Anyone have stories about wailers or keeners at Irish wakes?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Patrick S. McGinnity

Anyone have stories about wailers or keeners at Irish wakes?

Post by Patrick S. McGinnity »

I've found references to keeners in the Helen Collar papers in the Clarke Hist. Library online archive. Does anyone remember any stories or references to someone keening at wakes on the Island? This is a really interesting Irish tradition that made the trip to our shores and survived here for a while. They had been long condemned in Ireland by the clergy.

Here are the official "Wailers" Ms. Collar mentioned:

1. Mrs. Green (Red Dan's wife; she was the mother of Lizzie, Mrs. Andy Mary Ellen,
Gallagher)
2. Hannah Johnson - Bid Sendenburg says she still remembers her cry at the grave of "Oh gora, oh mora" - whatever that means (Bid doesn't know); note: the 1st line of a keen in the Halls' book - "O mo cara" - O my love.
3. "Nangog" O'Donnell (Darkey Mike's wife)"

If that dredges up even the most insignificant memory or story, I'd love to hear (or read) it! Anything at all, even if it is only that you heard there was a wailer at so and so's wake. Also any other stories of the old time wakes would be tremendously helpful. Thanks all!
MikeF

Wailers

Post by MikeF »

You're right - the tradition of wailing came from the old country and did survive on Beaver Island until the early 1900s. My great-great grandmother (Hannah Johnson) as mentioned was known to be a wailer at Irish Wakes.