Beaver Beacon HELP!.....

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

gr8one

Beaver Beacon HELP!.....

Post by gr8one »

hi there, im just wonderin' if theres a way of me viewing beaver beacon online?..like an online newspaper/mag.?..coz i cannot view whats inside the paper...:(
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for asking,

The current issues are only available in print -- either by subscription, or at the newsstand on the Island or in Charlevoix at Island Airways or the Boat Company (in season).

We have definitely considered putting more content online, but our workflow is fairly lowtech still to be honest. The easiest way would be to put an entire issue online as a PDF (as we have done up to 2005 in the Archives - with a PDF link under each cover thumbnail.) But the great majority of the Island is still on 56k dialup, and so we lose a noticeable amount of quality in order to get these to a somewhat reasonable size, and they still take ages to download over dialup. Alternately, we could post each article separately as html, but then each needs to be pulled out and reformatted, pictures reprocessed, etc. which takes a lot of time. I'm not sure which will happen first - whether more people will get faster Internet connections or whether we'll get the software in place to automate posting to both the web and print versions with more ease, but we're definitely thinking about it.

In the meantime, we definitely always appreciate new subscribers :)

Also I should mention that Phyllis has online news updated weekly by subscription at www.beaverislandnews.com -- even though we usually see each other as we're photographing the same events, it's always fun to see what the other missed or captured or wrote differently in a given month.

Best wishes,

Jeff.
gr8one

Post by gr8one »

Thanks Very Much for the respond man!! I really appreciate it, I dont live in the Island tho, I Live in Canada but I have a friend that lives in the island.;)