Russell Green R.I.P

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Kathleen Dvoracek

Russell Green R.I.P

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

Our Dad passed away last night. Visitation will be 7 - 9 on Saturday at Holy Cross Church, Rosary at 7:30. Funeral Mass will be Sunday at 1:00. There will be no luncheon. Thanks to everyone who has brought us food and comfort the past few days. Love, The Green Family
Jim

Post by Jim »

Our thoughts are with all of you. Russell was a good man.

Jim and Donna
kathleen belfy antkoviak

Post by kathleen belfy antkoviak »

Our sympathies to the Green Family. Peace to all.Brian, Kk and Emma Jean
Marilyn Racine

Post by Marilyn Racine »

Stoney's staff, Liam and myself extend our heartfelt sympathy to all the Green family.
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

You are all in our thoughts and prayers. We've been so blessed to have Russell as a part of our lives.
Shirley Cole

Post by Shirley Cole »

Our most sincere condolences to the Green family. Your dad was a great man from a great (yet dwindling) generation, and he will be missed by many. I recall leaving the church after Joy's funeral and noticing the sign overhead that read, "Go with Peace and Joy". I remembered thinking, "I'll go with Peace, but I'm not ready to go with Joy!" How wonderful it is to think Russell is with her now.

Love & Prayers ~ Shirley (& Paul)
woodchopper57

Russell Green

Post by woodchopper57 »

My deepest sympathy to the whole Green clan. I hold so many memories of Russell from when I was a child to now. He never failed to greet me (or "torture me" as I like to call it), wherever I ran into him. A major loss to the the community and a person I will truly miss.
Julie Gillespie
Rob Cole

Post by Rob Cole »

Russell was such a vital part of the Island community and character, and will be missed by many. My thoughts and prayers go with the Green family today and in times to come..
Connie Gatliff-deRuiter

Post by Connie Gatliff-deRuiter »

We are very sorry to hear of Russell's death.
He was a wonderful man, quiet yet humorous.
He will be greatly missed!
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Love, Connie & Chris
Mark

Post by Mark »

Beth Ann and family,

To long time summer visitors, Russ was the first person we saw going over, and the last when we left. As much as anyone he epitomized what Beaver Island was about. Our thoughts and prayers are with you on the loss of your father, an island legend.

Mark & Laurie Hoogterp
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Jennifer and I would like to pass on our thoughts to Russ's entire family.

Mike and Jennifer Verleger
Judy Hansul

Post by Judy Hansul »

To the Russell & Joy Green family,
Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers on this sad day.
Rick & Judy Hansul & family
Fr. Gabe Fox

Post by Fr. Gabe Fox »

A great friend who was always supportive. He loved to usher at Holy Cross and stand and shake the Basket in front of Mary Minor while she fumbled with her purse. There was always a welcome for me at their table whenever I'd stop by. Many a trip when he would let me wheel the Beaver Islander or the South Shore while he would go out among the passengers. In the Summer months when he would run the ferry from Charlevoix on a Sunday he would always come for Mass and chide me to be quick so he could get his meal before the return trip to which I would kid back and tell him I'd have a South Shore Mass. There were numerous times after his retirement when I'd visit with Russ & Joy in Florida and always among our visits would be one of Joy's wonderful boiled dinners. Truly a man & woman of Faith and I look forward to seeing them again in Heaven. May he rest in peace.
RAndrew

Weep a silent tear

Post by RAndrew »

I never post on web lists but I just felt the need to do this. To me, Russell Green was the embodiment of what I think about when I think of Beaver Island. Strong and determined but also kind and gentle. And with a sense of humor and love of life. Please know that there are many many people like me who never post but are now weeping a silent tear.

I remember one trip on the Beaver Islander from St. James to Charlevoix. I was sitting in the cabin at a window. We were about half way across to Charlevoix when all of a sudden a huge wall of steel that I could not see the top of began passing about 100 feel from my window. My wife and daughter (who was about 8 or 10 at the time) came running into the cabin and yelled that there was a freighter going by. I ran up on deck to see a huge iron ore vessel passing by and the Beaver Islander aiming just past the stern of the vessel. The sailors on the iron ore ship were looking down over the side of the ship in amazement. Russell was on his direct line to Charlevoix and timed the passing so that we passed within about 100 feet of the stern. Only later did I realize that that was probably the calmest water around the freighter. That experience has always represented to me the embodiment of the Beaver Island spirit. Determined and competent and never shrinking from the challenges of life.

So to the Green family, I know that your loss is great and please know that all of you are in our thoughts and prayers. But for Russel, the Great Circle has been completed. It is we who remain that are left to weep a silent tear.

Rick and Janine Andrew
Dawn Scarborough

Post by Dawn Scarborough »

Dear Kathleen, Dana, Noah, and Hayden
Our prayers are with your family and your extended family. You will all be in our thoughts this weekend. Dawn; Sonje and Richard; Richard and Alena