Ken Taylor

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Donegaljim

Ken Taylor

Post by Donegaljim »

I regret to advise Beaver Island that a long time resident, Ken Taylor, passed away today at his home in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He apparently had a stroke this morning followed by a heart attack. Ken's wife Judy passed away last year. Ken had a heart valve procedure some months ago and just recently had a knee replacement. He has been an active traveler over the past year with several trips to Costa Rica, Florida, and also an extensive cruise to Antartica.
Ken's son Steve lives right next door in Ann Arbor. Not sure what kind of memorial there will be, if any. Ken was not one who wanted to be fussed over. The only good news in this is that he went very quickly and likely did not even know it. I hope I will be as lucky as he was. I will pass on any additional information that I receive. I will miss him very much. Jim Birdsall, Vancouver, Washington
Jim Birdsall
Sailorman Larry

Re: Ken Taylor

Post by Sailorman Larry »

Ken was a good guy and did so much for the island. He will be greatly missed.
Karen T.

Post by Karen T. »

Oh, this is so sad. I am so sorry for Ken's passing.
BradG

Post by BradG »

Ken did so much good for the island. A truly generous soul. He’ll be missed.

Brad
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

What a kind and generous man Ken was! I am sad to hear of his passing.
Cindy
jeff connor

Post by jeff connor »

wow he was so good to me you have no idea
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

From Kirk McBride...
Kenneth Jay Taylor, 83, passed away suddenly at his home in Ypsilanti, Mi on Sunday, August 13th. He grew up in Midland, Mi with his two surviving bothers, Jerry and Richard Taylor.
He graduated from Western Michigan University with a teaching degree in mathematics and taught in the Ann Arbor area until retirement. He and his wife, Judy, also a teacher, spent summers on the Manitou Islands where Judy's father and grandfather were the lighthouse keepers. They began summering on Beaver Island after the Manitous became a National Park. They bought the Beachcomber and ran it as a popular ice cream parlor for a number of summers.
Ken was Judy's devoted and loving home care giver until her death in January of 2022 at home after a long struggle with Alzheimer's and 52 years of marriage. He is also survived by their son, Steve, of Ypsilanti.
Some fond memories of my dear friend are seeing him driving down Donegal Bay Road with his best 4-legged friend Hiram on his lap, head out the window. He would also live trap chipmunks and take them into the harbor to be released. He shortly discovered they were making their way back to Donegal Bay, so he confirmed it by spraying nontoxic paint on their tails. After that it became their home with plenty of sunflower seeds.
Ken had one phobia and that was hugging a man as a greeting. My favorite gesture in seeing him was making like I was going to hug him. I wish I could hug him now. Rest in peace my friend.
Tina Morgan

Post by Tina Morgan »

So sorry to hear of Ken's passing.....sending condolences to Steve and family, hugging each of you from my heart. Although I was on the "other side of the aisle politically", he always treated me with respect and kindness! Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord. And let perpetual light shine upon him . May the soul of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen. God Bless!
Wendy White

Post by Wendy White »

Ken was one of the most generous souls who ever graced the island.
When I made my exodus from the BIRHC, Ken generously helped facilitate the transport of my dental equipment (since the BIRHC offered me a measly $1 for my old, but functional equipment.)
When it became clear that they had nothing in place for the continuation of dental services, Ken paid transportation to the mainland for anyone who needed dental care, for a couple of YEARS! This blew me away!! He felt bad for the people, he did it for ‘everyman’. He fought the injustices that island politics generated. He was smart, generous, and funny! I, for one, will miss him. Rest in peace, Ken. 💕
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

If everyone that Ken Taylor helped were to post on this website at the same time, it would probably take the site down. As one recipient of Ken's help and caring, I am so sorry to hear of his passing. He was a strong supporter of Beaver Island News on the 'Net and Beaver Island TV, even when the posts and videos were not necessarily on the same political side as his beliefs. He and his wife were just wonderful people that I am so very glad I got to meet and keep up with after they left the island. Love and hugs to all who had his family in their hearts. Prayers for his family and all his friends and distant relatives.

Joe Moore
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

To Ken Taylor, a good, favorite and most generous mate. You've more than earned the right to sail forever on gentle breezes, full moon nights and nothing but sunny days. I know of no one who has done better and more generous deeds for Beaver Island organizations and individuals than you. In time, may there be a fitting plaque mounted in the Community Center expressing tribute for all you have done for the island. In that, you will live on forever in hearts and minds.
Ever so proud to call you a good mate. :cry: =D> :D
Skull&CrossBones
MoonstoneMary

Post by MoonstoneMary »

Thank you all for the information. My aunt Alice Crown is now living with us in Catalina AZ (just north of Tucson). She heard of Ken's passing and has been trying to reconcile herself to the loss. But we didn't have any real details. Alice will be 91 years old in November. She is loving the desert and being close to Dave's brothers (my father and uncle) and their spouses. But she is saddened to hear that one of her closest friends (Ken) has passed. She sent him a get well card knowing he was going into surgery. If anyone knows where we can send a condolences card, let me know. I can get texts at 94I-962-9O41. There are so many that we hung out with and got to know on BI that have now moved on. Ken (his sweet and giving spirit) will be missed.
Mary (& John) Phillips
Donegaljim

Post by Donegaljim »

I am sure you can send a card or letter to his son Steve at : Steve Taylor, 3143 N. Prospect Road, Ypsilanti, MI 48198-9426.
Jim Birdsall
MoonstoneMary

Post by MoonstoneMary »

Thank you Jim. This is just what we were looking for. Alice says she hopes you are doing well.
Donegaljim

Post by Donegaljim »

Alice and Dave were always some of Ken's favorite people.....for us too.
Jim Birdsall