or other airport related needs. If you have any comments regarding reinstating an outdoor water hydrant they need to be directed to the local township board.

Thank you,

Rachel Teague
Beaver Island Airport Manager
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Rachel -
Thank you for the excellent summary. It is the information that the public, both Island and off Island, should be aware of for complete transparency and knowledge. Thank you for posting it on the Forum.

Kirk
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

If someone has "heard" there's a water problem at the airport and is truly interested in "due diligence" why would they seek information from a township website that everyone knows is outdated? It seems a prudent investigator doing their due diligence would call the airport and ask Rachel what's going on with the water. But no, that would be too easy. It's more fun, as others have said to stir up trouble, look for something to be wrong and disparage people. <----now those aren't my words, those are the words of others.

I've said it before, there's a couple of people here (we know, and you know, who you are) that never grew up and in the "interest" of protecting everyone make ______ (use your imagination and fill in the blank) of themselves.

Anyone who has been on this forum knows the players and knows their intent.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Ken you are absolutely right the website should be up to date, although I don't want to see that be the top priority in our township I do want to see it done. It will not be done right away though as Krys is off the island for a health issue so it will take some time. It may not be getting done in a timely matter but it is getting done, remember these people are suppose to be part-time employees.

Maybe you want to take a look at other townships on the county site, I think that you will notice Peaine township is pretty good compared to others on transparency and trying to keep you informed compared to many other townships. It is sad that many of you are looking for the negative instead of seeing how hard some of the people are working for you. I am not saying that there isn't always room for improvement but it would be nice just once in awhile to hear some of you notice the good your government does and say thank you for their hard work. I really doubt that will happen as nobody ever picks up the phone to say Thank You but they will complain.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn