Antho Vineyard

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

TaniaRH

Antho Vineyard

Post by TaniaRH »

Hello Islanders. I am on the island until November helping out at Antho Vineyard. As many of you know Kate and Adam were in the middle of renovating their farmhouse and building their vineyard business when they passed away. We are working hard to get things in order in the house, workshop and fields. In the vineyard we have started unhilling, weeding and prepping for trellis work. I am staying in Lucy the Airstream but until it gets moved to the shade it’s quite warm. The house has 2 decent rooms upstairs that I can use but there’s no furniture except for a lovely drafting table. If anyone has some decent pieces of furniture they want to get rid of and could donate to the cause that would be great. We could use a small lazy boy, little sofa or loveseat, a couple end tables, futon or small single bed. Please nothing that smells like mothballs. Doesn’t have to be fancy but clean, nothing too big and in decent shape. Also, if anyone had any time to volunteer with vine work we would take that too. We’re hoping for a good growing and healing season for Antho. Call or text Tania (231) 768-4603
miresident

Re: Antho Vineyard

Post by miresident »

Hello!
I knew Kate and Adam and enjoyed their company greatly, I think of them every time I drive by the vineyard.
I have volunteered a couple of times to keep their legacy going but I've been out of the loop for a while.
Can you or someone else explain what the future of the vineyard is to be? Is this a non-profit endeavor or a memorial of sorts? I'd love to know what dreams their family have for the vineyard as it's not been clear to me and others here.
BeaverIslandGuy

Post by BeaverIslandGuy »

Agree with #miresident. Can this be a going concern with island help?
IslandTruth

Post by IslandTruth »

Same.
I don’t understand and maybe I’m just out of the loop. But didn’t one (or both) come from a lot of wealth?
are we donating our time and energy to help the wealthy make money?

Is this endeavor for the community or for the parents to start a business? This island is made up of a lot of really hard working individuals who are just trying to get by.

Will this be a co-op type thing where the people who help are able to have a say in where the funds go? To make Beaver Island more beautiful?

Because currently, I don’t think anyone is even allowed to see the vineyard unless they are volunteering there.

Set me straight if I’m missing something here.
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

Grief is a process that takes time and compassion. There is no human that doesn’t have to deal with the loss of a loved one at some point. So I would encourage folks to just be kind so that healing can happen in its own way. Many questions remain regarding Antho and I can’t answer most of them. I did not know Kate and Adam though I am getting a sense of who they were through their friends, family, #lifewithoutwaiting and especially by being alone in their personal space at Antho. I see their creativity, positive attitudes and hard work all around. I’ve been with both sets of parents over the last 2 weeks. They’ve been here to help me get settled and to work the vineyard. They are warm, generous and wonderful people who are navigating grief, gratitude, personal transitions, family and so many other things. So for right now I am here to give them a break from making decisions regarding Antho. Some decisions are easier to make than others and they all need more time to work through things. They definitely all want to see what happens with the vines. I hope that my being here to care for the farm and the vineyard will offer them a little peace of mind.

On a personal note, I’ve been coming to BI for many years and took some of my masters level courses at the CMU Biological Station which was when I first fell in love with the island. I’ve worked in the field of botany, natural resources and horticulture for my entire career. I’ve been out of MI for the last few years but am so happy to be back for this season to be with the wild things that make my heart sing.

If anyone would like to spend time at Antho then please connect with me personally. If you were friends with Kate and Adam then it may be healing for you to spend time at the farm working with the plants. We’ve set aside Wednesday morning to noonish as a scheduled time for working in the vineyard. However, if other days and times work for you please let me know. Short donations of time are appreciated as well. There is so much to do and I really can’t do it all alone. Call or text with any questions. Tania (231) 768-4603
mbhawk

Post by mbhawk »

I didn't know Adam or Kate or the others lost in the crash. I don't know where their vineyard is. I don't know anything about how to grow grapes or make them into wine. Heck, I don't even drink alcohol (anymore). I'm old and out of shape, but the idea of helping restore vines appeals to me. In a world of wildfires, floods and war, watching a vine come back to life and produce fruit would give me a sense of hope. I understand island friends and neighbors wanting to know the future of the vineyard in terms of ownership, direction and all, and imagine answers to those questions will show up soon. Meantime, I see a chance to make a few new friends as a volunteer and help resurrect a dream two young people had. I'll bring the bug spray!
JamesBoyle

Post by JamesBoyle »

In regards for the request of furniture and the like, have you tried the resale shop? You could get what you need and help out a cause, it's a win win.
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

I should have provided the address and apologize for that. We are located at 33445 Kings Hwy. The driveway is about 1/4 mile with a gate at the end. Just pull past the gate and park near the other cars and big monster rocks. The vineyard is behind the house. It helps to have a confirmation text to confirm date and time you want to come by. Wednesday 8-12 we are prepared for visitors.
I’m happy to accommodate other days and times just let me know what works for you. I am enjoying meeting new people. The hunt for furniture and things has gone well. Some island residents and a few successful trips to the thrift store have pretty much filled the need for the items we were looking for. One things still needed would be a cabinet (metal would be best) for storage of chemicals.
Thanks again for everyone’s help.
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

Hello Friends,
(This note was created by Alan and Chris, Rob and LeeAnn, the parents of Kate Leese and Adam Kendall, in an attempt to clarify questions the Beaver Island community may have regarding the future of Antho Vineyards, but the short of it is: We don't know the future. We are still on survival mode.)
Our fundamental goal as parents trying to work through unspeakable grief, is to keep the vines alive to produce the first vintage of wine in honor of Kate Leese and Adam Kendall's dream.
The vines suffered two hard winters and we estimate loss of a year’s growth or more as a result. Kate and Adam's dear friends who have been helping us, Derrick Vogel and Izabel Babinski (Owners of Folklor Wine & Cider), suggested we need regular help at the vineyard this year, to keep a closer eye on the vines so we can make the best decisions possible on viability of the varietals they planted.
Faced with this unique need, Tani Hanline all but 'fell out of the sky' to us. Sid sent us the request Tania posted on this forum looking for work on the island. She came all the way from Arizona with only the promise of part time work and a completely empty camper to stay in!
She's smart, ambitious, positive, hardworking and such a knowledgeable botanist - What a Godsend she is!
Our jobs and family back on the mainland have squeezed the number of days we can work on the vineyard this year. Our history of coming in for big work weekends has proven to be not enough for the vines. Tania's presence will help us determine if the vines will ever be able to reach our one goal, to honor our Children.
Volunteers are much appreciated, the gardening is way more than Tania can do. She hopes people will come on Wednesday mornings, but if another day is better, please call 231-768-4603, (texting regarding Wednesdays would be good also). Thanks again to everyone who has helped us in so many ways!