IRAQ

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Turkish Islander

IRAQ

Post by Turkish Islander »

US army is having bad days in Iraq. I was in Iraq last month. I meet lots of american soliders and they are not happy to be in there. Everybody is worring about their lifes. So as Iraqi people. On an other issue; there is a lot of Turkish driver killed by Iraqi gerillas. And they showed it on the internet. There must be a way to stop this war immediately.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Is it you Emrah? Hope all is going well for you! Yes, the war is sad and gets sadder! The presumed "fight" over religious freedom and control is so far outside what the initial removal of Saddam was intended for it is very disheartening to all Americans and those who would like to live freely in Iraq. Hopefully the conflict will come to an end somehow before too many more people lose their lives over the actions of a small minority of people.
Robert

Ditto

Post by Robert »

Amen to that.
Turkish Islander

IRAQ

Yes that is me Rich. And I totally agree with you and Robert also. Now I am working for US army. And I am spending most of my time in Iraq. There is more than you saw on the TV. Imagine a place that carrying weapons are like carrying a box of cigarette. Imagine a place that killing, murdering, dead people, blowing a truck is like smoking that cigarette. But the life is still goes on in Iraq. All the kids have an AK47 ( Kalashnikof). That is unbelievable. But that is the the real world and I am a part of it. Still alive somehow :).
Tara

Post by Tara »

Emrah- The Government and the media have so much control over what Americans are witness to. I am positive that what we see on the television and read in the newspapers is small fraction of the bigger picture. Small children running around with guns seems almost fictional to us. The issues we are "fighting" for may never be resolved and in the end all we'll have accomplished is killing thousands of civilians and soldiers. Thank you for sharing your stories with us to help us better understand what soldiers are experiencing. I hope you will continue to do so.
What sort of work are you doing for the U.S Army?
Gillespie

Rich

Post by Gillespie »

Gee Tara, that was a brilliant question...........like asking the CIA if they work on any secretive government projects...........ha! It is Christmas Eve however so I will go lightly..............big discussion of these events this evening before they shut the neon switch off. What is probably the hardest thing for anyone to understand is that we cannot just quit and leave because there is loss of life. We have to stay until there is some semblence of order........what is probably the worst thing of all is that the people that we presumably have liberated are now fighting back but I would argue that it is a small number. Given that we are nearly minutes from Christmas it would be proper to say that you could put Jesus Christ himself in the hot seat (White House) and he would be nailed to a cross by midnight!!! Although I am loath to hear the reports of another soldier dying I think we should all realize that America has the longest standing system and order of government in the history of the world. Some very smart people put the system together and one of its most primary purposes was to fight tyranny and despotism, something that can be lost through many years of peace and free speech!! Whatever happens, we have soldiers in harms way, please stand by your country and your soldiers who don't want to be there but, when they are typically interviewed, say that they are fully behind their country and the effort. America has long stood for democratic principals and rights of individuals. I heard an airline pilot on a radio talk show today and the pilot was outraged that they have to go through security like anyone else when they go to work, it was almost unbelieveable... the world, as a result of the world trade center disaster, turned inside out only 3 years ago............come on people, be more considerate of world order and not what time you may have lost in line, it means nothing to those who cannot speak any more. There is a great country Christmas song that says, "Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.........................................
cherie

Iraq

Post by cherie »

Emrah I read in todays newspaper that one of Turkey's richest businessmen Kahraman Sadikoglu was reported kidnapped,appearing in a video along with a weeping employee saying they were being held hostage. Sadikoglu said he was working for the Untied Nations and the Iraqi government on a project clearing harbors of sunken ships.

It's getting so you can't pick-up a newspaper or listen to the news without hearing about a suicide bomber or someone being kidnapped.

Even the news reporters said it's become so unsafe in Iraq that they are having a hard time getting news stories out.

I've been hearing alot about the January election(s) in Iraq but, I can't see how that's going to be possible with all that's been going on lately.

Like you I also wish the end to this war would come quickly but, I doubt if that's going to happen.

There isn't awhole lot I could add that one of the other repliers hasn't already said.

May you be safe.
Turkish Islander

Hi all; Richy I totally agree with your words. We all want the peace but can't sing at this time because it makes noise and that is the last thing we want to make right now...Tara my job: I was organizing all the fuel deliveries from Turkey to Iraq. But it is over because DESC ( Defence Energy Support Center) has finished their mission in Aug. 15. But now we are supplying fuel to Us jets in Turkmenistan. And also delivering foods; prefabricated houses; computers exc. to Us army. But it is so dangerous because Iraqi gerillas are looking for the people who is working or the Us army. Anyway shortly my job is supplying or transporting their needs. Cherie; That is right they kidnaped him last week. He is the richest shipowner in Turkey. And he was taking out the sunked ships in Basrah. And no body knows what is going to happen. They want money for sure but is that all? And Cherie thanks for asking that I am in safe right now and I will be... Marry Christmas all..
cherie

Iraq

Post by cherie »

Emrah,This is only my opinion but, I feel the kidnappers and the suicide bombers are a bunch of cowards.Or why else would they hide their faces and use innocent people to do their dirty deeds.

I know the troops support our country but, according to one of the women reporters who was/is embedded with the troops stated that some of the troops wouldn't state their true opinions on camera regarding the war cause, they were afraid of persecution by their fellow officers.. I don't blame them( the troops) in the least.

All we can do is support our troops and anyone else who's over there and, pray that they return to their homeland(s) safe.

Thank You Emrah and those like you for All that you are doing over there.

And again, May You Be Safe!!!

Cherie
Turkish Islander

Cherie; In my opinion; If I was a terorist I would do the same thing. They don't want to show their faces because they don't want to decipher their selfs. But anyway it is not a good way to defend a country. Kidnaping and killing innocent people and showing it on the internet. That is a coward thing.
I will be in states end of January I hope I can visit the island...
My best wishes to all the islanders.
BigEegit

Re: IRAQ

Post by BigEegit »

Yes, I do feel sorry for those American soldiers. In a way they can be related to British soldiers in N.Ireland who were initially sent there to keep the peace, but the longer they stayed the more they got hated and finally found themselves fighting an invisible army. I do hope they are withdrawn soon for their own sakes and for their families.

Post by Guest »

hey my boss rich and to all islanders :)
turkishrobinson

Post by turkishrobinson »

i am not a guest :lol: :lol: :lol: