ISLAND ROAD PAVING BEGINS SOON!! UPDATE 5-6-2014

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Jim, in a few short words my involvement is very simple, in the technical sense these duties are not part of the responsibilities of the "commissioner", at least not unless they have been asked to intercede. My involvement is because no one, it seems, has done anything to work on infrastructure improvements on our roads in the way I am attempting. The island has a road committee for both townships, or did. When I was knocked off the county board in 1996 I wanted to continue to try to bring benefit to the community and was appointed to the road committee and very quickly got the township crusher up and running although someone in a public position was attempting to scrap the notion and acquire the machine for themselves. I also was appointed to the transportation authority and played a very integral part in getting the grant and oversaw the construction of the Emerald Isle.

I am and always have been a person who wants to get the discussion over with and get the job done. That I have not attended township meetings completely for that period would not be the case but because of the constant rancor and lack of progress for years and years, primarily bickering, a person who thrives on positive thought tends to step away. I believe this rancor is tearing the community apart, people are moving away, kids are leaving and the "Emerald" is getting a little tarnished.

I only stepped in because no one seemed to be doing so. It's an emergency for THAT reason. It needs to be done or it will never be done just as the application for funds for the bike lanes along King's Highway (a local application process) was not submitted now leaving the road narrower than it is from St. James Township into Peaine.

How did the certain roads get picked, VERY simple! Long has it been stated that people did not want "too" much paving on the island, these "feeder" roads can lead a lot of people home and my thoughts were strictly a going from North to South notion, nothing less. That however, might not satisfy some. This is usually where a decent idea gets lost for countless reasons but that was the idea, period. I believe it's a good one and given the 99% positive reaction I have had and intend to share it is hoped the township boards will grab the ball.

I have spent dozens and dozens of hours on the phone with people, the road commission, township officials (who are willing to talk), state representative, head of the MUCC and more since this apparently was not done locally. So, my selfish reason is to do something and see something get done, is that a bad thing?

As to the "asinine" comment I made, I apologize, I felt it was in reference to the recent permit issued on Hannigan although you live on a different swamp :D . We have always been chummy and I don't want that to end but in a selfish remark, I am trying to make a retirement, as yet I have not, some have good ones.

I am rapidly coming to the end of my working years in my 160 +- year American home. I want some children' of this community to stick around, there has to be opportunity, there is little save for poor mans wages. These improvements will hopefully increase people's interest in coming and building, I have always said 1000 residents would make this a comfortable community. This cannot be done by some people worrying about what the other is doing and using their positions to stall progress out of jealousy and avarice. That has more to do with our local problem than anything else. I told you I am will to sit down and discuss it.

I guess the few short words got lengthy! Sorry,

Peace!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

In a brief update the road commission informs me they don't like to "off center" a road and would rather have two feet on either side of the road for bike lanes than 3' on one side. Skinny but doable.

In either case the wider surface can assure that the road surface lasts much longer because the edges do not get rolled by vehicle wheels running off so much....

We can do this!!! No time to cry and worry about what could have been or where it could have been funded from.
kbwelter

Post by kbwelter »

As 20 year " summer people" and nearly 1 year full time residents (extra credit for our historic winter/"spring"?), I must say I think Cindy R, Pam G, and Jim S. raise some valid points. Dust aside, in my view the roads are part of the charm of Beaver Island. Do we really want to "pave Paradise and put up a parking lot"? Safety concerns are a big issue: more pavement WILL increase speed-- increasing the risk for accidents, more deer/vehicle accidents, and decrease safety for walkers/runners/bikers/dogs and animals. We moved here to get away from the rat race; if people want to drive fast on dust-free roads, there are plenty on the mainland. Some of the best draws for visitors, summer residents, and full time residents are the slower pace of life, and the unspoiled charm of our rustic island. Will more pavement/speed kill " The Wave" as people speed past one another?
As a taxpayer, I would be more inclined to support projects that will have more benefits to the community as a whole--such as a community indoor pool which would open possibilities for children (swim lessons, a swim team, open swim), adults (lap swimming, water aerobics), and older adults (arthritis classes), as well as create jobs. Ok, this is a whole other discussion:) Anyway, please consider that more pavement isn't necessarily an asset. Just one taxpayer's opinion.
wmarkey

bike lane

Post by wmarkey »

The only section of King's highway that realy needs a safe, separate bike lane is that section stating at the edge of town near Marge Armstrong's cabin to just north of the Medical Center. North and south of this stretch normal open road traffic rules can be safely followed with plenty of room and visibility. If King's highway alone is paved with this added but separate bike lane we could consider ourselves lucky and then move on to the next problem.
"Our problems are man-made,
therefore they can be solved by man."
JFK
lach

Post by lach »

I like the idea of paving the main roads that have been mentioned. Good for the Island, good for visitors, good for people (less dust), cleaner environment.
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

I would just like to clarify that I am not necessarily against paving. I remember my poor aunt having to wear a dust mask out in her own garden, when the King's Highway went unpaved. I live with the dust as I go out walking on our dirt roads. My cars have suffered as much as any from the road quality. Furthermore, Paul Welke did an excellent job of giving an alternate viewpoint to each of my concerns when I brought them up at the meeting.
Still, I have concerns.
I hear you when you say dust control is more costly than maintenance of paved roads...but do we have figures to support that?
I listen when you say the materials will make all the difference...yet plenty of roadways downstate - with the good pavement you mention - are plagued with potholes and the accidents and auto damage and added expenditures they cause.
I hear you saying people do not go out on foot or bicycle when the dust is so thick...but they DO. And our roads ARE narrow, and curvy.
This is not negativity, not "nay-saying", and certainly not wanting to stop our children from coming home or people from moving here. This is simply me voicing my reasonable concerns.

These are legitimate concerns

I'd like to see
Cindy
pbona

Rally for Roads

Post by pbona »

Hello Forum Readers,
I have never before posted on a "political" topic on the forum. Since 1972, I have lived, worked and finally retired to Beaver Island. The need for usable, maintainable roadways capable of handling modern vehicle traffic and conforming to current highway specifications is vital to citizens and businesses everywhere, not just Beaver island. This is not about progress, or money, this concerns safety and common sense. Yes, dust is a big problem, but having to swerve or back up to allow normal traffic (let alone large trucks) the right of way is dangerous to us all. Having to crawl over re-re-repatched potholes with loads of fire wood or materials in not just inconvenient, it is unfair to Islanders who pay the same road taxes as other citizens of Charlevoix County.

Yes Yes Yes! Pave the King's Highway with a bike path.
Pave to the Sunset turn off on Donegal Bay Road.
Pave to the end of McCauley Road and back around East Side Drive to King's Highway.
Pave Paid En Ogg to the Municipal Airport.
Finally, post lower speed limits to maintain your investment. And if you are still worried about the ambiance being lost, perhaps this tranquil image of Washington Island, WI will put your concerns to rest.
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/phot ... 565815.jpg
Better yet, google the satellite image of their paved roads.
Respectfully and Rightly Concerned,
P. Bonadeo
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Kudos, Pat, so fascinating that you mentioned Washington Island. An island so close that we could learn so much from. It also shows how different communities decide to spend their tax dollars. Tomorrow on Beaver Island voters will likely pass a millage to reiterate support to make this the highest dollar millage expense per student in the state of Michigan (schools greater than 8 students) with a cost of over 30,000 dollars per student, while Washington Island much like Mackinaw operates its school at a level closer to 20,000 dollars per student which is still twice the state average.

Washington Island has as Pat pointed out a beautiful road system, and many very efficiently run publicly funded entities as well as a recreation department and a recreation center, like so many of you have asked for http://www.moslingreccenter.org/gallery.html

As I said communities decide where to spend there funds, and although it is much harder to redistribute what is already being taxed as opposed to simply add another tax, there may be a time and a place down the road may be that the Beaver Island community take a hard look at all of its public expenditures and develop long term usage strategies that truly will benefit the community as a hole. It is where the long term vitality of the Beaver Island community may lie.

I support Better roads as a component of a community wide beautification and development plan.
Tuneman

Rally For Roads.

Post by Tuneman »

Take a look at this article. We have sent this to the township officials about this enzyme that hardens roads just like blacktop. They say it is too expensive and as far as we can tell they never even checked it out other than just saying the price was too expensive. We have an article that explains how this stuff works, but we can't get it to post in this forum as it will not except a PDF file. We have a link below that goes to the company that makes this enzyme that you can take a look at. We believe that it would be possible to do all of the roads on the island and still make them look like gravel roads but just be hard as blacktop. There would be no mud, no dust, and far less maintenance to do on the road. It would be far less expensive to use the enzyme on the roads and not cost and arm and a leg to blacktop it. It probably would be in the neighborhood of 1/4 the cost of blacktop, but they can find that out when they talk to a company official. Just think how much money can be saved by not putting the dust control down every year.
Thanks Mike
http://www.pacificenzymes.com/
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Doc, You are right on! Once you sail through the Porte des Morts Passage and into the Potawatomi Islands, there's a bit of heaven waiting to greet you, Washington Island. Friends of Washington Island can't make anyone's stay any more pleasurable, not even a pirate. I recommend it as a sailing destination unless your thing is driving. You are right that there is a lot one can learn from this bit of heaven on earth and its outgoing friendly people. Next to Whiskey Island, there is no place I'd rather set anchor.

Skull&CrossBones
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

OK, after much research and a whole lot of discussion with a whole lot of people I have an update of the procedure that our town boards can do to make things happen. From what I have been able to learn through questions that were directed to a civil attorney working for many municipalities across the state and by the engineer who has done nearly all of our street improvement work for the island in recent years the following:

We have voted road millage, that road millage brings in so many dollars a year, its primary purpose to be used in fixing or maintaining our community roads. Your township board (either) has the authority to borrow against that voted millage to make road improvements ie: paving, dust control, gravel, etc.

A township may borrow up to 1.25 percent of its Taxable Value. In St. James that equates to up to 575,000. In Peaine equates up to 850,000. (Using round numbers). These loans are low interest government loans tax free (tax free for the lender to encourage the loan). One question is how long the millage is voted and another is how much it takes in in a given year based on the taxable value.

YOUR township board has the authority now to borrow these funds as well as to determine how many years the collection has to go pay for a given project. If the millage collection runs out the voters would be asked to renew it to continue paying for the improvements to be completed, something that is routinely done. Would the bank loan under speculation that a millage will expire? At least in theory they would/should. They would be loaning against the full faith and credit of these governmental entities seemingly a fair risk.

You would not pay "more" taxes, you would continue to pay on the same tax rate although potentially extending that time period, however, if the projects were done you would at least be paying for something you get to use!!! AND your car might last a little longer!

The destinations I have suggested will allow residents and tourists access to Little Sand Bay, Barneys Lake and Donegal Bay by non motorized vehicles or walking-jogging as well as motor vehicles all at the same time and without choking on dust, how can you beat it!

The engineer suggests meeting with officials of each township sometime later next Thursday, May 15 or Friday as he will be here for the weekend to lay this information out so it can be presented to the respective boards. At that point, given the timeline necessary to put the wheels in gear to proceed the respective boards could call a special meeting to vote on this matter and get things going.

In almost exactly one week to the hour this topic has garnered 3777 views, unprecedented I would say and given the number of phone calls, emails and comments received on Facebook that I have received, I would say there is a factor of 99% in favor of this action. Your continued interest and calls or emails to your township officials would be most important!!

Let's get something done!!!
Eric N

Maybe this will help!

Post by Eric N »

bigbuck

Post by bigbuck »

Were the road improvements brought up at the St. James meeting last night?
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

No. As my earlier post stated I did a lot of research and will be turning it over to the supervisors of the townships. They (if they elect to do so) can meet with the engineer next week and (short of a quorum) as many others as they might like informally, get their facts all together and can call a special township meeting in either township to authorize the borrowing of the money if they should decide to do so. In other words it will be up to the townships and interested citizens to move forward at this point. My interest is driven by the simple fact that we need to do something and here is the chance.

Certainly, with the right people working for you they can authorize the idea of borrowing the money as described previously. It needs to be determined what can be paid back at what rate, etc. Let's not forget that this could be authorized by the board to fund these projects and at the same time going back to another earlier approach they could also authorize putting a vote on the ballot to approve the use of any other local excess funds to immediately pay down some of this funding. A good thing!

To be clear, the boards can initiate an awesome public infrastructure improvement or nothing, I hope they see the value of this. The details, once financing can be sought, will have to be worked out. This doesn't mean do it at any price or in a sloppy way but nicely.

Some have asked about the life cycle of paving because most see it as what has happened to Kings Highway in what would seem like a short period. As you all know it was tore up when the condition got so back in the early 90's causing a lawsuit with the road commission, good money thrown after bad. As a means to settle that suit the board of commissioners threw in some money along with other funds and the highway was sealcoated (tar and chip, typically only 1/2 to 3/4 of and inch thick!) Sealcoat to my memory is supposed to be recoated about every 7 years, that was not done. Before too long it became the quilt of cold patch you now see costing many thousands of dollars each year to maintain.

If you look at the paving in town and to the four corners that is now 10+ years old with no large signs of deterioration suggesting that it will easily give us another 10 and perhaps 10 more after that! You basically cannot compare the two. The road has a wear surface just like a basketball or shoe, it needs maintenance and (if it is still being done) they sometimes put tar and chip overlay on a good asphalt road replacing that "wear surface" until the next interval.

So, this now becomes a question for the township boards, in very short order yesterday I found the dust flying and came upon two young kids riding their bikes home, I slowed down plenty but they were quickly engulfed in dust. Let's work to abate some of these problems! Thanks!
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

We frequent Eastside Drive all the way to Cable Bay. Before the dust control is put down, there are some days where you are literally driving blind if following another car. Even if you slow way down, you still cannot see. If there is a pedestrian, biker, dog, etc., they are most definitely in harm's way. It is frightening. Unsafe at any speed.

I realize we are not contemplating paving all the way down, but it speaks of the safety problem with dirt/gravel roads. Those that are heavily travelled should be paved for safety.

I certainly hope that those elected to serve would at least consider options in a timely fashion. Given the considerable cost of bringing paving equipment here, it is most certainly worth the valuable time to investigate options.