Garden plot 2013

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

E. Naranjo

Garden plot 2013

Post by E. Naranjo »

We are moving to Island woods and are interested in planting a garden. Our soil is too sandy for most types of vegetables. I would consider trading my time and labor for a few feet of garden space on good soil. I also have heirloom seeds that produced 42 pound striped watermelons in 2011. Phone 989-277-6464 =D>
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Would it help to get some horse manure to add into the soil, if so get a hold of me and I would be glad to help you out. I have a pile right now that you could add in and might make it plantable for spring. If not get a hold of me and I have a really good area that I am planning a garden and you are welcome to help with it.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
Richards

Post by Richards »

We would love to share garden space with you!
The soil on our property off Darkeytown Rd. is very dark and seems like it would be perfect for a garden.
It needs to be prepped though....hasn't been worked for years.

Please call me at #2067 to discuss location.

Best,
Sheri Richards
Nathan Ayers

Post by Nathan Ayers »

Island growers with sandy soil will be amazed at a newer practice called Hugelkulture. It is essentially, burying logs and wood biomass with whatever little topsoil and organic matter that you have. The decomposing wood acts as a moisture rich, nutrient dense growing medium, and plants thrive. This technique has been pioneered by an Austrian permaculturist named Sepp Holzer, who manages to grow lemons at 3000 feet in the austrian alps. Hugelkultur has been found to produce food even in desert like conditions. I got to study with Sepp for 5 days this summer, and he transformed the way I approach agriculture and food production.

Here is an excellent introduction to Hugelkultur. http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/