new to the forum and help/advice wanted

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JustinP

new to the forum and help/advice wanted

Post by JustinP »

Hello all!

I'm so glad I finally joined the forums! My name is Justin Perry, and I spent last summer on the island working for @ the Shamrock.

While living on the island, I fell in love with your local history. I am an underwater archaeology student at Northwest Michigan College in Traverse City. While I'm on the island this summer, my professor and I would love to survey some of the local sites/shipwrecks using modern, noninvasive laser technology to digitally survey the sites. These methods require no digging, and do not harm the artifacts or sites in any way. This information would then be made available to the island's historical society for them to use in upcoming projects.

Now, I do have several sites that I want to survey, but since I want to do this to help the local history, what are some sites that you would like to see surveyed?

I will be on the island for St. Patty's weekend, and I would love to sit down with anyone who would be intersted in discussing the local history and give me some insight into sites they would like to see studied. I would also be especially interested to sit down with anyone from the local tribe and the historical society, so we can discuss possible ideas/handle any questions or concerns.

If anyone has any questions, statements, rants (lol) feel free to either post here or drop me an email/pm and I will respond promptly.

On an unrelated note, I just wanted to thank you all for your hospitality this past summer. I took a leap of faith moving to a such an iscolated place that I'd not even heard of 3 weeks prior to getting the job, and you were all very hospitable. It ended up being the best summer of my life, and I think about the island daily. For that I am truely grateful.

Thanks again for your time everyone, and sorry for the long post!

Justin Perry
perry109@mail.nmc.edu
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Sounds interesting. Perhaps you could contact the Chamber of Commerce or historical society to get started. Unfortunately for your purposes, St. Pat's weekend is a very busy time and lots of folks will be hosting and working, as well as celebrating. Perhaps you will encounter interested folks informally. Good luck!
JustinP

Post by JustinP »

Trish Scott wrote:Sounds interesting. Perhaps you could contact the Chamber of Commerce or historical society to get started. Unfortunately for your purposes, St. Pat's weekend is a very busy time and lots of folks will be hosting and working, as well as celebrating. Perhaps you will encounter interested folks informally. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply Trish! That's actually what I'm looking for, just a couple minutes here or there informal, nothing to fancy

On a side note, thanks Mr. Cashman and Mr. Gillespie for emailing me!
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

The people you need to talk to are Bill Cashman at the historical society, Dick Burris who has dove here for close to a half century and when he is up this summer Mike Weede, our dive shop owner. There are also many other knowledgeable divers here, I posted a few videos last summer on You Tube here is one of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr0gjDUMKig

Last year we dove the Niko, the J. H. Tiffany, the Milwaukee and the Cayuga. There are also many others to explore.

Jeff Powers