Another Arranmore documentary

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Robert

Another Arranmore documentary

Post by Robert »

The Arranmore website has posted a page on a documentary of the "Arranmore Disaster of 1935", for those interested...read about it here--

http://www.arainnmhor.com/people/articles/island.htm

--and at the filmmaker's website, here--

http://gofree.indigo.ie/~ccondron/index.html
cherie

Arranmore documentary

Post by cherie »

Hi Robert :D

I took a small peek at the links you posted and will have to go back into them again and read more.

Are you by chance a history buff? I know I am. I've been waiting to see more verbal history about Beaver Island. but, haven't as yet. I did go into the photo gallery though. The pictures are very interesting. I've traced my Grandparents to Beaver Island and St. James. Mr. Cashman (Bill) told me quite sometime ago that the house where my Grandparents lived is still standing and has been redone several times.But I forgot who he(Bill) said lived there now. Do you know if the Lafreniere store is still standing? I have a copy of a store ledger page that's also displayed in the Mormon Museum Old Print Shop showing my Grandfather Eugene LeBlanc/LaBlanc as their customer.
J.McBain

documentary

Post by J.McBain »

Yes, Roberto, are you a history buff? :D

What is the news with the other documentary that those Irish filmmakers were in the process of putting together?
Robert

Film

Post by Robert »

Jeremy, I'd heard that a shorter version of the original documentary was shown at a Dublin documentary film festival in August, though an online search of that festival's site showed me nothing about it.

The last I heard was that the same condensed version of the original hour-long treatment is being pitched to PBS here in the states. Haven't heard from the director in some time, so I don't really know where things are at these days...
Robert

Correction

Post by Robert »

Make that film festival showing in October, not August. Sorry about that...