Red Rowley RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Red Rowley RIP

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Word has been received from Arizona that Red Rowley passed away last evening. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
BobTidmore

Re: Red Rowley RIP

Post by BobTidmore »

They don't make anymore like Red. What a great person and a great Veteran and an example of the excellence of the Marine Corps.
steveandelaineonbeaver

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

Semper Fi - Red Rowley, Marine – Gentleman – Friend.

RIP

If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
Sailorman Larry

Post by Sailorman Larry »

Red will be missed by so many. I enjoyed having coffee every morning with Red. One of a kind!
Larry Hansz
Daddy Franks

Post by Daddy Franks »

I am so sad to hear this. Red was a true friend. He looked out for me and my business. I bought him a Coffee cup that said "Head Cheese" on it. He tried to keep everyone in line! I hope heaven has a round table and coffee, cause one day, I want to be sitting next to you!
Thank you Pat for sharing him with me.
Kathie Ehinger
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Red's character can never be forgotten nor can the memory we have of him. My favorite is the story how he stole the heart of his lovely bride Pat. He glowed just speaking her name. She was loved by him more than the heaven's themselves. We are very sad to hear of his passing and wish his family all good things.
burton
Ken Darwin

Post by Ken Darwin »

What a wonderful character and the best neighbor! We had so many backyard chats. He and his "Big Mama" had such adventures and he loved to tell us about them. Miss those stories! He was always ready to help with any project and he usually added a few laughs to the experience! He will be missed by so many. Love to Pat and family... Jane and Ken
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

It will be hard to miss a person you will never forget, yet I will. When anyone mentions red, only one thing will come to my mind and it won't be the color. It will be the colorful person. If you know Pat, you know his name was John but to the rest of the world he was "Red". There wasn't anything that guy couldn't fix, or break again and fix again. One time I asked him if he ever tinkered with his airplane engine. It was the wrong question for me to ask him at 1,000 feet over Lake Michigan. That was before Pat's VW caught on fire after one of Red's tune ups. By then he was fortunately or unfortunately no longer living his love of flying.
Red, you leave me with a tear in my eye, a smile on my face and hole in my heart. The same heart that goes out to Pat and the family he loved more than anything. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Skull&CrossBones
Sharolynhunter

Post by Sharolynhunter »

I am so very sad to hear this. Serving him coffee, drinking coffee with him having conversations sometimes meaningful other times he had you gasping trying to catch your breath from laughing, he was the best. He was the first person to introduce me to Pickle Ball. What Doug and I will remember the most was his "Pearls of Wisdom". One of our favorite pearls that he often repeated was,

"A promise made, is a debt unpaid".

May we all live by that pearl. With tears in my eyes Red, I can hear your voice, Carry on soldier, heaven is waiting for you. :(
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

I met Red my first time on the island, when I stopped in at Daddy Frank's for a cup. My wife and I were discovering Beaver Island for our 25th anniversary. I knew nobody yet, so when I picked up my coffee cup, I turned to scan the room for a table. He caught my eye, and at the same time he pulled out a chair next to him at his table, and motioned me to it. Then, he turned to the rest of the guys at the table, and introduced me, "This is the guy who is getting us all in trouble with our wives." My wife and I had been walking all around town, holding hands, and apparently Red noticed. Red is one of the factors that led to us buying our place two years later.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

If anyone wishes to send Pat a sympathy card, you can message me on here or email me at lafrenieremarie51@yahoo.com for her address.
Ken Darwin

Post by Ken Darwin »

I talked with Pat this morning. She is not planning a service for Red at this point but said to suggest the Beaver Island Christian Church if anyone wants to send a memorial. I'm sure she would appreciate any cards or notes. She could use some love from Beaver Island friends!
Jane Darwin