A personable send off to my friend Jackie Mouse

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

boodler

A personable send off to my friend Jackie Mouse

Post by boodler »

Thomas Martin
Jackie Mouse was born to Ada and John Martin in 1948 here on Beaver Island, and was one of 6 children. Jack loved his Island home!
Jack served as a Military Police Officer in the US Air Force, was a business owner, and went on to be a Journeyman Millwright. He was a proud union member of Local 1102, as i am.
After retirement Jack returned to Beaver Island, as many often do, to enjoy time with family and lifelong friends! He especially loved to spend his time with his cousin Ernie and his nephew Sheldon. I remember a time, after Ernie and Sheldon had both passed away, I could see the effects that it had on Jack, and I asked if he would stay on the Island, and he was unsure. But Jack did stay! With his strong family ties, and great friends, Jack continued to make Beaver Island his home!
Whether from Beaver Island, or the other side of the world, Jackie would welcome u like an old friend. Many summers went by when Jack's RV was parked out back at Stoney, and anybody who had a little too much to drink could always stay at the "Motel 6", cause Jackie would leave the light on for ya!
Jackie Mouse had a great sence of humor, and could make anyone laugh! Even if you just met him, you would feel that you've known him a lifetime! And if you were a pretty gal, u just might be his "next ex-wife".
Jack also like to steel his nephew Sheldon's famous line "you know that you're the prettiest girl on Beaver Island" that was until one of Jack's "next ex-wives" called him out on it. Jack would just laugh. He could dish it out, but he could also take it...most of the time!
There were many trips around the Island, or boat rides over to Garden. Everyone holds a special memory, and every memory is special, whe it comes to Jackie Mouse! He called me crippled, and he was disabled...according to his liscence plate! We would get to teasin eachother about that in front of people that didnt know us, and for some reason, get the strangest looks!
"The Mouse"...Jackie Mouse, I'm not sure where that name came from! Mice are normally small and sneaky, but Jackie was larger than life! I sware you could leave a trail of cheese through the bar, and it would always lead him back to his VO and Bud Light!
If Jack was having a good time, everyone was having a good time! Whether out on his well known pontoon boat, or at his house at Port of St. James for a "bloody Mary Sunday", there was always a memorably moment!
Shy, Jack was not...fancied himself a bit of a ladys man! His mustach always trimmed, and every hair in its place.
Jack loved to introduce himself. But one night he met his match when he asked the pretty bartender at the Beachcomber what her name was. When she told him that her name was Kat, he quickly replied "My name is Mouse! Wanna chase me around the bar??" Im not sure what the outcome was, but everone had a good laugh!
St. Pats would be hard to forget...for anyone! Nobody could foget Jack cruisin through town with a bunch of us boodlers in his RV, sounding that old familiar horn of the Beaver Islander commin home!
A tour guide,a captain...a friend to all...Jackie Mouse stood out from the croud! Not just a man, not just a mouse...Jack was a true legend...a piece of our history, not to be forgotten! A true Islander, through and through!
Thomas Emmett Martin passed away in the early morning hours, Sunday, September 16, 2012 to be with his Lord, and loved ones passed on. Jackie Mouse and his memory will live on for generations to come!
Jack wouldnt want us to be sad. He would want us to celebrate his life, and our time with him...and right now, i do believe i can feel him smiling down upon us!
Rest in peace my dear friend "Jackie Mouse"

Derrick Burris
Derrick Burris
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Anyone who met Jackie was an instant and unconditional friend.

Skull&CrossBones
jrunberg

Post by jrunberg »

nice job Derrik dont know what to say about our priest i know what i want to say but should probably keep it to my self
pamo

Post by pamo »

Good job, Derrick !!!
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Wonderful job - you gave such a great definition of who he was that even people who didn't even know him felt that they did! He will most certainly be missed by many!
lindawearn

Post by lindawearn »

Thank you, Derrick, for posting about Jackie Mouse--as the saying goes...."gone, but not forgotten".
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thank you, very much, for sharing this tribute. Too often we wait too long to pay tribute to these island legends.
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

Thank you Derrick for placing on the forum the dedication to one of the finest individuals we've known. There was not a shred of malice ever emitted from this man in all the years that I have known him. He was always fun loving and did his share of teasing. All in all there wasn't anything not to like about this dude. He is and will be missed by all that knew him. Sorry that you were denied the privilege of delivering this at the proper time and place. "I'm proud of my grandson" R.E.
Marilyn Racine

Post by Marilyn Racine »

That is one of the most heartfelt tributes I have ever heard Derrick. Jackie has a place in all of our hearts, and will be sadly missed. Thank you Derrick for sharing it with us...you brought a tear to our eye and a smile to our face.
Liam & Marilyn
Jim

Post by Jim »

You did an outstanding job of honoring your friend, Derrick. The Mouse will be remembered in the hearts of many through your words. You made you old English teacher proud.

Mr. S
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

What a great job you did, Derrick, in honoring this man who was a friend to so many. Thank you!
Cindy
Nuge

Post by Nuge »

First class, Derrick. Thanks so much.
Patrick
VickyF

Beautiful Tribute to a Beautiful Man

Post by VickyF »

Derrick

Your words say it all. You described a man we all love and miss, but will live on forever in all of us.

THANK YOU for speaking so eloquently and creating a lasting memory