Who is Sidney Kendyl Murphy?????

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

cathyg

Who is Sidney Kendyl Murphy?????

Post by cathyg »

Sid,

I am leery of your intent. You invite yourself into our forum/community on the pretext of "using" beaver island as a case study for research. You throw all sorts of big words and big credentials at us without any real substance other than a lot of air at this point. You've asked questions, left comments and given advise on a forum that is intended for just that but your interest is not the same as those currently participating in this forum. I have done a little research on my own and have not found your profile contact information to give any details as to who you are or your location, I have Internet searched your name and found nothing to your existence, I have Internet searched your claim to studying John Vital's research and found no such researcher under that name either. You have claimed to be in contact with Washington Island and I wonder who exactly you where in contact with over there because I called the Chamber of Commerce there and they have never heard of you.

I would imagine that any real research obtained from a community by observance or otherwise not to mention documented would have to be cleared at best first by approaching the city council or some sort of governing body to the community. I would imagine that credentials backed with verification would be presented along with other types of portfolios regarding experience to preform such a research or study.

In this day an age of rampid fraud, scams, and ph-ishing I would be hesitant to take anything you say on face value. I am concerned that the fine community of Beaver Island and its residents may be taken for fools in their efforts to engage in your seemingly innocent quest for questions and answers and getting to know a small close nit community. I could see all sorts of reasons that a person not so on the up and up might be "casing the joint". Perhaps an interest in something of an illegal sort and that could cover many subjects.

I caution everyone to be wise and safe in giving any information that may lead to furthering a conversation with Sid that would innocently lead you to revealing information about our community and its citizens. Who knows how many private e-mails have already been sent. After all, he laid claim to not knowing how to post his private e-mail to Gillespie...I mean come on...who doesn't know how to cut & paste especially a person that must certainly use a computer to compile and store his research...and why was it necessary to have his reply to Gillespie's question (which was made in open forum) be answered privately? There are too many wholes in his story.

I for one do not wish to be part of any research or study, besides it serves no purpose anyway.

This has the same weirdness about it as did the B.I. Pirate.

In closing, my name is Cathy Garland, I live on Beaver Island and recently moved here because it is an honest, safe, open armed friendly community. I stand of the format of wanting to preserve it as such and keep it free from crime, free from destruction of its natural beauty, to keep our children safe from predators, keep out drug dealers, protect our elderly from people who might pray on them, participate in keeping the neighbor helping neighbor traditions alive and have chosen to speak up because something about a study being done on generational communities just seems like a front for something else.
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

I agree Cathy and i think sometimes we are too open armed and maybe we should be the ones asking questions!!
Stephen C. West

Post by Stephen C. West »

May I second your remarks Cathy and Sheri.
anniep

Post by anniep »

Thank you Cathy, for speaking up! I have found this to be a rather creepy experience...
cathyg

Post by cathyg »

Quote from Kerrie Gillespie left over on the "Bad Bike Rental Topic.
I just felt it should be added to this topic for your consideration regarding this topic of who is Sidney Kendly Murphy.

she said:.......

"Sid, i've missed your research objective. Please, do tell. One would think it may be anthropological, judging from your decision to "study" the political/social dynamic of the Beaver Island people. However, it is extremely uncharacteristic of an ethnographer to be suggesting and offering advice to the cultural group of people they are to observe and learn about. I'm certainly not saying your responses aren't purposeful and/or with good points, they typically are, but as a student/research assistant at U of M, i'm familiar with organized research and your approach is interesting. Tell your story and be genuine in doing so, or i can assure you your island subjects will turn their back on helping you before you even ask for their permission to study them. I'd say that's pretty fair!

Best,

Kerrie Gillespie
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

I too have found this person very questionable.Very odd indeed.
Sidney Kendyl Murphy

Post by Sidney Kendyl Murphy »

Dear Cathyg, et al: Thank you for expressing your anxiety over my physical existence and credentials. You have done your research well and can be a member of my research team anytime. Let me attempt to bullet point yours and others concerns, all of which are valid:
1. Sidney Kendyl Murphy (SKM) does in fact exist but not in conventional terms.
2. SKM is a pseudonym used to conceal identity just as a pen name or ghost writer does for an author.
3. Why the pseudonym? It is not uncommon when researchers are contracted by government agencies to do sensative and confidential research, they use pseudonyms. This type of work usually entails research for an exclusive client whereas the research will never be published for public or acedemic knowledge. This is done for safety and security reasons for the researchers, allowing them to remain anonymous except to the client at the highest levels. Our government clients are generally in the DOD, Department of Defense or Homeland Security, dealing with geopolitical conflict where the conflict evolution can be traced back to multiple generations. In simple terms, why do some people in other parts of the world have a deep distain for the United States of America and its people to the point of initiating terrorism or war? Not fun reading material or research.
4. DOD work encompasses a minor portion of our work whereas most recently we have worked for the Brazilian government researching inter and intra generational conflicts with tribes concerning logging and other key environmental issues in the Amazon rain forest.
5. If you search for John Vidal using Amazon or Amazon tribes, you should be able to locate his work that we followed up on but were never colleagues in joint projects. He is aware of our work just as we were aware of his, but functioned separately.
6. You will not find any published research under SKM.
7. Than who is SKM? SKM is an anthropomorphosis which simply means a transformation of three individuals into a morphed composite as one individual, that being SKM.
8. If you do not trust me on anything else, please trust me in that computer savvy is not the skill set I bring to our team nor the mere premise of it ever happening.
9. SKM is not researching anything regarding Beaver Island or its community. We are in the process of "resourcing" as a preliminary to research studies. This simply means we are gathering data through contact and conversaion via the Beaver Island Forum to assist in the determination of further research in the future being feasible or warranted. If we do research on Beaver Island, everyone will know well in advance..
10. Why Beaver Island? I have been reading the Beaver Island Forum for almost a year and find it most interesting relative to the interpersonal dynamics of those posting. I recommended Beaver Island to my colleagues and they concurred.
11. One of my colleagues is responsible for Washington Island "resourcing" and so I am not sure the Chamber would be notified of that fact at this stage. If Washington Island is selected for the research study, the Chamber will be made very much aware of that fact and I am sure willing to share it with you.
12. I have had two off line conversations with individuals from Beaver Island to date. The first was with Mr. Gillespie and that correspondence has now been posted the the Beaver Island Forum, no thanks to me. The other was with Mr. West in response to a clarification on a request for contact posted on the Beaver Island Forum. My friends and colleagues will tell you that I am neither exciting enough or daring enough for under cover espionage work.

Let me conclude by saying what I have gleaned to date is that Beaver Island is a very unique placed set away in time and space, made up of wonderful people who have a strong sense of community and caring for one another. I would never do anything to jeopardize any of these qualities or even believe I would posses the ability to do so. If you have a concern, I will respect your personal position not to read my posts. No one should feel compelled to read, agree with or respond to anything I place on the Beaver Island Forum. If this be the case, I respect and accept your decision but truly feel it maybe a loss for all of us.

Sid (SKM)
cathyg

Post by cathyg »

Dear SKM,

Blah, Blah, Blah, Yak, Yak, Yak,....still not impressed, nor covenienced, nor believe any of it. I feel your time, efforts, and research would better be put to use some place else.

I spoke with my cousin Gerta Ubenhad from Germany and she is a graduate from the University of Vonfullofcrap with a Post Doctorate Degree in a similar research as yours specializing in the field of Modern Culture Manureinpoop...maybe you could compare notes !!!!!!
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Sorry SKM but still creepy- even after the extensive explanation!!!
Kathleen Dvoracek

Post by Kathleen Dvoracek »

SKM - Are you with Woodrow??? What have you done with the Pirate????
Stephen C. West

Kathleen Dvoracek wrote:SKM - Are you with Woodrow??? What have you done with the Pirate????
:D :D :D :D Pirate is tied up below decks.
MJHansen

Post by MJHansen »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds something odoriferous about Sid. I know I'm not a member of this community, so I may be overstepping my bounds. Your questions and comments seem from the point of view of someone who was raised underground. While BI may have a pretty small winter population, the summer population is not much different than a thousand other small communities throughout the U.S., not to mention the 30,000 tourists every year. The island is only 30 miles off the mainland, and they have internet access and telephones. It seems to me that if you really wanted to conduct this kind of research, you'd look farther north. Canada and Alaska both have remote fly-in communities that don't see any tourists, have no cell phone or internet service, and come to the city once or twice a year to stock up on supplies and have it flown out to them.
No sir, I'm afraid it just doesn't add up. The only sound argument you have is that you work for the government. I can see the government spending money on worthless research on an inappropriate community. Though if the government and homeland security are that interested in Beaver Island, that concerns me some.
I'm afraid I'm not buyin what yer sellin, but you do have my curiosity piqued.
Stephen C. West

"4. DOD work encompasses a minor portion of our work whereas most recently we have worked for the Brazilian government researching inter and intra generational conflicts with tribes......" says SKM

Yeper the old BS Detector is reading 9.5 :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

confidential?
I hope that your exclusive cleint does not know how to use a computer - lest they find out that their cover is blown! :wink:
Sidney Kendyl Murphy

Post by Sidney Kendyl Murphy »

Thank you for your overwhelming responses.

MJHansen: Good minds think alike. One of our first research projects was in remote villages in Alaska funded by the Department of Interior. The initial research was conducted in 1993 with comparative studies done in 1997. We have not been back as a group since then but would love to do so if funded.
Beaver Island research, if conducted, would not be government sponsored and all monies for the cost of such would be through private grants.

Mr. West: You honor us with a score of 9.5 on your Bright Stars (BS) Detector. We hope not to disappoint you.

Megsing3: Any Beaver Island research will not be for clients requiring our confidentiality. Any previous confidential research was not conducted under/by Sidney Kendyl Murphy so there is no risk of breach. Thank you for your concern about our "cover". We are very cautious about guarding it and will do nothing to risk blowing our cover, even as we speak.

Sid