Move to Beaver Island?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

HilaryRC

Move to Beaver Island?

Post by HilaryRC »

My husband and I are considering a move to Beaver Island. We have three boys ages 8,10, & 10. We are both retired Military Vets. What are the best aspects of living there? What are the worst? Please share! Thank you all so much!
BradG

Re: Move to Beaver Island?

Post by BradG »

Wow! Beautiful place with eagles, loons and wonderful lake views. Safe! We don’t lock the house or take the keys out of the cars. Lots of supportive people. A bit of culture shock. Prepare for winter, but it’s fun too. snowmobiling to places you can’t see in summer and the other islands. Road rage on the island is not waving! Come spend a little time first.

Brad Grassmick
BeanieBeanstalk

Post by BeanieBeanstalk »

Hillary, "its complicated". Like anyplace, it has it's pros and cons. Brad is correct that safety is huge plus. And some people like to say that every child is in the front row at school. And the Sherriff's Deputy knows your name, your car and your mother. The experiences you can have in nature are almost coveted. People help each other. Everyone waves. I could go on.

The down-sides are, food and gas are more expensive, you have to pay freight to get just about anything else to the island, and things don't happen quickly like they do on the mainland. For example, I had to wait 4 months to get my floors replaced. But I knew that would happen, so I just got in line as soon as I knew what I wanted. And not all medical services are available here, but EMS and the BI Rural Health Center Staff do a great job doing what they do.

One of my very favorite things about BI is that fashion is largely ignored. Peope mostly wear jeans and a t-shirt. Or maybe an unusual hat. Who would you be trying to impress anyway? .... an eagle? a pile of snow? a wildflower?
HilaryRC

Post by HilaryRC »

Thank you! We lived in Hawaii while active duty. We definitely understand paying freight for everything and much higher prices for everyday items.
Good news on fashion, we all dress for comfort!

Things we are still trying to figure out:

How do islanders get furniture to the island? Any recommendations on how to move our household goods across the lake?
sidburgess

Post by sidburgess »

Hi! Prior service myself as well. :) A VERY pleasant surprise is that we didn't need to bring furniture. There's a thrift store ran by the Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary which always has many items, plus garage/estate sales and local (Beaver Island only) classifieds has provided everything we need. There's a Facebook group specifically for BI things for sale.

I've found it cheaper in that way than say some mainland places where you're competing with a lot more people for the same table. :)

Hope that helps!
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

As stated above ......... PLAN A VISIT. Recommend at least a long weekend - better a week.
See www.beaverisland.org
No problem moving furniture - ferry boat.
We love Beaver - lived there for 20 years.
Looking forward to a return visit in Aug.
Thanks for your service.
Semper Fi
Plan a visit.
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Hey Retired Chamber Guy, Glad to see those fingers again dancing across the keyboard. Obviously I'm not going to make it to Camden anytime soon but how about we get together in August on the island. I hear there is a special at the Shamrock. Pay double for the first and third drinks and number two and four are free. Can't beat that with a stick even in Camden. 8) 8) 8)
Skull&CrossBones
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Thank you so much for posting your questions. I had to laugh about the local woman’s answer that the sheriff knows everyone by name! I definitely know to wave! 👋 I’m also considering a move back to the area as a native of Charlevoix. I’m looking at land and excited to eventually be a part of the Beaver Island community. Best of luck to you and your family
tkludt

Post by tkludt »

Reality sets in...
The Island is a beautiful place and has some nice people. After quite a quite a few years of living here's a view from a a retired veteran.
Expenses are very high. Last check, building costs are high, of course location has a lot to do with this.
Plan on food, fossil fuel energy costs and incidentals being about 2x of mainland MI. Electricty cost are at par with most of Northern Michigan. Theres no natural gas.Land line phone and internet are outrageous for what you get. A budget of about $1500 per year per person to cover off island transportation trips for medical, shopping and such should be considered and you won't be far off. ( I don't know of an Islander who hasn't been stranded in Charlevoix trying to get home.). Overall, depending on your life style, plan on about 2x for expenses. Of course it always depends on your way of life.

Good luck in your endeavors.The Island always needs good recruits! Tom
BI.Busybee

Post by BI.Busybee »

My family and I had a summer house here and always enjoyed coming in the summer. One day we decided to change up our life style and make the move to the island from Novi MI. We moved here my 8th grade year, making friends wasn't hard. I must say the school is not like any other school. One of my favorite things I really loved was the sports. I played soccer, we got to travel up to the UP to play against other small schools. Soccer and volleyball are in the fall you play a game at night and again in the morning. During the winter they have basketball some winters we didn't get to travel much because of the weather, which was always a disappointment. Because the school is so small in the past students, parents and teachers were able to raise money for trips like DC and one year they went to Costa Rica and England another. The school also has a few extra clubs for the students such as the robotics club. I'm not in school anymore so I can't exactly tell you what else is there now. When I was in school I and a few other girls started a cheerleading group. Recently the school started a greenhouse which I volunteer at and I think is and great way to get kids involved with nature. The island gets small in the winter, if you don't mind spending time alone this is a place for you. Even in the winter I enjoy hiking through the woods as do many others. Great opportunities for ice fishing and snowmobiling or snow shoeing. Don't be afraid to start up your own club doing something you are passionate about we love new ideas. Stop by the hardware store when you come I would love to tell you more.