Job situation on beaver island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

brycevickery

Job situation on beaver island

Post by brycevickery »

Greetings folks i am moving in about a year and beaver island is one of the candidates.

Problem is that i have not been able to find out much information about job availability on the island.
Schooling wise i went to school up to tenth grade then dropped out and got a GED. I am now 17 and will soon be a happy member of the work force.

Bottom line is what is the job market like on beaver island?
If the job market is decent would someone like me be able to land a job nothing special just something to keep me afloat while i pursue other online opportunities. [Menial labor is fine]

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post and have a good one :D
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

Most jobs on the island are seasonal. Although there are a few other jobs, like cleaning motel rooms, or construction, the majority consist of waiting tables or bartending. Most people are laid off during the winter months or have their hours drastically reduced. Some employers tend to over hire in the summer, again leaving less hours.
stardust

Post by stardust »

This is one of the problems any job would go to an islander before someone whom just moved to the island, you will have to a unique set of skill sets to make it on the island
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Bryce,

An increasing number of people here have online jobs and I recommend you get those skills and experience for a while before moving here. Some of the online work Beaver Island property owners do includes teaching, accounting, editing, sales of heirloom seeds, writing and web hosting. Perhaps some other people could add to that list.

Kim's post is pretty accurate, although in the warm months there is much more work available than is being sought. Specifically, physical work where you have to get dirty. Not just construction which is iffy and temporary, but handyman work such as cleaning gutters, windows, etc. Here's the thing, though, Bryce: You have to be TRUSTED which takes time to establish. You have to be trusted to tell the truth about yourself and your abilities, trusted to not spend more time than necessary, and trusted to not do anything illegal. You also have to be cheerful and very courteous, tidy, no foul language, respond ASAP to phone calls or other requests, state your fees up front, don't promise you can do everything, keep accurate records (time spent doing what for whom) and again, don't do anything illegal or unethical.

I know this from my own personal experience here as a landscape designer, installer and gardener. I have 35 years of experience, with 4 of those years on the island. I have been blessed with a good number of clients by doing the above.

Frankly, I don't think you need good luck. I would rather wish for you that you stay honest and do work others don't want to do, either in person or online. And by the way, there's nothing 'menial' about providing a necessary service!

Barb Rahn
Last edited by Rahn on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
brycevickery

Post by brycevickery »

Well i appreciate the honesty i will look to somewhere else then.