ATT North End Tower!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

ATT North End Tower!

Post by Gillespie »

Holy Hannah, I was told today that the North end ATT antenna may be turned on today, wouldn't that be a blessing. That should give great coverage to the North end of the island and perhaps fill in a lot of gaps East to West down to near Hannigans, lets hope so!!
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Hoping to get a couple of bars over here on Whiskey, ATT that is. :wink:

Skull&CrossBones
DwightEarly

Post by DwightEarly »

Arrrrr! We be liking to see a bar, too. Arrrr! :D
Sharolyn

att&t and verizon

Post by Sharolyn »

Comm. R. G.

Are both really working? We are shopping for phones as I write.
Sharolyn Hunter
Myles & Sally

Post by Myles & Sally »

Still a few people who would like it on Lake G.
dtritsch

Post by dtritsch »

We have one-bar in the Donegal Bay/Indian Point area. Hopefully ATT can do better.
Batman

funny thing about the towers weak but better then it was

Post by Batman »

They are not full 6 mile towers .
Best they do is two miles after that your trying to throw a text out kinda dissapointed in them but better then nothing
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Crap!, there goes all my excuses of not returning any of my messages when I'm on Island.
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
joddy

Post by joddy »

for low bars --- try a cell phone signal booster. it might help
joddy
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Sharolyn, would definitely work well at your house! I have ATT, haven't checked the signal areas yet. Don, do you get 4G?
dtritsch

Post by dtritsch »

Tonight I have no service. I have heard from Verizon customers that they are getting service along east and west side roads. I tried west side road a few days ago - no service with ATT. I see the post about the two mile antennas, I am about a mile from the Donegal Bay Rd. tower. The signal must be very weak.

Time for a change of providers.
medic5740

Definitely an improvement

Post by medic5740 »

The signal strengths are stronger and the speeds much faster over a larger area of the Island with the towers on King's Highway and at Font Lake. Those that don't have a signal inside their house should consider making a purchase of a cell phone repeater, such as Zboost, online at Amazon about $160. They only work if you have a signal, but climbing a ladder and checking to see if you have a signal near your home is necessary also. No signal, the repeater won't work.

The next option is one that I have not needed. You can get a cell phone connection that works through your Internet connection, such as DSL on the island.

This improvement was never meant to make cell phone service available to every location on the Island. It was only to provide a 3G service upgrade to existing customers as stated at township meetings. Yes, there are two more towers that could be put to use, but the real question is: Is it worth the investment? If the companies do not see a cost/income value in this, why would they do the upgrades on these two towers? There are no requirements for them to provide service like in the older days of analog service.

This is in response to those considering a change of providers. In the BINN short survey of signal strenghth, we found that from McCauley's Road to Donegal Bay Pavilion to Township Airport, the signals were basically the same. Verizon was slightly better a short distance further out, but only along the shoreline on the East Side.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

So, from what I am reading, there is now good ATT reception out in the Port St. James/ Pagetown/ Indian Point area? (without all the helpful additional handicaps)
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
medic5740

Not necessarily

Post by medic5740 »

No complete signal assessment has been done, only the short survey that I posted.

The upgrade was to provide current service area with 3G, not expand the service area. If it expanded the service area, then that is just a perk, and not the purpose for the changes.

Joe Moore, BINN
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

John, I am going to check that out sometime soon but friend of mine said they had signal all the way to Indian Point but surely there will be holes in that coverage.

Joe, I think they spent a bunch of money on this upgrade!! Long time coming back I am sure!!