"Bucky" Vreeland RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

"Bucky" Vreeland RIP

Post by Gillespie »

Harold W. â??Buckyâ?￾ Vreeland, 84, of Beaver Island, died Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2005, at his home.

Mass of the Resurrection will be 11 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 27, at Holy Cross Church, Beaver Island. The Rev. Pat Cawley will officiate and burial will be in Holy Cross Cemetery on Beaver Island.

Bucky was born March 12, 1921, in Bowen Township, Kent County, Michigan, the son of Basil and Mary Emma Vreeland. He graduated from Caledonia High School.

On Feb. 14, 1952, he married Genie Setsma in Caledonia.

He was a veteran of World War II serving in the United States Air Force.

Harold worked as a tool and die maker, managing a shop for Middleville Engineering. He went to work for Bissell Corporation in Grand Rapids in 1964, and retired in 1980 as supervisor.

Bucky and Genie moved permanently to Beaver Island in 1980, where they had been part-time residents since 1956. For 16 years, they spent half of each year in Feakle, Ireland.

He was a member of Holy Cross Catholic Church on Beaver Island, Caledonia VFW, and Creston Rod and Gun Club in Ada.

Harold was an avid reader of westerns, a friend of the Beaver Island Wildlife Club and a supporter of the Beaver Island District Library.

His wife, Eugenia â??Genieâ?￾ Vreeland, of Beaver Island survives.

Contributions may be made to Holy Cross Catholic Church or the Beaver Island Wildlife Club. Friends may call at Holy Cross Catholic Church Monday evening, Dec. 26, where a rosary will be recited at 7 p.m.
Rich S

Thanks Rich

Post by Rich S »

Thanks for posting this notice Rich. Bucky was a good friend of my uncle Jim Scripps, now in his nineties, through the Creston Rod and Gun Club. My dad always liked to make an effort to say hello to Bucky when he visited the island. My thoughts will be with Jeannie.

Rich S