St James Recreation Plan

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

St James Recreation Plan

Post by Pam Grassmick »

St James Recreation Plan Survey

Your Input Is Requested:

Here is an opportunity to have your voice heard in an important planning process on Beaver Island. The St James Township Board is developing a 5-year recreation plan with goals and priorities. As part of the process the township is seeking input from all year-round and seasonal residents of Beaver Island, as well as visitors. There will also be an opportunity for public feedback on a draft plan.

Please take a few minutes to respond to this survey online by going to this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/ s/RRRHSF5 . It's easy and funâ??if you haven't taken one of these online before, try this one! If you prefer to fill out a printed copy of the survey, it can be picked up at (and returned to) the Community Center, the Health Center, the Library, McDonough's Market, or Welke Airport terminal. The survey results will be included in the plan. The survey will conclude on November 28, 2011 Thank you.
McGrass
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

The link did not take me to a survey.
medic5740

link was not complete

Post by medic5740 »

Try this one Trish:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RRRHSF5

Good luck,

Joe
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Thanks Joe!
Pat Simmons

Post by Pat Simmons »

Oh, boy. Not a good sign.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

What do you mean...not a good sign? Aaking for input for future planning? I guess I am not following...
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

It askedme twice for my age and Ihad filled it in. A bug!
AEW

Post by AEW »

I've always thought it would be great for the Island to have an indoor swimming pool and exercise facility. The benefits are many to include, an additional sport for the school kids to participate in, swimming lessons, water rescue training, aquatic aerobics, lap swimming, water polo, aquatic therapy and many others. I look forward to see peoples input on how we could afford to do this and if it truly is a viable venture for the community. I do believe the financial costs are really going to be a challenge to overcome but I sure hope we take a look at it.

I have contacted Al Gooch from the Charlevoix County Pool and asked him to provide some financial information on the costs they experience with the initial construction and yearly operating costs. This is his response:

"Adam,

Construction Costs: 1996-1997 was $1.2 Million

2010 Operating Costs:

Insurance $11,100
Utilities $52,000
Maintenance $37,000
Janitorial-Office Supplies/Chemicals $23,000

We hold an auction each year-200 people
Recreational Authority-tax $
User Fees
Year End Donation letter
Grants
Inscribed Bricks

Signed, Al"

I have also contacted Washington Island Wisc to see what their experience has been. but have not got any response yet.

Adam E. Wirth
AE Wirth
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

An indoor swimmng pool would be wonderful!!!!!
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Oh no Adam we need an 8 million dollar ferry much more than an indoor sports faciltity and pool, HA HA :D
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

For $8,000,000, I'll sail people and cargo back and forth.

Skull&CrossBones
AEW

Post by AEW »

8 Million dollars for a boat? What!? Is someone on crack! America is almost 15 trillion dollars in debt and the State of Michigan is over 72 Billion dollars in debt. There is no money sitting in coiffures only added debt. The States budget deficit just this year alone is about 1.65 Billion. Again, there is no money. But it is obvious that the majority really does not care about the long term financial health or solvency or even reality of the State or Country. I guess we will just let the future generations worry about it it. Its a sad thing for this Veteran to say on Veterans Day.

A few weeks ago I was expressing my serious concerns about the cost of construction and unfunded operating expenses of another recent project on the Island. As I was telling my concerns to a well known self proclaimed "Conservative" in our community he stopped me and told me "You don't understand Adam, If we don't spend the grant money someone else will get it". That kind of thinking is the sickness and the problem of our sad state of fiscal affairs. I believe we can do a better job for future generations, I know we can. We all should feel it is our duty. We baby boomers should leave our Children a debt free America by the time we are all gone.

Adam E. Wirth
Last edited by AEW on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AE Wirth
AEW

Michigan Debt Clock

Post by AEW »

AE Wirth
AEW

The US Debt Clock

Post by AEW »

AE Wirth
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

AEW wrote:
I have also contacted Washington Island Wisc to see what their experience has been. but have not got any response yet.

Adam E. Wirth
Excellent point Adam, we could learn alot about recreation opportunities from Washington Island and Door County. I didnt mean to sidetrack the discussion, with my other comment, I simply wanted to point out the disparity between something that could be of great benefit to residents and visitors to Beaver Island and something that in the opinion of many is a gross excessive expenditure by a government that as you clearly pointed out is deep in debt. Your comments regarding fiscal conservatism are spot on. Where do we start as americans to take financial responsibility for our debt as a nation? Or do we all wait until the debt crisis that is now one by one becoming of serious concern to europeans is staring us straight in the face?