Candidate for Peaine Township Clerk

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

So...why wouldn't Peaine Twp. taxpayers pay the same per person????
Krys Lyle

Response to Jerry

Post by Krys Lyle »

Jerry,

Thank you for your additional question. As I understand it, the present Peaine Township board consisting of Jack Gallagher, Colleen Martin, Larry Kubic, Paul Welke, and Pete Lodico has never, at the township meeting, discussed having Peaine Township taxpayers paying more millage for EMS than St. James. As I stated before, the current and traditional practice is for St. James to set the millage and Peaine Township to match the amount. I feel it would be irresponsible for any candidate to support such a millage change or increase without all parties from both townships coming together and discussing a budget equitably.

Have you discussed your comments about inadequate budgets with Peaine and St. James Townships?

Krys
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

1) whenever we see an EMS or Fire volunteer we should buy them the beverage of their choice.

2) When your loved one is suffering from chest pains or the brush next to your house is on fire you will not ask all kinds of silly questions about our volunteer emergency providers.

3) If wasted money at the township airport or by our township leaders really bugs you then lower their milage and/or salaries.

BUT

Let's not nickel and dime our emergency service providers.

Jim
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

I agree with you, Mr. Flanagan. Let's fully support our emergency heroes. They deserve fair compensation commensurate with their professional credentials. Since our lives literally depend upon them, as we live in the middle of Lake Michigan, it seems only prudent to at least pay the mainland market rate.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I agree with the comments that the EMS should be adequately funded for the safety and benefit of all residents and visitors. In reading through the facts, it appears the only entity "nickle and diming" the EMS starts with St. James Township which determines EMS dollars and then tells Peaine Township to match them.
Brad is right on with the fact that the EMS needs to determine their needs and then funding should be derived from the dollars needed to run the EMS correctly. Get the horse before the cart. It takes a joint township effort, acting in the taxpayers' best interest.
I read Jeff's point as that tax dollars are not unlimitied and are reaching a breaking point that will effect future growth on the Island. I agree that taxes are going to be a big limiting factor to the Island's future. Therefore, funding will not be unlimited and budgets must therefore be derived assuring best demonstrated practices by all services.
If taxpayers want the horse before the cart, tell St. James Township to start budgeting and managing tax dollars in the taxpayers' best interest. This can start with a truly equal partnering with Peaine Township along with representatives from the Island's needed services thus resulting in a benefit for all.
Wasting $324,000 tax dollars can no longer be tolerated.

Kirk D. McBride
Last edited by sbsp on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I would be interested in hearing the answer to Krys' question above regarding EMS budget discussions with both St. James and Peaine Townships. A summary or outcome of those discussions would also be interesting.

Kirk D. McBride
Sandra Birdsall

Krys Lyle

Post by Sandra Birdsall »

I just checked out the website you developed for the election. It is full of information and I appreciate the effort to inform the public. For those who don't know, the website is www.teamupforchange.org