To Whom It May Concern

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

YvonneCrandall

To Whom It May Concern

Post by YvonneCrandall »

BEAVER ISLAND COMMUNITY SCHOOL
POSTING OF POSITION

POSITION CUSTODIAN

UP TO 35 HOURS PER WEEK, 9 MONTHS/YEAR

CERTIFICATION High School Diploma

QUALIFICATIONS Demonstrate an interest in working with children ages 5-18 years.
Demonstrate a pleasant, positive attitude and ability to work cooperatively with others.

DESCRIPTION OF JOB
Carry out custodial duties Monday through Friday from 2:00pm to 9:00pm - occasional weekend hours

*Report to Lead Custodian
*Clean and sanitize restrooms/bathrooms using established practices and procedure.
*Clean, dust, and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers; replace light bulbs; refill restroom dispensers.
*Assist with the setup of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.

SALARY 12.63/hour, some benefits
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: July 20, 2012

STARTING DATE: August 13-17 then September 5, 2012
Submit electronic letter of interest and resume to:

Kathleen McNamara kittym@bics.us
Beaver Island Community School 231-448-2744
Date Posted: 7/10/12

This is the job description for the Beaver Island Community Custodian. There is a school board meeting tonight at 7:30pm about this issue.

One, I'm proud of my daughter Marissa for standing up for the 9 Islanders that applied for this position.

Two, I'm disappointed in the people that are mad about this issue, but aren't speaking up publicly.

Three, I'm also disappointed in the Beaver Island Community School committee for not supporting the 9 Island applicants, but still expect Islander Residents to support the school.

And four, For the Beaver Island Community School Board members that need a reminder, Island residents, including myself, try our hardest to support the businesses here, the least you could do is support us back.

If you would like to voice you opinion in favor of the Island residents that applied, please come to the meeting at 7:30pm tonight.
MarissaCrandall

Post by MarissaCrandall »

Great points mom!!
And I will always stick up for the islanders. They support the sports that I, and other students play, it is only right that the school, in return, support our citizens.
Michelle A. LaFreniere

Job Posting

Post by Michelle A. LaFreniere »

Yvonne,
You have my public support. I understand that the committee feels that the applicant from downstate is "better qualified" because they already have the training necessary for OSHA, blood born pathogens etc, but I hope they consider that the applicant does not appear to be a taxpayer here on the island, and will not be able to vote in the next election that they are asking for a millage or a millage renewal. I am all for giving the job to the best applicant, but I don't see anything in the posted job description that you or just about anyone else couldn't do. I am already committed to another project tonight or I would be there to show support for our island people.
I hope the school board considers training someone locally, and considers it "investing in our community". These are the people that have voted for them, and any millage/millage renewals they have asked for.
anna brand

Post by anna brand »

If someone takes a job on the island and moves there, do they ever become an islander after a certain number of years? Anna
Michelle A. LaFreniere

Post by Michelle A. LaFreniere »

Sure they do "Anna", some after only a day.. some after a year or two, and some.. never. It is more a state of mind. When I think of an "islander" I think of someone who knows how to give back to their community, and does so freely. It is someone who knows that they have to count on their neighbors, in good times and bad, and someone who knows that their neighbors, likewise, count on them. We are all in this together. It is not an easy place to live. We all have to struggle to put food on our tables, and many of "us" wear more than one hat, for lack of a better term. The person you see waiting on your table at lunch, could very well be the person who sings in your church choir, or picks up trash off of our beaches. They may volunteer at the food bank, and be a firefighter.. the list is endless. How many hats do you wear Anna?
anna brand

Post by anna brand »

Like all women I wear too many hats to count but the one I never take off is a devout woman of faith who lives my life according to God's will. I judge no person as we are all equal in God's eye no matter what our station in life. We may not always understand why God has chosen us but we should never question it. For whatever reason God has chosen a person to come to Beaver Island to serve His will and serve others. It is not for anyone to question and if one is as islander as you say, they should welcome the person with open arms saying welcome neighbor, we are here for you through good times and bad times because we are all islanders.
May everyone allow God to speak through them at the meeting. Anna
MarissaCrandall

I just find it ridiculous that the people that pay taxes here and raise their children here are being told they are not "qualified" to clean. Cleaning is not a difficult task. When islanders are told they are not qualified to clean, honestly, it seems like we are being considered incompetent. Well, for the people who think this, we aren't. Many jobs up here are cleaning summer homes for people. Cleaning is part of common sence, it's not difficult
MarissaCrandall

I'm sorry to say this but this is not really a religious topic at all. We are not unwelcoming to this new person. We are unwelcoming to the idea that one of the few island jobs that are available is being taken by someone who was already employed. There's no going against God with this. We are going against some of the school members that don't support the people that take time and energy to support the school and the students, like me. I appreciate those people. Those are the people I would like to see in the halls everyday for my last year of high school.
KaylynJ

Post by KaylynJ »

I would say the meeting was a bust (save for the official hiring of Jenna Wilk, which I am very happy about) but I have to thank Dawn Marsh publicly and personally for standing up to this like we did and understanding where we were coming from. It's nice to know that we have at least one person on the board on our side.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I commend the young adults on Beaver Island for taking an interest in affairs and decisions that impact many by having the courage to speak up and express themselves.

Kirk D. McBride
KaylynJ

Post by KaylynJ »

This is a little off topic, but something else has just occurred to me...

If school board meeting minutes are supposed to be put up for the public to view, why has the school not updated that part of their website since May of 2011?
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

Kaylyn: Check on the St. James Township website's last update. It is endemic in St. James to not update websites.
Terry Frysinger

Post by Terry Frysinger »

If you read Sunday's Traverse City Record Eagle you would have found an example of how nepotism isn't always the best way to fill a custodial position:

http://record-eagle.com/local/x99453440 ... s-violated

There's a lot more to being a custodian than cleaning toilets.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I can not speak for the ladies but I don't think anyone is recommending nepotism. I think the message is to look within before going to the outside for employment in an area of limited employment opportunities. Tax dollars on BI have been spent for less productive things than to invest in inservice/certification to assist a local person with continuing education in become qualified for a public position. It is a matter of evaluating what would be a win/win for the community and tax payers in filling a publically funded position.
I apperciate the ladies' courage of conviction in speaking up.

Kirk D. McBride
Last edited by sbsp on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Frysinger

Post by Terry Frysinger »

nepotism  [( nep -uh-tiz-uhm)]

Favoritism granted to relatives or close friends, without regard to their merit.

It sounds like they are suggesting nepotism to me.