Mosquitoes vs Bats

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

thenomads

Mosquitoes vs Bats

Post by thenomads »

In case you hadn't noticed it SEEMS like there are many more mosquitoes around, especially in the wooded areas and at Nomad! Until someone mentioned to me that they had not seen any bats, the increase in mosquito population was all we were thinking. I mentioned this to one of my nieces who brought up the fact that bats have been dying off in some areas of our country. Check out this link http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_inform ... _syndrome/ and see if you agree with me that we are close enough to one of the affected areas in the southern UP that the decline in bat population might be the real problem rather than more mosquitoes.

Of course, I'm no authority....just thinking/wondering! Anyone else have any information on this?

Kathy Brouard
Fred Kellaway

Mosquitos

Post by Fred Kellaway »

That's an interesting idea. I have another idea. Because the lake level is higher this year, it seems like there are increased mosquito breeding grounds on the Western shore beaches. It seems like the stony/grassy beaches there collect shallow areas of standing water when the lake level rises and ideally these could be sprayed in the late spring although I'm not sure if there's any ecologically safe agent for doing that.
Kellaway