Alan Gillespie RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Alan Gillespie RIP

Post by Gillespie »

Following is the text of the passing of Alan Gillespie, his father John was the man born by the big rock near Fox Lake on Jan 1, 1900, you might say that was a chilling story. Alan was well known to advance thoughts and perceptions but his obit tells the tale, he really was a good person and well known and personable to say the least, I recall leaving the island very early one morning only to pass by and see him cleaning one of his rental jeeps (5:30 am) so his customers would always be pleased with the service. I recall him calling one day and telling me he was embarking upon a project to rewrite and correct the "King James" version of the bible, imagine the fortitude that would take!! I also recall him wanting to bottle water for commercial sale from the open spring near the South end of Beaver Island, the byline was "Flowing since Noah was a boy". He had a yacht with a heliport on it and was in a foreign country one day when he accidentally crashed the helicoptere into the sea attempting to land in heavy seas. The helicopter disenigrated around him and he swam safety on his yacht, soon he learned the local "Gendarms" (sure I know I misspelled it) were looking for him and he fled the country abandoning the yacht. He owned a publishing company in New Jersey that literally had a waterfall flowing over its roof. In his later years on Beaver Island he came up with an idea of renting the postal jeeps (retired ones) and entertained hundreds of people with his wit. He was a man of great knowledge and yet abandon, but worth knowing, I remember my brothers taking a verbal crack or two at him in his absence and I always told them he could take them apart word by word with his incredible base knowledge. Alan was a pushover in many ways because he would always extend the hand of friendship even if someone were looking to cut it off. His brother Peter died 20 days before Alan and his sister Judy died 18 months prior. He represented a culture of people quickly slipping away, people are so self centered and impatient today, he was a great exception to that "trend" Sadly he ended his years in dementia, a sad way for someone graduated from the University of Chicago, but that, to say the least, is life:

Alan Clifford Gillespie passed away on February 18, 2006, at the age of 75. He was born to John "Young Ket" and Corrie Gillespie in Chicago IL on October 3, 1930. He lived an extraordinary life. He was a pilot, a helicopter pilot as well as an accomplished sailor, writer, publisher, entrepreneur, developer, inventor and teacher. He was a veteran of the army and met his first wife Doris while guarding the Panama Canal during the Korean War. She passed away in 2003. During their 37 year marriage they had four children who survive them today: Karen Van Skike, Pamela Hintze (Rick), Alan (Brenda) and Sean (Elissa), Gillespie. He earned a degree from the University of the Americas in Puebla Mexico, and continued his studies at the University of Chicago where he also taught. He authored several books on history, both anecdotal and non-fiction, as well as fictional action books and short stories. He founded the Institute for University Studies (IUS) in the 60's the first national home study college program, where he met with and recorded some of the most famous professors of our time, including Margaret Mead, Robert Pen Warren, and B.F. Skinner. He also started the Institute for Aeronautical Education which produced the Flight Handbook still in use today by pilots' world wide. Among his inventions of note were the post card record album, as well as the mileage and fuel calculator that had opposing wheels with windows. Alan biked Europe, lived with the San Blas Indians, was fluent in both San BIas and Spanish, sailed the Atlantic, discovered sunken wrecks, was a guest on both television (winning on "To Tell The Truth") and radio. He developed landmark buildings, started many companies, survived plane and helicopter crashes, and met world leaders. Those who knew him appreciated his fun and gregarious nature, and enjoyed tales of his full and adventurous life. In 1991 Alan married Annette Gillespie who was by his side when he passed. Alan was a beloved husband; father, brother, uncle, grandfather and great grandfather. He is survived by his brother Tom, four children, eleven grandchildren, and one great grandchild. We will miss you Papa. In lieu of flowers we ask that donations be made to Hospice Inspiris in Alan's name at 2025 N. 3rd St. #250 Phoenix, AZ 85004. Services will be held at Hansen Mortuary, 6500 E. Bell Road, Scottsdale AZ on the 24th of February 2006 at 12:00 noon. He will be interred at the National Cemetery at Pinnacle Peak and Cave Creek Roads following the ceremony at 1:30 pm.
Published in The Arizona Republic on 2/23/2006.
Alice Belfy

Post by Alice Belfy »

Riche -- Do we need to wake you up???? If Alan did all that I must be JesuS Christ.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Wake who up????
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

That's a biography I'd love to read
Sheri Timsak

Alan Gillespie-RIP

Post by Sheri Timsak »

I thought that the obit for Alan Gillespie was done beautifully, and I take offense at the statement from Alice. My mother knew Alan very well and she said that he probably did all the things that were stated about him, and even if he didn't do everything stated, is this really the time to question it? The man is gone and if people choose to remember the good things about him, what's the problem? He was always generous and good to my family,he could always tell a great story and these are the things that I will remember about him.
nancy

Alan Gillespie

Post by nancy »

Richie's description of Alan was outstanding--made you want to have known this guy. He sounded like a person who had a very interesting and diverse life--what fun!

Nancy Peterson
BERNIE MILLER

alan gillespie rip

Post by BERNIE MILLER »

Rich, I just have to say that you are a remarkable writer. I always enjoy reading your postings.
capncinde

Alan Gillespie

Post by capncinde »

I wish I could have had the honor of meeting Alan Gillespie, very nice job, Richie.
Cynthia Johnson