Classic moment at BI Post Office

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Walleyeguy

Classic moment at BI Post Office

Post by Walleyeguy »

Rushed to make to the 1 hourr that the Beaver Island US Post holds court on Saturday to try to locate a package that tracking shows they have been holding since Aug 3. No it's not signature required. Made it into the lobby door to find that fortunately the window was still open! There was an elderly woman at the window who picked up a large box from the counter. As she headed to the door I went back to front door & said "Let me hold the door for you". She thanked me & exited. I turned to find a younger male postal employee standing in front of the window who began closing the metal rolling screen. I said "Pardon me but I was next in line & was holding the door for a lady". He replied "sorry we are closed". Seriously?

Anyone want to bet a nickle that this guy would have acted differently if I was a year round resident? I'll be sure to give him a special "wave" when I pass him on the road.
jmedlin

Re: Classic moment at BI Post Office

Post by jmedlin »

Well, if the republicans in D.C. get their way, you won’t have to worry about poor customer service there because there won’t be a post office anymore. Perhaps the person behind the counter was a bit grumpy because, you know, they might be losing their job soon! :!: :(
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Walleyeguy, The "wave" should definitely do the trick. I've used it for years with no overt success but plenty of personal satisfaction. Speaking from experience, I would hold off on the "wave" until you pick up your package. Another thought is that maybe the gentleman at the counter was more efficient than you give him credit for. He may have seen you coming and had your package ready for you on the counter but the elderly woman picked it up by mistake. It wouldn't be the first time such a mix up has happened, most commonly at the dock or airport. Until you find out on Monday when the PO reopens, you might want to stalk all elderly women on BI as potential suspects. Please let us know what you find out. I love these BI mysteries. They are the kind stuff that my friend David Broder would write about this time of year.
:wink: :? :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Bucky Guy

Post by Bucky Guy »

No observation on the appropriate use of “the wave” - Pirate I agree my father would have likely commented on the current turmoil at USPS in DC and its impact on the island community here he loved and admired so much.
Sour grapes

Re: CLASSIC MOMENT ON THE FORUM

Post by Sour grapes »

CLASSIC MOMENT OF THE FORUM...

Instead of dealing with a complaint privately and finding out the circumstances one decides to come on the forum and bad mouth the community. [-X ](*,) [-X

Your comment about "if I was an Islander" is insulting and not credible. #-o

I will double down on that Nickle and tell you chances are it had nothing to do with Island status and more to do with he was just plain rude and needs a lesson in customer service. =;

Perhaps you would get further with your concerns if you reached out to the appropriate people with your concerns and didn't decide to "go all Karen" on the forum. :roll: :lol: :roll:

It has been a tough year for many. It was nice of you to help the woman. It is ashame the guy was rude.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Bucky Guy, You are correct that your father always used utmost discretion when printing humorous yet loving stories of island life. There is no one who loved his adopted island more than your father following in your mother's and grandmother's passion. As an example of discretion, I shared a story with him years ago but not fit for prime time print. After a party at The Hall, I returned to my Suburban, not unlike 25 others on the island. On the front seat was a small baggy of a leafy sort with an unsigned note saying, "enjoy and see you next Saturday". I did but didn't, not knowing who had generously left the packet and note. Obviously the wrong Suburban. Just one of a thousand stories that make us all love Beaver Island and the people, whether hayseeders or fishchokers.
The BIPO is one of the highlights of any day for me and many others. Efficiently run by conscientious, friendly people going back to Frank Nackerman's days. I am confident that all will end well for all.
8) 8) 8)
Skull&CrossBones
S Timsak

Post by S Timsak »

Just a heads up for those who are not sure about how things are done now but the post office has become more stringent on overtime and other things - that is not the fault of our postal workers here - they do an awesome job and I am sure that the young man in question was not being rude but following rules. When the shut down there system it is not able to be opened back up and anyone that has gotten a package over the last year or more knows that every package has to be scanned and accounted for. So before jumping on any bandwagon about the rudeness of the postal worker, please remember that they have procedures in place that they MUST follow.
Thanks
Sheri
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

Everyone should be required to work in customer service for a time to see what those who do work in the service deal with on a daily basis. People coming at closing time knowing it's closing time, yet they still go in. Expecting special privileges because "I come here all the time" . Complaining or taking it out on the worker because they don't agree with or don't want to follow the rules. The rules aren't set by the worker. Their job is to enforce the rules set by someone else. Why take it out on them. It costs you nothing to be respectful of a worker in any form of customer service. Try it some time.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

S Timsak wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:13 pm Just a heads up for those who are not sure about how things are done now but the post office has become more stringent on overtime and other things - that is not the fault of our postal workers here - they do an awesome job and I am sure that the young man in question was not being rude but following rules. When the shut down there system it is not able to be opened back up and anyone that has gotten a package over the last year or more knows that every package has to be scanned and accounted for. So before jumping on any bandwagon about the rudeness of the postal worker, please remember that they have procedures in place that they MUST follow.
Thanks
Sheri
Well said Sheri.
Bucky Guy

Post by Bucky Guy »

Hi Pirate, see his August 2001 column about the controversial action to remove the oak tree at side of the Post Office. Classic
hermit

Post by hermit »

I thought it was racist now to hold open doors for women?

Just kidding.
Nana

Post by Nana »

:-({|= :-({|= to all you folks enjoying the laughter at the expense of anyone trying G to be neighborly and do business at the post office.. what did you want her to do ... call the GOVERNOR? I hope all of you laughing folks are educated enough to realize that Beaver Island post office isn`t exactly the busiest post office.., ](*,) So [-X on all of you folks . Mail and packages seem to be more efficient coming straight from the airport.,,,, I have always seen and heard high quality customer service at the airport..., :D :D.
Maybe to fix this post office problem would be for you Beaver Island educated folk to write a grant for handy cap door then send `er on to Mrs. GOVERNOR ...... Yea I can`t hear the laughter... We all enjoy Gods world, and that is just what it is "Gods" not yours not mine.,... let's act that way

I am for the under dog. :D :D
hermit

Post by hermit »

Yikes Nana. Relax. Maybe come out or the basement. The weather is fine. After all social distancing works.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Bucky Guy, I don't need to look it up. The old oak tree at the top of Frankie Lane and the Back Highway was one of my many favorites. Another was Alvin (and I love you Alvin) running for the board of directors of the BI Historical Society, not realizing his term as chair had not expired. Details oft times hinder the best of intentions.
:roll: :lol: #-o
Skull&CrossBones
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Nana, grownups resolve issues, they don't go on a public forum and accuse someone of favoring a certain group of people. :roll: #-o [-X Seriously, bringing politics into it??? Leave the poor worker alone...he doesn't deserve a public lashing. [-X [-X [-X