Beaver Island Song

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BeaverIslandAssociation

Beaver Island Song

Post by BeaverIslandAssociation »

The Beaver Island Association received the following e-mail about an old Beaver Island song. Possibly someone could help this person.

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 14:14:41 -0500
Subject: Beaver Island Song
To: beaverislandassociation@gmail.com

I realize this is a completely random email but I thought I'd reach out to a number of people in the Beaver Island Community with a question.

I am a singer and have studied and performed Irish music for the past decade. I lived in Ireland for a year studying Irish and Irish singing. I have toured as the lead singer of Riverdance and with other Irish groups. Right now, I am putting together a recording which will be mostly traditional Irish music. I have been doing some research into the music of the Great Lakes as well. I visited Beaver Island a few years ago, had a wonderful time and picked up a great book called Beaver Island House Party. The song I am most interested in from it is called Leaving Arranmore written by Catherine Gallagher and was translated to English by her grandson Owen McCauley. There is no melody to the song though, and while this is a long shot, I was wondering if anyone might still know then song and (longer shot) know the original Irish.

Any help would be so appreciated.

I hope to visit again soon!

Many thanks,
Katie

Bob Tidmore
The Beaver Island Association
P.O. Box 390
Beaver Island, MI 49782

beaverislandassociation@gmail.com