Flags at 1/2 Mast

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AMVETS POST 46

Flags at 1/2 Mast

Post by AMVETS POST 46 »

Flag Honors banner
Gov. Rick Snyder lowers flags to honor former Deputy Whitaker

LANSING, Mich. â?? Gov. Rick Snyder today ordered U.S. flags within the state Capitol complex and on all state buildings to be lowered to half-staff on Friday, Dec. 12 in honor of former Ingham County Sheriffâ??s Deputy Grant William Whitaker, who died Sunday.

Whitaker, 25, of Stockbridge, died in the line of duty as the result of injuries sustained from a car crash during a high-speed pursuit.

â??Deputy Whitaker was a brave young man lost much too soon. He risked his life daily to protect the lives of Michiganders across our state,â?￾ said Snyder. â??I thank Grant for his commitment to public service and offer my sincere condolences to his family, friends and fellow officers.â?￾

Whitaker served as deputy in the Ingham County Sheriffâ??s Office for the past 18 months. He previously served with the Stockbridge Police Department and the Waterloo Township Police. He was a graduate of Stockbridge High School.
AMVETS POST 46
BOX 319
BEAVER ISLAND, MI 49782
amvetspost46@yahoo.com
Tim Keeney

Post by Tim Keeney »

Thank you for posting this. I am a retired Ingham County Sheriff Department sergeant who still spends my non-island time in Ingham County. Needless to say, all of Ingham County is in mourning for Deputy Whitaker. Please remember him, his family, and the deputies and staff of the Ingham County Sheriff Department in your thoughts and prayers.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Mr. Feeney,

Sure hope the fleeing car driver is apprehended to help his family with some measure so solace. My heart goes out to all of you.

Trish Scott

Ingram County resident - (most of the year)
Tim Keeney

Post by Tim Keeney »

The driver was arrested and has been charged with felony driving on a revoked or suspended operator's license and felony fleeing and eluding police. He has also been charged with being an habitual criminal (He has several prior convictions). He faces 15 years in prison on each of the first two charges and additional time if convicted on the habitual charge.

Thank you for your regards.