Presentation on Common Core at school board meeting tonight

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

kdunsmore

Presentation on Common Core at school board meeting tonight

Post by kdunsmore »

I've had several questions about the 30 minute presentation I'm doing tonight (Tuesday) at the school board meeting (7:30 pm) on the common core and school reform. It's a board "work meeting" on identifying school year goals but it's, obviously, an open meeting so all parents, community members, and especially candidates for the school board are invited to attend and get an intro into the new national standards (common core, next generation science standards, social studies C-3 framework) and research on the practices that effective schools are using to support change. My understanding is that my presentation is first (so 7:30-8 pm) and it's a shortened version of a workshop I did for the school boards in Oregon at their annual convention as part of my work with the National Center for Literacy Education.

Here's a brief overview of what I'll be sharing:
â?¢ What are the new national standards and how did they develop?
â?¢ What are the main changes that we should be seeing in our school because of the common core and new assessments?
â?¢ How do these standards impact the goals we have on BI for student learning, student assessment, and educator evaluation?
â?¢ What are successful schools around the country doing to effectively implement the changes required by new standards?
â?¢ What questions should we be asking or issues should we be discussing here in our school to prepare our students and teachers for these new learning goals?
KaiLonnie Dunsmore
kailonnie.dunsmore@gmail.com