Deer

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jacquel

Deer

Post by jacquel »

We would to keep track of deer sightings, health and especially whether they are yearlings. Please post here what you see.

On a side note, though very important... someone shot a pregnant doe on East Side Drive, tracked it into the woods, gutted it (twin fawns inside) and dragged it out. Keep your eyes open for poachers and report all poaching! The deer have had a hard enough winter without someone shooting at them.

Also, anyone who can get out and fell some cedar for the deer, that would really help them in this last burst of winter.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

We counted 62 along the east shore from Bill Wagner's to Cable's Bay yesterday while out snowmobiling. Nice warm day. 8 on McCauley's Road tonight.
McGrass
stardust

poachers suck

Post by stardust »

I hope DRN finds them and makes an example of them. Poachers suck
gives law abiding hunters a bad rep
JFPowers

Reward for Deer Poacher Info

Post by JFPowers »

Two anonymous donors have contacted the wildlife club and a reward is being issued for information leading to the arrest of the poacher. More details to follow
thenomads

Deer

Post by thenomads »

We see from 9-12 deer here at Nomad on a regular basis (daily). At least two are yearlings from my observation.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

I have offered to donate on the reward as well, absolutely disgusting!!
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Jacque,
Regarding deer counts, we have one - three who walk through our property almost daily (Mrs Reddings Trail, just south of the split for Western Shores Drive) and today I see 10 deer grazing on the shore.
Barb

Maybe start a new thread for deer counts?