GENIE VREELAND - RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

GENIE VREELAND - RIP

Post by Gillespie »

Word was received late last night that longtime island resident Genie Vreeland had passed from this world. To say that she was a ray of light for many years that I knew her would be an understatement! She had been living at Boulder Park assisted living the last few years.

As details of arrangements become available it will be posted here. A fond farewell sweet lady!
karens

Post by karens »

She was a sweetheart! Although I'll miss her, I'm glad she's with her Bucky.
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

sweet sweet lady ...I have picture on our " family wall and another of her w/ Lawrence on st pat's one year.....,such a dear...not too many like that.....she will be missed....
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

When I drove the County transit, Genie was my favorite fare, albeit she rode for free. From the time I picked her up at Lake G until we returned from the harbor, the conversation never stopped. She would talk about her early years with Bucky, annual vacations to Ireland, who use to live in the little red house next to her, pontoon rides on the lake, her wonderful neighbors who would check in on her and for whom she would bake rhubarb pies, what was growing in her garden and never once did she complain or have a negative thought. Every trip to or from the harbor we would take a different road because Bucky would always make their trips in the old green truck an adventure.
After she lost her Bucky, she told me an old Irish saying, "Death leaves a heart ache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal". I just wanted to share my memories of a grand lady so full of life and fun.
Genie, go in peace.
Kirk
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Genie's obituary has just been published in the Petoskey New Review.

Eugenia "Genie" Anne Vreeland, 90, of Beaver Island, passed away Sunday, Dec. 29, 2013, in Charlevoix.

She was born May 16, 1923, in Grand Rapids, the daughter of Andrew and Anna (Geldersma) Setsma, and graduated from Ottawa Hills High School in 1941. She attended Western Michigan University, and later taught high school.

She retired from the Kindel Furniture Company in Grand Rapids, where she wrote ad copy.

On Feb. 14, 1952, she married Harold W. "Bucky" Vreeland in Caledonia. Bucky and Genie moved permanently to Beaver Island in 1980, where they had been part-time residents since 1956. For 16 years, they had spent half of each year in Feakle, Ireland. They were members of Holy Cross Church on Beaver Island.

Bucky preceded Genie in death on Dec. 21, 2005. She was also preceded in death by her sister, Ruth J. Korhorn.

The funeral service will take place in the spring at Holy Cross Church on Beaver Island. Burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery.

Contributions may be made to Holy Cross Catholic Church, the Beaver Island Game Club, or to the charity of choice.

The Winchester Funeral Home in Charlevoix is handling the arrangements.