Bill Cashman RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Bill Cashman RIP

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Bill passed away last evening. More information will be posted as it becomes available. Bill will certainly be missed and it will be hard to fill his shoes at the Museums.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Bill will be on the 11:30 a.m. boat from Charlevoix on Tuesday. There will be a Full Burial Service at Holy Cross Cemetery at about 2:00 p.m. officiated by Father Jim.
Rob Cole

Post by Rob Cole »

Bill is irreplaceable. He loved, promoted, and served the island, it's history, it's natural beauty, and its unique culture so well over so many years, in so many different ways. He was one of the best friends I ever had. More than that, he was a mentor whose imagination, creativity, vision, and sense of humor never failed him, or me. I will never know a personal ally and advocate like him again. He never stopped encouraging me and others to be all we could be. His passing is a loss to all those who knew and loved him, and leaves a void in my life which cannot be filled. My thoughts are with Joann and Jeff, the Historical Society, and the island community at large.

Thank you Bill, for all you were and all you did for us over forty years, in the place which you served as an unofficial ambassador and tireless force for its betterment. You will be so very deeply missed; and I know for a long time to come, I will catch myself walking down the hill to the Museum, wanting to stop in to see you. Part of you will always be there now.
Lois Sowa Stipp

Post by Lois Sowa Stipp »

Thank you, Rob, for saying what I could not put into words.
Lois Sowa Stipp
joddy

Post by joddy »

All of our love goes out to Joanne and Jeff. Bill was one of the first people we met when we came to the island. he will forever live in our hearts!!!
Love ~~ Beth, Stryder, Saygan and joddy
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Bill was great person who always embodied the best of Beaver Island. Our thoughts and prayers are with Joanne and Jeff as you deal with this great personal loss. The island has lost a great community leader who gave us all so much all the time.
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Robert, you said it perfectly
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

This fantastic positive person will certainly be missed by all of Beaver Island and the people, and especially the people that were close to him.
Adam Richards

Post by Adam Richards »

Bill was so encouraging. He had a way of making you feel important. He took an interest in your welfare and what your hopes and dreams were. Every time I saw him I felt like he was happy to see me. What a blessing to have known him. He has helped our family to see Beaver Island as our home.
Beaver Island Jewelry

Bill

Post by Beaver Island Jewelry »

Rob said it perfectly about Bill being an island gem. He will be missed.

Our thoughts and prayers to Jeff and Joanne.

Nancy and Cary
PWickering

Post by PWickering »

All my sympathy to Joann and Jeff Cashman
Your Husband and Father was a great person to so many, with an intelligent loving energy that Will live on.
He used his intelligence wisely to benefit all he came in contact with and his heart was always in the right place.
I will never forget his kindness, when he picked me up at the airport, drove me around to bibco, I remember his thoughtful words, " some people have to meet the boat every day to see who comes over " He was trying to see if I would be home sick. He brought me to his home to meet his wife, who, he was so proud to Love. It breaks my heart to know how much he will be missed by those that Loved him, because for the little I knew him, I will miss him greatly, Beaver Island will.
I have a few stories that I cherish of Bill, will never forget his laugh and smile, and regret very much that we are out of town and will not be able to be with everyone on Tuesday.
Joann and Jeff, please accept our heart felt condolences.
Patty and Fred Schoonbeck
Fred Schoonbeck

"We love and pray for you Bill, Jeff and JoAnn"

Post by Fred Schoonbeck »

My wife and I feel a part of our hearts is missing... :-(

I have never posted my feelings on the forum before... And since moving here, I've always been tentative in my steps (as I guess it takes time to feel part of a community that I'm so new to)...

"Bill and his family were the first I met before moving here"... And JoAnn was working at the "Emerald Isle Hotel Hotel" at the time... "She was a bright star and kind heart from the moment I took my first steps on this Island

"Seems now like she and her family gave me a large part of security the and courage I needed to build here.

"My beautiful wife" came after my first experience with Bill and his family... And she smiled from the day we came here as a couple.

"Nothing has changed"

All of you, were introduced to us by Bill and his family... We moved here, and "I know now" they loved you all...

And now I know he looks down on all of us with that same kind heart...

What a tremendous loss "I pray for someone who emulates his lessons"

Thank you Bill JoAnn, and Jeff, and thank you Beaver Island.

Fred And Patty Schoonbeck
kathleen mcnamara

Post by kathleen mcnamara »

I can only echo all that has been said on these posts about Bill Cashman. I too will miss him; his constancy, his always positive and forward thinking attitude, his intelligence and his passion for the island. If everyone on the island could look at issues and concerns with his can-do, no-blame attitude, the island would benefit much. Very best wishes to Joanne and Jeff, who remain to continue their family tradition of embracing and promoting the best in everyone around them.
Kitty McNamara
kittym@tds.net
lindawearn

Post by lindawearn »

Positive thoughts and prayers go out to Joann and Jeff at this sad time. Bill was a kind and gentle soul, loved the Island people and its history, and positively made a difference to Island life.
nancy ferguson

Post by nancy ferguson »

Joanne and Jeff,

Along with you, Camp Quality and our special kids will greatly miss Bill. From our very first years, he was so supportive, opening the museums so the kids could learn in a fun way more about Beaver Island , its inhabitants and its history. He also included in the Beaver Beacon many stories and photos of all of our adventures. Our campers felt quite famous.

He was such good friend to me and to Camp Quality for 14 years. He will be greatly missed.

Nancy Ferguson