A reminder and an addition

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

meadefamily

Re: A reminder and an addition

Post by meadefamily »

Edited:

I think I needed to change the wording of the question I asked. I am on the road now. I will try later.

Thanks!
Last edited by meadefamily on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Ken

There is no need to be nasty. My questions were: Does the airfare include ALL medical services or just the ones not available at Health Center and can the patients use the transportation mode of thier choice. Via boat or plane. Seems odd that would cause rage. I missed the word ALL

Have a good night

Kathe
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Dear Ms. Meade, I don't speak for Mr. Taylor but I think his rage might be that you are always needling him. He has been a generous benefactor to people on the island who have suffered as a result of the HC's negligence of not providing a dentist for almost two years. He is a benefator not the island travel agent arranging transportation options for patients. If they don't want to fly Island Airways then they should be free to take the boat, Fresh Air, fly themselves but on their nickel.
Now I'm going to bed suffering from a little too much rum and a little too little sleep but it was a fun night down here with friends. ](*,) #-o ](*,)
Skull&CrossBones
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Pirate,

If you don't speak for Ken the don't...

I agree, Ken should not be a travel agent.

Not sure how asking a simple question is needling.
Flying or boating is a personal thing and choosing who they feel comfortable with seems fair. Especially if the are ill. Some people don't fly well. I know of many people that won't fly and only travel by boat when they can. Obviously in medical emergencies they have to fly, but for dental and non emergency medical they only boat.

In a discussion with island friends the question of limitations in Ken's offer came up. Many are afraid to post on forum. I said I'd ask.

Relax boys...
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Ms. Meade, I'm up early, short night. Forgot I had a doctor's appointment this morning. Maybe with your caring concern for travel modes you should become the island travel agent and benefactor taking Mr. Taylor off the hook. Like you say, asking for a friend.
Gotta run, is that a bee I hear? No, it's just me saying to buzz off. Old joke, got it from my first girl friend in fourth grade. Enjoyed fourth grade, was my favorite grade both years. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
Beaver Bump

Post by Beaver Bump »

Now Pirate you admitted you are Kirk but continue to try to confuse people as if there are two of you, don't you think the good people of BI deserve better than that.

Watching Kirk and Ken's friendship is very interesting - when Kirk needs defending/support Ken pipes right in but when Ken needs defending/support the BI Pirate jumps in, why wouldn't Kirk use his own name to be Ken's friend? It will be interesting to see which Kirk responds to this...………….

Now BI Pirate/Kirk I hope your Dr. appoint isn't anything to serious. I just went in for a damaged foot, all that hard work is hard on a body.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Dear Beaver Bump, I was being sarcastic when I said I was Mr. Mcbride. I am no more him than Beaver Bump is Andy Kohls. I think Mr. Mcbride has enough things going on without having your rumor that the curse of being the BI Pirate hangs around his neck like a noose. So far you have guessed wrong on a number of people being the pirate like Dickie and Doc Fix, must be it is just his turn to be on your top 10 list. :D :roll: :D
ps - Hope the foot is better. Was it damaged inserting into your mouth? [-o< [-o< [-o<
Skull&CrossBones
Beaver Bump

Post by Beaver Bump »

Pirate/Kirk -
Getting a little testy...….sorry I didn't mean to let the cat out of the bag!

I was a little confused by part of your comment but I guess it is of no true relevance.

Interesting to see which of you replied to my comment wasn't it.
MarissaCrandall1

Post by MarissaCrandall1 »

I have to say- I’m really disappointed that there is any negativity toward Ken right now.

Regardless of what any one thinks or says- I am absolutely blown away by what you have given to people already Mr. Taylor. Please don’t allow the negativity of others and their judgements to keep you from spreading your help and love to others!

Thanks again for everything you have done and continue to do!!
taramariepalmerpop

Post by taramariepalmerpop »

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why it is even the slightest business of anyone’s to question where Ken chooses to make his donations. It is not your money and therefore none of your business. He is not required to buy these tickets but is generously doing so. Who do you think you are to question the where or why? And when will you be making your ticket donations to Fresh Air and BIBCO, if you are so concerned?! We will all be waiting for the announcement. In the meantime, thank you Ken for your generosity to many islanders who struggle to have their healthcare needs met on the island and have to travel to receive care.
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Tara

It was not my intent to upset or question the reasoning. As I said before...in a conversation it was brought up if BIBCO could be used or other airlines. A couple was afraid to ask because of the attacks made on the forum. This particular couples spouse does not fly well and trys to only boat. When she has to go off island for medical she arranges to stay with a friend over night in Harbor Springs. She also attempts to make all of her appointments when boat is running. When she has to fly she does better on a bigger plane, hence prefers the Queen.

As far as the question about when medical tickets could be used they were looking for clarification. Are they for services that are not available on island, or for anything. They did not want to take advantage.

Ken's offer is very generous and I agree he has the right to structure it any way he wants. That was not even a concern. I don't see above anyone was challenging Ken or his arrangements, just asking a simple question.

Based on your response, and others I can certainly understand why they did not want to ask.

Kathe
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Ken

Again, my intent was not to start a war with you or cause you stress. I was unaware it was a sensitive issue. If you would like me to go away then please stop attacking me.

Kathe
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Ken,
I really don't know anything about where the visiting doctors fly, I do know that the physical therapist that comes over to the BIRHC twice a week comes over on Island Airways. According to my calculations Island Airways would be benefiting from this over $9,000 a year, so this is a win win situation for BI, the residence have a therapist here two days a week because of BIRHC (I have benefited from this myself) and Island Airways benefits additional income because the health center has him come here. I am not sure how it is figured who uses which airline or if they use the boat, as with anybody here we have that choice but it is clear that businesses and individuals are benefiting because of BIRHC bringing over additional professionals.

I am not trying to pick a fight, just trying to help get ALL the facts out because it seems that often only partial facts are given which makes so it isn't a clear picture to the residence of BI. So although I really don't know for sure if Fresh Air as Ken has state is benefiting from visiting Dr. up to $2000 because of BIRHC, it sounds like maybe both airlines are benefiting and good for them!

By the way I also know there is one doctor that is scared to fly so he only comes in the summer on the boat! :D
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Ms. Meade, I know your fingers itch and get the urge to dance across the keyboard whenever you hear the name Ken Taylor but your current missive is a little too much, a little too late. The HC has promised the dentist will be set up and running in March, before the boat starts running. Stay with me here before those fingers start to dance! There should be no need for Mr. Taylor to sponsor flights for dental care after that date. So please advise your, "asking for a friend", they no longer need to fear flying after March. And I might add, it wouldn't have bankrupted the Boat Company to have stepped up during this crisis and matched Mr. Taylor's offer by providing free passage on the boat for dental patients during this crisis. It would have been great PR and a wonder gesture for the people of BI who support the boat. But no, Mr. Taylor steps up and takes nothing but grief from you and others.
Now let those fingers dance across your keyboard but I don't give a rip because I'm headed out on the water with a cooler of Blue Moon, sandwiches and a bottle of Rum. :shock: :? :roll:
Skull&CrossBones
Beaver Bump

Post by Beaver Bump »

Pirate Kirk,
Anything with the health center your right in with your negative twist.....do you plan to do your debate with or without your eye patch?? It is going to be interesting to see which one of you show up that day. Lets see now you are bad mouthing the Boat company because they haven't donated....you need some positivity in your life, that easy living in the Keys :roll: isn't extending your life a bit. With the blood pressure you must have maybe your should be a little nicer to the BIRHC because you might need to use them, then again that must be why you try to hide behind a fake name :^o ….to bad your found out.

Since your are not here you would not know how very cold it is, I need to get my teeth to work as I need as much wood as I can get, enjoy your boat ride.