people

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

duffer

people

Post by duffer »

To everyone. I am saddened to leave for a little over a week to come back to see my little island i love on the front page of the boyne city paper and to read the mess saint james TWP is in. its disheartening because i love this place and its such a negative view of how things should be. boyne city which is doing great as we languish and i don't see this kind of publicity as healthy. I have always promoted this community and hope my good friends move here eventually. its a terrible shame on a community i love so much. as a small community I hope it all comes to a head and something positive comes from this. I know the struggles of those who move here are directly affected by how the boards here view new blood. as someone who is still here and have lost close friends, its time we all come together for the better of us all and not just the few. were all in this TOGETHER! DUFFER!
duffy
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Well said!

Kirk
asilasun

Post by asilasun »

Amen.

Lisa S.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I agree Duff, hopefully this will be a turning point to a better Beaver Island.

I found these guidelines that were recently layed out at a Michigan Townships Association seminar a little over a year ago. It is something that several rural northern Michigan processes have gone through recently and I believe both townships here need to go through something like this to enhance the public's trust.

http://www.marquettetownship.org/pdf.ph ... wnship.pdf

We need representative, open and ethical leadership here to make Beaver Island progress beyond where it is today. We can only hope that changes like are outlined in this handout become a work template for both townships here to follow. If they don't and continue business as usual we will continue to have division here.

Many will accept whatever they do hook, line and sinker, and many will continue to feel left out of the decision making process, disinfranchised and disillusioned by "business as usual". The choice is for the elected leaders of Beaver Island to make a commitment to follow the clearly elucidated "Code Of Ethical Conduct " as is displayed in these guidelines.

The last election saw a pretty close split between the two main camps of thought on the island. One thing that would help tremendously would be that the various boards in the community more closely represented the demographics of the entire community, thus bringing in all viewpoints into the development of our community. As Duff said out of this time of turmoil should hopefully come a time of growth and as the guidelines indicate, that leadership must come from the top.
Last edited by JFPowers on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

Jeff. Your last paragraph is really on target.
duffer

Post by duffer »

its tragic when locals get by passed for jobs by off island people, while the ones here work to fit in and get by passed. if the island does not have work for locals, why hire off island and add to the job insecurity? so many people here have great qualifications, but people with special interest and an un dying need for control has chased off good folks, WITH MONEY. that kind of frame work is counter productive to the viability of a small town and the headline news make this place look uninviting and even hostile. every now and then the trash has to be dumped before you start new!
duffy
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

While I agree to some extent that you have a good point I also agree to disagree on Island people being hired just because they are island people. We need to keep quality, experience, education, ability, ethic, etc. in mind not just give out jobs. If in order to get the best for all of us, and if a person with those qualifications for any job is not found here and we bring in a new person to our community, they have my support. I was a new person, you were, and so on, and I for one would like to think that that was good for the island. We should always expect and strive for the best in all positions and a little competition helps even out things in some cases, we may not like it but it does. It also makes us put our best foot forward, makes us try a little harder, steps up our performance and a bonus, our community just gets a little bigger when we add a few. All of this getting into the open is just a way to force a better tomorrow and be involved citizens. Its a big world and we need to connect to the large base of knowledge out there and then put it to good use. Publicity is just that and I hope people keep watching to see how great this island is going to be. No shame in getting better.
burton
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Duffy here is a great example why we need new blood and new people to make changes. Charlevoix has recently hired the person who helped to transform the downtown of Boyne City, to next transform the downtown of Charlevoix. Sometimes outside expertise and new viewpoints are needed to make things improve. Recycling the same people and ideas often does not create postive improvements.

http://www.petoskeynews.com/charlevoix/ ... 9ca6b.html

http://www.petoskeynews.com/charlevoix/ ... e2471.html
duffer

Post by duffer »

oh i agree with some out side help for sure, but as a new comer once i know i could not get my foot in the door. i do hope that someday peoples paranoia of the outside world won't make us go back. i agree carrol that we need new thoughts here all the time or things will stagnate the way they did here for years!
duffy
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

I would love to see a harbor (downtown) development plan for Beaver Island. It is the focal point of our island. Great idea.
burton
E. Naranjo

????

Post by E. Naranjo »

So.... can you all help me out here? Just what is it that is stopping these creative ideas from being developed and implemented? Does it ever seem like there is a strangle hold on the livelihood of this island? I am asking because I have been informed that many of us are "uninformed" and may possibly be guilty of perpetuating misinformation. I would also like to add that if I am uninformed (which I am sure in many instances I am) than is it by design! The current blackout on public information and records needs to end immediately.

Can we PLEASE work TOGETHER and find solutions? Can we PLEASE perform public services in an open and transparent manner? Can we PLEASE show courtesy and consideration for the populace as a whole? I am willing to work with all on this island regardless of age, sexual orientation, religion, ethnic origin and social status. Who is with me?
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Eric,

These are three items I have brought up to the township board over the last 5-6 years, starting with the Marina system. I think there are many who would work on these types of things.

I don't know how to get the community more focused on these issues, they seem like total no brainers to me.... as they say sometimes you have to turn on the :idea: and see if it gets any =D>

Michigan Downtown Development Authority http://www.michiganbusiness.org/cm/file ... hority.pdf

Michigan small Town Design Initiative
http://www.spdc.msu.edu/programs/landsc ... initiative

Here is the link to the Reservable Harbors in Michigan, however this list is incomplete as Charlevoix, East Jordan and many others are also available to be reserved on line.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-15 ... --,00.html
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Here are some examples of marina websites. And here is the paradox. If you want to bring your family and a vehicle on the Beaver Island Boat you damn well better get a reservation early, like right now.....

http://www.cityofcharlevoix.org/city-de ... arina.html

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-15 ... --,00.html

http://www.michigan.org/property/beaver ... al-marina/

http://www.beaverisland.org/transportat ... al-marina/

However If you want to reserve a spot for your own boat, forget it, as when you call the number on these websites the phone rings and rings and rings, no recorder no answer period. Hence the lack of an answer when the question was posed at the meeting today. Again it is time to start turning on some :idea: :idea:

And Eric i know you love songs so here is one that kinda describes why things never change....
https://myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral ... -/38098130
The opening lyrics say it all.........

"Look at the weather, look at the news
Look at all the people in denial
We're running time, leaving grace
Still we worship at the marketplace
While common sense is goin' out of style
I thought that I would be above it all by now
In some country garden in the shade

But it's business as usual
Day after day
Business as usual
Just grinding away
You try to be righteous
You try to do good
But business as usual
Turns your heart into wood"
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

I knew I wouldn't take long, by the 6th post on this thread it happen. There is a mentality that island people deserve a free pass and special consideration because they are island people. This same mentality has been taken into the voting booth for a long time on Beaver Island. Now there are serious financial issues that can't be swept under the carpet. Suddenly everyone is looking for answers. This didn't happen overnight. Perhaps it's time some people look within. Until the attitude of a core group of people on Beaver Island figure it out. Until they realize there are off-island (Trouble making Strangers) that care about Beaver Island and would like to contribute, NOTHING is going to change. All of this talk about putting the differences aside and linking arms is nice talk and makes for a warm fuzzy feeling. All this talk will get nowhere if the mentality of the core decision making group continues...business as usual.

In my business we do what we do every well. Those things we don't do well we hire out. In the end we shine because the people we brought in put us in the best position and we excelled. Some people get paid for what they KNOW and some for what they DO. I'm willing to bring in people that KNOW so I can DO.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Thanks for the great post. You restore my faith that at some point things will change.