CELL PHONE TOWERS

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

VERDUYN/NACKERMAN

CELL PHONE TOWERS

Post by VERDUYN/NACKERMAN »

Does anybody have any reliable, up to date info on when or if any phone cell towers will become operational and who they will belong to. Right now both Verizon and ATT work well everywhere in the U.S. EXCEPT on Beaver Island.
Joey Timsak

Post by Joey Timsak »

I can vouch that not everywhere in the USA has At&t service. I personally know of several cities that have literally zero At&t service. I feel that such a small community like Beaver Island is very lucky to have any cell service at all. Considering there are only about 600 year round residents, I highly doubt the cell companies are getting much return on their investment. I suppose there is still the stone age option of land line phones (with or without cords).
E T

Post by E T »

AT & T is currently the most reliable on the Island. We will see who upgrades the service first Verizon or AT & T. It is not only about year round residents but about those visiting here.

A few years ago Verizon's advertising/marketing indicated full service everywhere in Michigan(including Beaver Island per their maps), but same was not true.

As a result I move to AT&T and enjoy mostly reasonable service.
Ed Troutman
38280 Beaver Drive
Beaver Island, Michigan 49782
atidmore

CELL PHONE TOWERS

Post by atidmore »

I have Verizon and it is very patchy in the UP. Driving from Milwaukee to Manistique I lose service just north of Green Bay - hit or miss after that. About the same as on the Island.
Joey Timsak

Post by Joey Timsak »

I agree that it would be convenient for Beaver Island to have cell service everywhere, but what I'm saying is that it makes no sense from a business standpoint. The visitors in the summer are unlikely to drop their provider because they don't get service for a short time on the island. Therefore, the cell companies have very little to gain by investing all the money to improve service. At&t is a worldwide company and if you think they care about an island in Lake Michigan, you are sadly mistaken. Also, I don't think that any of the employees at their corporate headquarters read this forum, so it's kind of pointless to post what you want to happen on here. If one of the cell companies sees it favorable to put antennas up there, they will. Until then, the people will have to struggle with spotty reception.