Update On Land Acquisition for Townships' Airport

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Adam,
There are some on the island who are getting a big bang for the bucks being spent. Perhaps that is one of the main reasons it is all being pushed so hard.
The bag being left for the average (and part time) Joe Island Taxpayer is the maintenance of the mortage debt, utilities, upkeep and the energy spent by citizen oversight committees for all the public projects that the island has undertaken over the last decade of "growth".

Again, IMHO The "growth" of utility enhancement has outstriped the growth of population by a long stride. The per capita benefits costs are lopsided.
Most items that were listed as money coming to the island (if we dont... someone else will) endure a long and continuing price tag long after the money which was distributed around the island in the form of job creation was spent and gone.
Many of these projects were promoted as getting ready for future population growth, but the truth is, there isnt any, not just Beaver Island, but upper Northern Michigan as a whole.
What we have accomplished is creating a big tax burden. This burden keeps people away from Beaver Island in terms of the cost of maintaining a vacation home or retiring here.
Being the most isolated community in an area that is losing population, perhaps working on a plan to keep taxes extremely low to attract business and population would have been a better avenue to traverse.

" Build it and they will come" was a Hollywood movie phrase....
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Mike: I've noted that "mscripps" has logged on several times since both Taylor and I asked if the Airport Committee could give the public a response. Even just an acknowledgement that more information will be forth coming would be appropriate to our requests, but nothing. I assume a lack of any response from you or the Airport Committee implies the individuals feel no responsibility or accountability to the taxpayers.

Kirk D. McBride
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

It is my understanding that Mike will give the complete facts and information to Joe Moore to publish on News on the Net. My thanks to Mike and to Joe Moore.

Kirk D. McBride
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

I hope he doesn't leave out the forum. There are over 1000 registered users. Many seem to be interested because of the large number of hits and some might not have access to the BI News or the Beacon. Also, the discussion seems to have started on the forum.
medic5740

Information on this subject

Post by medic5740 »

If you have access to the Internet, you will have access to any information on this subject when it is provided to Beaver Island News on the 'Net. This information will be posted, at the request of Mike Scripps, on the homepage, on the day that it is received, and available to anyone with Internet access.

I will gladly post a notice here when the information becomes available along with a link to it. The link isn't too hard to remember.

http://beaverislandnews.com

You can read it there, and then come back here and make whatever comments you want to make.

Joe Moore, editor
Beaver Island News on the 'Net
Hayseeder

Post by Hayseeder »

here is a link to the airports 10 year plan.http://michigan.gov/documents/aero/Beav ... 7075_7.pdf
medic5740

First in a series of news releases from the BIAC

Post by medic5740 »

The first of a series of news releases from the Beaver Island Airport Commission can be found here:

http://beaverislandnews.com/2011%20Airp ... sponse.htm

If this link does not work, then go to:

http://beaverislandnews.com

and click on the "Airport Commission Response" link at the top of the page.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Thank you Joe and Mike. Is it possible to print (copy) either on Joe's website or the Forum all the documents referred to by the Airport Committee plus all minutes where the land purchase was discussed and motions were made and approved? Additionally can you print all correspondence to each township regarding the purchase decisions? Then the facts should be clear without a they said, they said "two sided story".

Kirk D. McBride
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

I will repeat myself and wonder why the forum isn't included in the informational letters. :cry: Look at the number of hits on topics that are of interest to the taxpayers:
St. James Recreation Plan 2000
Update on Land Acquisition for township's Airport 2000
A year end Perspective and report to Interested Islanders 4000

The only one greater on the first page is Richies "Win a Truck" at 5500.

It is nice to see the interest taken in subjects affecting our taxes. The powers to be should take notice.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Mike/Airport Committee:
Can you print a copy of the Michigan Department of Aeronautics commitment to the $30,000 maximum by the townships?
Is the $30,000 for both or each township?
Is the $30,000 in addition to what has previously been paid?
If so, what will the total amount be with the additional $30,000?
What was Gary Voogt's role and responsibilities in the parcel purchase and who or what entity authorized his role?
Can you print Voogt's agreement authorization to include any tax dollars paid to him for such services todate?
All of the above should be quick and easy answers for you and the committee.

Kirk D. McBride
Last edited by sbsp on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newsman

Post by Newsman »

Mr. McBide: Gary Voogt is the townships' engineer. I don't think he would be the one negotiating a purchase of property. I believe that would be out of his professional field.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I understand that Mr. Voogt is the engineer for the townships but in discussions with people on the airport issue, his name keeps coming up in regard to the negotiations. His role in the negotiations may be very appropriate but my question really wants to address whether he was representing the Airport Committee or one or both townships. If he was the key negotiator, which may be fine, who authorized it and how much authority was given to him? Was he compensated for negotiations in addition to his income as engineer? I'm sure most will come out in Mike providing minutes of the Airport Committee. I thought he could give us a quick answer in the meantime.

Kirk D. McBride
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I really am not trying to be difficult. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of how 20 undeveloped acres can be negotiated at $191,000 or $9550 per acre. Even how 150 undeveloped acres can be negotiated at $693,000 or $4620 per acre when houses and property on Beaver Island are being foreclosed on because there is no market. Somehow it seems that if the money is tax dollars or grants it makes it OK to spend it like a drunken sailor (no offense to the Pirate) with no questions asked for accountability.

Kirk D. McBride
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

As a sailor and a pirate, I resemble that remark, no offense taken. Also as a sailor and a pirate, I have some swamp land for sale on Whiskey Island for just under $10,000 an acre.

Skull&CrossBones
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Mike and Joe, thank you for the Airport Commission updates.
Mike, I do appreciate your attention to detail on the explanation of where the money comes from and I am "relaxed", thank you. Again, I'm not trying to be smart but when is a tax a tax or not a tax? I'm thinking if it quacks like a duck it's a duck. So the 22.4 cents tacked onto aviation fuel is not a tax? The same for passenger tickets, user and registration fees. I'm thinking they are taxes paid by select individuals called "users". Where does the money for block grants and entitlement funds come from if not tax dollars? Given all this, I do not have a problem with where the dollars come from but lets be honest with one another and call a duck a duck. My concern is how the money is spent in the best interest of the public and this is the cause of my not being "relaxed". Personally I do not think Americans are over taxed but I do think that many of our tax dollars are channelled for things that are not always in the publics' best interest. But that is a debate for another time.
What I am most interested in regarding the airport is how we got from 20 acres to 150 acres and $191,000 to $693,000 ++. Specifically, copies of the Airport Committee's minutes plus who and how the deal(s) was/were negotiated, what went right and what went wrong. I don't want to hear a story but do want to see actual documents of who did what, when and why. I think this is a valid request for what might be three quarters of a million dollars being spent for what should have been 20 acres. I think "users" would want the same explanation for their taxes.
I know that it is often tossed around, "If we don't spend it, someone else will". That argument never worked with my folks when I would plead my case by saying, "Everyone else is doing it" or "going there". My folk's consistant response was, "That is not a reason for your jumping off a cliff". I didn't think so at the time but looking back I think I am better off for not doing some of those things "because everyone else was doing them".
I think that the financial cliff for most of us in America is getting closer and I would hope that Beaver Island can honestly say, "We are better than that".
If tax dollars, regardless of the source, are spent wisely then that is how it should be. If they are not spent wisely, for whatever reason, that should be challenged. I am challenging $9550 an acre and not the fact that the money was spent to improve the safety of the runway for our public, for that I am thankful.

Kirk D. McBride