The Governor has restricted travel "back and forth to vacation homes."

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... order.html

We look forward to returning to the island again when all is safe and crisis has subsided.Take care of yourselves and each other islanders!
Brendan McCaw
jmedlin

Re: The Governor has restricted travel "back and forth to vacation homes."

Post by jmedlin »

Are there any exceptions for the wealthy or those with private aircraft? What about exemptions for the religious who believe Jesus will protect them (and anyone they come into contact with) from the virus? Are they also exempt, or is this really for everyone? :mrgreen:
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Are you jealous of the wealthy and people with airplanes Jeff? Not much of a soap market on Beaver Island? Also nice slam to religious people. Maybe the wealthy people can fly into Beaver Island and buy your soap and then you could become wealthy??
vdetwiler

Post by vdetwiler »

In my opinion, bullying is nasty, and grown ups should know better. We are supposed to be setting an example for younger generations...I understand the internet is a nice place to insult and bully people without having to look them in the eye, but just because you can do it, doesn't mean it's right. With everything going on in our world, we need to come together and focus on what we have in common, not pick each other apart. Make Love, not war. Can't we all just get along? (Please dont bully me for speaking my opinion)
Also, judgement on what a person chooses to do for a living is petty, in my opinion. All jobs are important, none are any more or less so than any other. Promoting this elitist view of some work being less important is a huge part of the wage inequality in our country. Look who is working right now to sustain all of our lives! Minimum wage workers risking their lives to make sure we have gas and groceries. Slamming folks like that as some how being inferior to people who have had the opportunity to hoard money is assonine.
I don't use this platform often, part of that is out of fear of being personally attacked for sharing my opinion. Can't we all set a better example? We can discuss differences in opinion without getting personal or nasty.
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

islandliving wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:22 am Are you jealous of the wealthy and people with airplanes Jeff? Not much of a soap market on Beaver Island? Also nice slam to religious people. Maybe the wealthy people can fly into Beaver Island and buy your soap and then you could become wealthy??
No John, I am not jealous of the wealthy or those with planes. I just want to make sure the rules apply to everyone in order to keep everyone safe. I was being sarcastic to make a point, okay? As for the religious, they slammed themselves when they say stupid things like -and I quote- “Jesus will protect me from the virus”. You see, I care about the safely of the community enough to say that such people need to stay away. Yes, I hope to become prosperous some day, and God knows I would love for everyone to come back to the island ASAP and spend money with me, but at this time it is just not safe. As a result , I along with many small businesses, am seeing my business prospects for the coming year go down the drain like many bubbles of soap. However, for now I would rather stay poor AND alive, thank you very much! Judging by your comments John, not only do you appear to be a bully, but one of those anti-social individuals who thinks this is all a ‘hoax’…please correct me if I’m wrong though. Oh, and thanks for giving me a great idea!: I think I will have a soap sale. It’s a great product and soap actually kills the corona virus!
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Soap is also good to tame childish behavior and potty mouths. Perhaps you could use of your own soap jmedlin to learn how to get your point across without being so confrontational. During stressful times like this the last thing anyone needs.
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

O Mr. Taylor, you are our leader of bantering. For now you are are also generous and helping many of us islanders, so for that we all thank you.
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

Sour grapes wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:13 pm Soap is also good to tame childish behavior and potty mouths. Perhaps you could use of your own soap jmedlin to learn how to get your point across without being so confrontational. During stressful times like this the last thing anyone needs.
Aww,..fair enough, sourgrapes, I won’t say anymore after this because I would hate to seem confrontational and you clearly melt like a snowflake. But how am I a potty mouth? Unlike some others, I have not written a single curse word or threatened anyone here. And why do you and islandliving bring my product into the debate? What does that even have to do with it? Seems immature to me. And unlike you, at least I have the grapes to speak my mind under my real name!
jmedlin

Post by jmedlin »

ktaylor wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:51 pm I really hate to see this kind of bantering back and forth. It does no one any good. :D
You are right, Ken. Normally, I shun social media for this very reason, it really brings out the vitriol and the worst in everyone, especially now. Normally, I am too busy making soaps and doing other productive things, but now I don’t have as much to do and couldn’t resist the urge to make some commentary on social and economic inequality. How dare I! I apologize if I have offended anyone. :-({|=
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

I stand corrected you are not a potty mouth, that was someone else on the other thread. However, calling me a snowflake may be close to getting there. :lol:
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Let's all try to keep it positive! There is no reason to do otherwise! Things are bad enough. I've known Don Seeyle for 50 years. He flys in, parks in his own hangar, get's in his car stored in that hangar and goes to his cottage. There was nothing wrong with the thought. He wasn't going anywhere near 6 feet or 600 feet from anyone in that case. The thread turned into a crap shoot which should not have been! He is not a rich man, a working stiff all his life with the ambition to fly and own an airplane. Keep it light folks. We all own the patch we live on just as he and others do! Peace out!
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Thank you Richie, all I was trying to do was to defend Don in the beginning also when a couple of people were slamming him and calling him names for no good reason at all. I’m sure all that were negative don’t even know Don. Then to just keep it going wasn’t right either. I just hope Don sees through some people and is not offended.
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

I am not choosing to comment on a lot of this, simply because the majority of people that I know are responsible, caring, and loving adults. I am sending my love and hugs to all the Beaver Island people, year rounders and summer residents as well.

This is a difficult time, but responsible people can do what works for them and their families. I'm not going to judge you no matter what decision you decide to make.

I just hope that any that aren't concerned about this virus will stay away or quarantine themselves to protect those who have serious medical issues, and will most likely die if they get this virus.

I have lost my brother to this virus. He lived in Traverse City. Phyllis has lost a cousin to this.

All I want is simple. Please be responsible in whatever you decide to do. I'll still wave at you when you are here. I'll still be friendly to you when I see you.

I will continue to provide information when it is sent to me.

Stay safe!

Joe Moore
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Mr. & Mrs. Moore, So sorry to hear of your loss. Your words on this post are well spoken and I hope taken to heart, literally. I recently heard it said that the economy will come back, those we have lost will not. A thought to bear in mind for the entire island as options for getting back to normal are considered. My thoughts are with you and your family.
:cry: [-o< :cry:
Skull&CrossBones
BradG

Post by BradG »

Joe,
Pam and I are sorry for your loss. Hopefully your words will help prevent another one. I think we’re doing a good job mostly here, but I’m still hearing about unnecessary travel. Like Dr. Fauci says the virus will tell us when it’s ok. Until then no risks we can avoid is the only way we can go.

Brad