Seeking info. on my gggrandfather, BI resident, murdered(?)

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Bruce Beaman

Seeking info. on my gggrandfather, BI resident, murdered(?)

Post by Bruce Beaman »

Hello, everyone,
I'm Bruce Beaman in Stevens Point, WI. I'm seeking information on my maternal great-great-grandfather, Raymond MacDonald (or McDonald). According to family history, he worked for the Beaver Island Lumber Co. In ca. 1909, he and a companion took a boat to the mainland to collect payroll, but on the trip back he was murdered by the companion who took off with the money and was never heard from again. I believe that Raymond is buried on BI. I'm interested in finding more information but don't quite know where to begin. Any suggestions/information much appreciated. My mother, Elizabeth (Bette) Beaman, nee Eichwald, was born in Green Bay in 1923. Her mother was Jessie MacDonald (or McDonald, spelling sometimes varies). My Mom spent many summers on BI when she was a girl and into her teens. Many thanks, hope to hear from some of you.
Bruce Beaman

Post by Bruce Beaman »

Hello, again, a few more bits of information and some questions re: my great-grandfather (it's great, not great-great, by the way; duh!), Raymond Mac(or Mc)Donald and his possible murder. I spoke with my Mom last night and she thinks Raymond's death was in 1909. His wife was Ella, nee Roddy. At the time of my grandmother's (Jessie Eichwald, nee McDonald) death in 1940, Ella was living in South Bend, Illinois. I have an obituary for Jessie which lists her sisters: Miss Betty Mary, Detroit; Mrs. Joseph Sendenburg, St. James; Mrs. Emma Vorice, Detroit; Mrs. Ann Collier, Mrs. Marie Smith, and Mrs. Ray Smith, all of South Bend. Can anyone tell me where a death certificate for a BI resident would've been filed? Charlevoix? Manistique? In 1909, was there a newspaper of any kind on BI, and if so, is there an archive somewhere? Is there a local BI historian whom I could contact? Thanks again!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Bruce, Are you looking for more information on the murder or genealogy? I have genealogy info. Rich
Bruce Beaman

Post by Bruce Beaman »

Rich wrote:Bruce, Are you looking for more information on the murder or genealogy? I have genealogy info. Rich
Thanks, Rich, both, really. It appears record-keeping wasn't the strong suit in our family and I have next to nothing on either subject. Any advice would be appreciated.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Bruce,

My great grandmother Bridget, was your great grandfather's mother. After her husband Donald R. McDonald died in 1877, she married my great grandfather Hugh Connaghan and they had 5 children together.

The following is from genealogy records I have:

Children of BRIDGET O'DONNELL and DONALD MCDONALD are:
4. i. DONALD RAYMOND3 MCDONALD, b. February 08, 1874, Michigan; d. May 17, 1908, Near St. Ignace, MI.
5. ii. JESSIE CECELIA " DAISY" MCDONALD, b. July 04, 1876, Fayette, Michigan; d. November 1929, Chicago, IL.

DONALD RAYMOND3 MCDONALD (BRIDGET2 O'DONNELL, ANTHONY "OLD SALTY"1) was born February 08, 1874 in Michigan, and died May 17, 1908 in Near St. Ignace, MI. He married ELLEN "ELLA/NELLIE" RODDY June 03, 1896 in Harbor Springs, MI4. She was born August 12, 1875 in Peaine TWP. Manitou Co., Beaver Island, MI, and died September 23, 1944.

More About DONALD RAYMOND MCDONALD:
Cause of Death (Facts Pg): Found dead in his boat either from engine fumes or he may have been shot near St Ignace with Cornelius Johnson5
Organizations: AOH marker near headstone

More About ELLEN "ELLA/NELLIE" RODDY:
Fact 1: August 05, 1872, Baptism records show Ellen born to Andrew Roddy & Catharine
Fact 2: 1910, Myrtle Douglas was a servant in her home

If you'd like more genealogy info, email me at marieconnaghan@yahoo.com.
Marie LaFreniere

Joyce Bartels from the Beaver Island Historical Museum called this morning to tell me the Museum had this newspaper clipping from October 1907.

Following is the article:

KILLED BY GAS

Two Beaver Island Men Found Dead in a Drifting Gasoline Boat

At St. Ignace last Saturday afternoon a gasoline boat named â??Mary Meathâ?￾, was found drifting about in the bay. In the boat were found the dead bodies of two men, which proved to be those of D.R. McDonald and Cornelius Johnson, of St. James.

The boat was an ordinary fishing craft, and was enclosed. They had left St. James Monday with fish valued at $110 for Cheboygan. The evidence shows that they had disposed of the fish, and that they left Cheboygan Wednesday morning for the return trip. When the bodies were discovered $15 was found in the pocket of one, and $8 in the pocket of the other which would tend to refute any theory of foul play.

It came out in the evidence at St. Ignace that the boat was seen for two days with her bow ashore on Green Island, about four miles west of St. Ignace. A man living near there testified that the engine was working when discovered, and was running several hours after.

The St. Ignace officials wired St. James Sunday morning, of the discovery, giving names disclosed by papers on the bodies, and the tug Margaret McCann left at once for St. Ignace, taking the bodies to St. James that night. The evidence all strengthens the theory that the unfortunate men died from asphixiation. There are several cases on record of similar casualties. With an enclosed boat, the fumes of escaping gas, possibly augmented by an unknown leak, slowly but surely caused â??sleepinessâ?￾. Once this condition came, the work was quick. Their death was due to their ignorance of the deadly effect of gas.

D.R. McDonald, or â??Raymondâ?￾ McDonald, as he was generally known, has been a resident of Beaver Island for 32 years. He had been clerk of St. James Township for many years, and was an industrious and upright citizen. He leaves a wife and seven children, the youngest having been born last Tuesday.

Johnson was unmarried. He was a son, of the late Capt. John Johnson who formerly sailed the small schooners Rough and Ready, and Nellie Johnson.

LATER
Since writing the above the information comes from Beaver Island that the discovery was made on the boat that a gasket had blown out of the cylinder. The body of McDonald was found in a position near the cylinder, indicating that he was engaged in an effort to repair the leak, and was overcome by fumes. Johnson was also near the engine. The boat was using kerosene as fuel.

The double funeral occurred at St. James Tuesday.
valar2006

Post by valar2006 »

Yes, yes...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bruce Beaman

Thank you, Joyce Bartels and Marie

Post by Bruce Beaman »

My thanks to my "cousin" Marie--we are related, though I'm not positive whether we're third cousins once removed or whatever, and to Joyce Bartels at the Historical Museum for the article about Raymond's death.

Joyce--may I ask you to double-check the date on that article? If indeed it's from October of 1907, something's screwy with the date of death of May, 1908 that Marie posted in an earlier message.

If anyone's going to the cemetery anytime soon and could check the date on the gravestone, I'd be grateful. My Mom says she may have some photos from the cemetery but she's away for the summer.

As I said to Marie in an email, I've no idea where the legend came from that my great-grandfather had been murdered. Perhaps that happened to a family acquaintance and the stories got mixed up down through the generations???

I also didn't know that he was a fisherman, longshoreman, and the town clerk of St. James. I've never seen a photo of him or his wife, Ella. Our family's never been much in the picture-taking line, I guess.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Bruce, The article was dated 1907 in the newspaper so I would figure that to be accurate! Rich
Marie LaFreniere

The date of the newspaper article was hand written.

I've just come from the cemetery, and the date of death on Raymond's head stone is May 17, 1908 which is the same date in my genealogy records.
Bruce Beaman

Post by Bruce Beaman »

Thanks, Marie, for visiting the cemetery. The handwritten date on the newspaper article is obviously an error.

Once again I'd like to thank everyone here who has helped me with information. I hope to find out more, and if so I'll be sure to post any results here on the Forum.
Susie

Beaver Beacon

Post by Susie »

If you don't get the Beaver Beacon, you should try it for a year. They do a monthly thing about what happened 100 years ago. I love it!!!! Your GGGrandfather is almost always mentioned. He is always in for one thing or another. And he did work for the Lumber Co. at one time. They have a spot on this site where you can read old copies. Should find a lazy afternoon to do that.

Your Cousin
Susie
Susie

Post by Susie »

Sorry Bruce I guess you can not view old papers. I just tried it. I have always gotten the paper, so I just assumed you could view the old ones.
Susie
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Susie!

We should come up with a better way to quickly put the back issues online, but every month something comes along and it hasn't gotten done yet. August 2002 - December 2004 are online as PDF's at http://www.beaverbeacon.com/archives/ but they are 5 - 8 MB files so admittedly they take forever to download on a dialup connection.

Joyce Bartels does do a fantastic job with A Hundred Years Ago each month - we are unbelievably lucky to have her! It's always fun to see what she comes up with every month!
Bruce Beaman

Post by Bruce Beaman »

Dear Susie,
Please let me know who you are and how we're related. If you don't want to do that here, email me: brbeaman@charter.net. And to everyone here: Earlier this week I spoke with a second or third cousin of mine who lives in Ann Arbor, and she has provided me with some other family history of the McDonalds and Roddys. As soon as I sort some of it out, I'll post it here--trusting that's okay since a) I don't want to violate any etiquette of this bulletin board since I'm just a newcomer here, and b) don't want to bore anyone to death with minutiae about my ancestors that mayn't interest anyone but me and a few others.
BRB