phragmites

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

kent reecer

phragmites

Post by kent reecer »

Has anyone read about the success different cities have had using goats to get rid of phragmites ? If you Google "phragmites goats"
many stories will appear regarding this. Some towns actually rent
goats to eat their phragmites. Seems like a good idea. It eliminates the use of chemicals and their possible damaging effects. Looking forward to your comments. Kent Reecer
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Hi Kent,

Yes, I have read about goats and non-native Phragmites control. The problem is that the goats eat everything including native shoreline vegetation. In areas where only Phragmites grows-it seems like a good idea. These islands are in an enviable position in that we have had a great early detection and rapid response to non-native Phragmites. As a result, we will hand swipe the remaining plants found along our shoreline. If I can answer any further questions-please call me at 448-2314.
McGrass