ISLAND ROAD PAVING BEGINS SOON!! UPDATE 5-6-2014

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I agree with K.A. Pike that the time line on adding to the current paving seems too short and I'm not sure of the facts as to why or if anyone is to blame. If Rich thinks it can still be done, I'm am confident he knows what he is talking about. What I do believe very strongly about is that the clock needs to start running at sometime and by someone if paving of additional roads is to be accomplished. That is going to take collaboration by many, including the township boards. If board members refuse to sit at the table to formulate a plan that appears at this time to have the support of taxpayers, that is what should be remembered on election day.
Whether additional paving happens now or in the near future is somewhat immaterial to the fact that at least our elected officials are talking and planning on behalf of the electorate. Rich feels the time is right, although maybe tight, but there can be a savings of tax dollars in doing it now. Saving tax dollars might be a revolutionary thought to some but I think it is becoming a critical interest to many of us.
There can be little to be lost and much to be gained by sitting at the table.

Cheers - Kirk
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

I can't believe this and most of you who have witnessed our past will find this hard to believe, but I think Kirk and I agree on something. If this project happens it will be a great thing. If it doesn't happen then lets not kick the can to the side because it didn't happen. Let's lean into it and get the townships to put a new project together and even get homeowners on board that want their driveways done. If those on the current boards don't want to be a part of it they can step aside and let someone take it on and follow through with the will of the people.

Kraig
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I sent a note to both Supervisors and Mr. Voogt regarding a get together. You will note my reluctant "other option". I believe I have done what I can to foster the notion we can and should move ahead. Let's hope something happens. I am willing to participate if asked. In my duties as county commissioner none of this is a specific part of that but as a resident it certainly is!

"Gentlemen: You are copied in this email so you all have each others email address. I believe it is a good thought for you fellas to get together Thursday afternoon possibly during Mr. Kohls office hours which he can publish here to discuss options for extending the paving this year to other areas as has been widely discussed. You, of course, can invite anyone you like except a quorum of your board(s).

Gary Voogt is very well versed in civil engineering after graduating from Northern Michigan University in Marquette and spending 40 years in practice in the greater Grand Rapids area to say the least. I believe public interest is very much in favor of doing something.

The interest is unprecedented which gives you all good support for moving ahead. A worst case scenario might be to put this in play, including collection of millage money (as we would be anyway), have the necessary gravel made this year for next and apply for bike lane and certain other possible matching money grants. Living here all my life as I have I always worry about "waiting", it eats up a lot of years typically but that is one option, best regards, Rich Gillespie"
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Note: If everything is "prepped" only to bring the paving equipment back is a possibility rather than all of the road building equipment. There are many ways to go about this. To put it off for years is to put it off for much more!
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Kraig,
I wasn't surprised in the least that you and I are in agreement on something, I never gave up on you - I say with a smile and a wink.
Let's hope that others agree with us for the benefit on BI's future. Hopefully the meeting will happen with township representation and things can start moving.
Seriously, thanks for the shout out, it was appreciated. It certainly gives me hope that if we can agree, others can also.

Cheers - Kirk
Terry Frysinger

Post by Terry Frysinger »

This thread reminds me of lyrics in a song from my youth, "They paved paradise and they put up a parking lot".
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Terry, if you lived here every day of your life or tried to make a living here and spent 99% of your life looking for small improvements over long many years you might feel very different. To think that those of us who are looking for "paving a parking lot" you might have asked that question when my father ran the power plant making wrenches with his bare hands and torches when an engine blew up on Christmas Eve one year. Or perhaps when the only phone on the island rang on his front porch provoking him to start a telephone company. What is your point? Should we live with swampy roads and less of anything while you spend the winter enjoying life's better things or even a pension while a good number of us are waiting for opportunity? Very confused....
Terry Frysinger

I live on a bumpy unpaved road in Frankfort. It was unpaved when I moved there. My neighbors and I like it that way, we don't want cars speeding by our house. Anyone that doesn't like bumpy unpaved roads should move somewhere there are paved roads and fast cars. I have a seasonal cabin on McCauley Road. Traffic on McCauley is too fast as it is. If you don't like the dust, drive slower and stay farther behind the car in front of you. And if you don't think there are enough people on Beaver Island move to the Detroit area, there are plenty there. I moved to Northern Michigan to get away from the rat race. Why is that confusing? If your point is that I don't have a say in what goes on here on Beaver Island because I don't live here full time then please pro-rate my taxes accordingly.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It has been said that discussions on this topic will be ongoing. I have received numerous additional communications from people who are supportive. Thank you all, let's move ahead!!!
JPike

Post by JPike »

Terry,

If things don't improve on the island, and its infrastructure (Both Technology and Travel) and there aren't ways to make a living, sustain industry, etc, there ceases to be workers...when that happens, there ceases to be hardware stores, grocery stores, restaurants, competitive traveling options to BI, and the like that are dependent on year round residents to support businesses that are highly seasonal.

No one is suggesting taking away the island's charm, in fact, I think it would add to the enjoyment of the island....riding a bike, without wiping dust sweaters off of one's teeth, sounds like a step in the right direction to me!
:D

I too would like to have a summer home for my retirement someday, to enjoy everything that BI offers....that said...if there are no ISLANDERS....there is no BEAVER ISLAND......

I heard the Pirate was lonely though, so I imagine you could still enjoy Whiskey Island :wink:

Best,

Jared
Jared Pike
Terry Frysinger

Jared, are you actually suggesting that if more roads aren't paved that, "...there is no BEAVER ISLAND"? Its hard to type I'm laughing so hard.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Terry and others, I too am trembling as I type this but not from laughter. It scares the heck out of me to think I could agree with one Pike, but now two!
One only needs to take a look at the recent past history and some key indices. A K-12 school that a few years ago had close to 100 students now down to the 50's with possibly no kindergarteners next year. Retail shops closing faster than new ones are opening. Head counts of tourists coming to the Island over the past 5 years not trending in a healthy direction. Services that were provided on the Island are now only available off island. Craftsman and tradesman who had full employment now having to leave their homes and families to work off island to support them.
When I drove tours for a number of years, the biggest negative comment about the Island involved the roads and dust control. Paving is a good place to start. Once the Island drops below critical mass and I don't know what that number is, but when it happens we will have passed our point of fail-safe. The Island economy can not be supported by retirees. Right now we need more K-12's with full and part time employment for their parents. I hope the planning for road paving is just the beginning of a wake up call. There's a lot that needs to be addressed.

Cheers & Fears - Kirk
Terry Frysinger

I find it hard to believe that paving a couple miles of roads that have been gravel for hundreds of years would have any effect at all on the population of Beaver Island. But for the sake of argument, let's assume for a moment that I agree that paved roads would improve the island instead of my contention that it would make it more dangerous. There has been virtually no mention of the cost. In one of Richieâ??s earlier comments he stated that this project wouldn't result in higher taxes, just the same taxes for a longer time. What if you offered to buy a truck from me for $24,000 and said you'd pay it off $1,000/month for two years and I agreed to the $1,000/month but told you that let's make it three years? Sound fair, its the same payment just a little longer?
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

If I get to pick, I'll take Terry over here on Whiskey Island any day. You'll love the untouched beauty where you can hardly tell the trees from the road, in fact you can't tell the trees from the road. Now that I think about it, there is no road. But the best thing about Whiskey Island is I pay no taxes and no one ever comes over here. :D

Skull&CrossBones
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Terry,

I don't always agree with Rich. But, I have to here.

A hundred years ago all the roads were dirt and travel from where you live to town took a day. And, while Protar was a great benefit to the island if we didn't have the health center and fast EMS and Fire Department response times my wife and I would be very worried living here.

No one is suggesting that we pave paradise, unless you consider the potholes on the roads Richie mentioned as fishing holes. A little bigger and they might be.

I know some drivers will drive to fast on paved roads. But, the two tragic accidents we have had both occurred on unpaved roads. People may not be able to go as fast but their margin of error is even smaller when the road surface is so unpredictable.

Jim
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494