Wild Parsnips

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

Wild Parsnips

Post by Pam Grassmick »

New computer and please excuse the user's previous error in posting under Audrey's post. This post is important and I'm glad to know your family is enjoying the island.

It is past the flowering season for Wild Parsnips; but, this plant has been identified in invasive species surveys along McCauley's Road and on the south end of Kings Highway. The link below demonstrates that contact with this plant can cause serious blistering. Hopefully next year, the Charlevoix County Road Commission and property owners will allow these plants to be removed through spot treatment of Wild Parsnips. Cindy Ricksgers will be coordinating treatment.

http://www.nps.gov/piro/naturescience/u ... arsnip.pdf :D
McGrass
Beaver Island Gardens

Those do live here,sadly.

Post by Beaver Island Gardens »

I have seen those plants. Many flower lovers enjoy the Queen Ann's Lace in bouquets. Picking the wrong plant could really damage a person. If a child was exposed they might be scarred for life. I will help Cindy try to eliminate this invader. Thanks for all you do Pam.
mjc3855

Post by mjc3855 »

Lots of them on Indian Point by Don Coles
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Ok, I'm going to get serious about this one.

First, let me say that last summer I saw tons of this on a property on Iron Ore Bay but didn't know what it was. I also found it today on a bluff overlooking the shore at the Lighthouse School. Yes, I let them know and showed it to them. I also found it today on Pine Street in a sunny yard.

It loves sun and probably disturbed or open areas.

It's very easy to identify if you have the picture with you.

I URGE EVERYONE TO PRINT THE FLYER FOUND IN THE FIRST POSTING OF THIS THREAD, TAKE IT WITH YOU AND WALK AROUND ANY PROPERTY YOU FREQUENT; NOT JUST YOUR OWN HOME BUT ANY PUBLIC AREAS TOO.

IF YOU FIND IT ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY YOU CAN EITHER
1. DIG IT UP WHILE WEARING DISPOSABLE PLASTIC GLOVES AND PUT THE PLANT IN A PLASTIC BAG AND THROW IT OUT, OR
2) SPRAY IT.

IF YOU FIND IT ON PUBLIC PROPERTY TELL THE OWNER OR OVERSEER.

Can you imagine what kind of reputation we would have with this stuff giving our visitors and residents horrible boils? I can just hear the new names for our island.....
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

We also have another plant from the same family that has a large white flower-known as cow parsnips. I have seen it at the south end and also around Indian Point. It grows 5-7 ft tall and is found along side the roads. It can cause a similar reaction but not as bad. Thanks for all who are keeping their eyes open for wild parsnips. Next spring, we will use some of the funding from the Sustain Our Great Lakes grant to target the wild parsnips before it gets out of control.
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Thanks, Pam.

To those of you who are hunting the wild parsnip, please remember that if it is on your property it is legal for you to spray it with a ready-mixed spray. But it is not legal for you to spray anyone else's property. Just let them know about it.