Delbert Belfy RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

I'm Just The Messenger

Delbert Belfy RIP

Post by I'm Just The Messenger »

John Delbert Belfy of Charlevoix passed away last night in his sleep around midnight. More info will be provided as arrangements become known.
Dick and Amy

Delbert

Post by Dick and Amy »

I am so sorry my ruptured disc doctor has left us. He was a very good
friend and a lot of fun. He stopped me on the lake both of us coming from Charlevoix. So I opened the freezer and treated him to an "Eskimo pie"
Needless to say the (Irish Rover) was faster than the (Burr Is Bell) so he reached Beaver Island long before I reached the buoy.

I went to work for him some years ago and it cured my ruptured disc.
must have done a good for haven't had one since!
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

John Delbert Belfy, 91, of Charlevoix, died Monday, Jan. 28, 2013, at Grandvue Medical Care Facility in East Jordan from natural causes.

Delbert, as he liked to be called, was born on Jan. 30, 1921, on Beaver Island, the son of William and Alice (Johnson) Belfy. He graduated from Beaver Island High School in 1939.

He fished for his father and cut wood before he enlisted in the Merchant Marines when he was 19. He sailed all over the world hauling ammunition and bombs on the ammunition ships during World War II. He was as a lieutenant and served the country from 1940-1949.

On Dec. 27, 1947, in Detroit, John married Audrey Jean Williamson.

After serving in the Merchant Marines, he worked in construction in Detroit. Eventually he started his own company with a partner. He was most proud of building the Penguin building at the Detroit Zoo. He built firehouses, schools and churches. He sold his business and retired at the age of 50 and moved to Charlevoix where he built his home. Not one to sit around, he built homes in and around Charlevoix and did many remodels.

John is survived by his wife of 65 years, Audrey Jean Belfy, of Charlevoix; five children, Lois Cummings (Virgil, husband) of Harrison Township, Mich., Sharon Hays of Harrison Township, Mich., John W. Belfy (Debbie, wife) of Santa Maria, Calif., Ron Belfy (Ruth, wife) of Charlevoix, William Belfy (Lori, wife) of Orange County, Calif.; 11 grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his parents, William and Alice; two brothers, Erwin and Merrill; and one sister, Edna (McCann).

He had a long and great life. He is loved and will be missed.

A funeral service will be announced in the spring with interment following at St. Mary's Cemetery in Charlevoix.

Arrangements are by the Winchester Funeral Home in Charlevoix.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Funeral services for Delbert Belfy will take place at Winchester Funeral Home Monday, April 15, at 10:00 a.m.