Attention all dog owners

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Williams

Attention all dog owners

Post by Williams »

It has come to the attention of the Charlevoix County Sheriffâ??s Office in conjunction with Animal Control that a large number of dogs on Beaver Island are NOT licensed through Charlevoix County.

The Sheriffâ??s Office is trying to find the best way for our islanders to comply with the law and get your animals up to date with their rabies shots and county licenses.

The cost for a County License ranges from $5.00 for a 1 yr up to $40.00 for a 3 yr and can be done by mail. In order to obtain a county license, your dog must be up to date on his/her rabies shot.

Jeff Powers has agreed to hold a one day clinic on Thursday, June 12th between 10am-4pm. During the clinic, a rabies shot will be reduced to just $17.00 (regular price $48.00)

Jeff will also have additional animal products at a reduced rate.

The Charlevoix County Sheriffâ??s Office will also be on hand with the proper paperwork needed to obtain a County Dog License.

Strict enforcement of any unlicensed dogs will go into effect after the completion of the clinic.

Please understand that our intention is to be able to quickly identify any loose dogs and to ensure the safety of our citizens.

I would also ask that anyone who has animal complaints/issues to please contact me directly (448-2700) or contact 911. Andyâ??s Grooming Barn (Andy Kohls) is not responsible for loose dogs, nor should be contacted to identify or take in any animals.

Deputy Travis Williams
Charlevoix County Sheriffâ??s Office
1000 Grant Street
Charlevoix MI 49720
(231) 448-2700
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Last year the above statement is what the Sheriff's Dept. set up.

If your dog is licensed they will contact you if it is picked up, if it isn't licensed then it will be sent across and held there as soon as there is an available boat/plane, this is what the Sheriff and Under Sheriff had stated in a meeting that I was in with them last year.

I am not able to legal hold the dogs for the county, if I get a stray dog all I will do is call 911 as I am suppose too. I have had several people contact me about lost/found dogs already this summer and last night somebody brought a dog to me. Please just call 911 and dispatch will send an officer out if you find or lose your dog, there is nothing I am able to do and they will hold the dog until the owner is located.

Thanks
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

Please note that this original message was posted last year, in 2014. We've had several calls regarding the rabies clinic. That is not going on at this time, though Jeff may schedule one in the future. Jeff is not on the island right now.
Cindy